Help Please : IC Tahiti and other places pre and post cruise

Hi, I am sorry if this has already been covered (although I couldn't see it).. I am taking a PG cruise 4th July.. 7 nt cruise...

We are from UK and this will be our first time to this part of the world, and because of the distance not sure when we will make it back again! So want to maximise on everything..

We will have 5 nights pre cruise arriving in FP from LAX early am... I am looking at spending 4 nts on another island, then 1nt at the IC Tahiti and then we have a further 4 nts which we have already booked on Tahaa island.

I have a few questions, which if any of the experienced PG cruisers could answer I would be grateful! Sorry to ask so many questions....

1. Is the IC Tahiti the preferred hotel for pre cruise stays? I have seen mention of luggage being taken to the ship from the hotel... does that apply if you book the hotel independently? Or does it have to be booked via PG?

2. What is the distance from the IC Tahiti to the cruise terminal?

3. The 4nts pre cruise and before staying at the IC Tahiti, for the night before the cruise... everyone on cruise critic and Trip Advisor seems to recommend Moorea or Bora Bora... however the ship overnights at both these places should we consider staying somewhere else?

Really want to see as much as possible, so would it not be overkill to stay on either of these islands pre cruise?

4. Also, depending where we stay pre cruise... as the ship does not sail until very late.. should I give up on staying at the IC Tahiti, and stay 5 nights somewhere else pre cruise and then transfer on the day of cruise?

I am always nervous of doing this, in case a transfer fails.....

Hi, I am sorry if this has already been covered (although I couldn't see it).. I am taking a PG cruise 4th July.. 7 nt cruise...

We are from UK and this will be our first time to this part of the world, and because of the distance not sure when we will make it back again! So want to maximise on everything..

We will have 5 nights pre cruise arriving in FP from LAX early am... I am looking at spending 4 nts on another island, then 1nt at the IC Tahiti and then we have a further 4 nts which we have already booked on Tahaa island.

I have a few questions, which if any of the experienced PG cruisers could answer I would be grateful! Sorry to ask so many questions....

1. Is the IC Tahiti the preferred hotel for pre cruise stays? I have seen mention of luggage being taken to the ship from the hotel... does that apply if you book the hotel independently? Or does it have to be booked via PG?

2. What is the distance from the IC Tahiti to the cruise terminal?

3. The 4nts pre cruise and before staying at the IC Tahiti, for the night before the cruise... everyone on cruise critic and Trip Advisor seems to recommend Moorea or Bora Bora... however the ship overnights at both these places should we consider staying somewhere else?

Really want to see as much as possible, so would it not be overkill to stay on either of these islands pre cruise?

4. Also, depending where we stay pre cruise... as the ship does not sail until very late.. should I give up on staying at the IC Tahiti, and stay 5 nights somewhere else pre cruise and then transfer on the day of cruise?

I am always nervous of doing this, in case a transfer fails.....

So let me get this straight. You have a post-cruise stay on Taha'a. Is the 1 nt at the IC Tahiti post-cruise as well? No reason to come back and stay at the IC Tahiti before the cruise (see below.)

If you have 4 nights pre-cruise, I would definitely try to get off of the island of Tahiti. Moorea is a great choice, since it's close (making transfers less fraught), has lots to offer beyond what you can see on the ship's visit, and is more reasonably-priced in general than Bora Bora.

Bora Bora means a flight both ways, whereas Moorea can be done via ferry (or a short hop flight) and will feel easier if you have transfer jitters.

Our last trip, we did 3 nights on Moorea. Our flight into Tahiti arrived early. We chose to wait a couple of hours at the airport and fly over to Moorea (really, it's about a 20 minute flight), but we could have taken a cab to the ferry dock just as easily. We had a car rented on Moorea, so we were picked up by shuttle at the airport and taken to the car rental office, then we drove to our hotel. On departure, we surrendered our car and were driven to the ferry dock, where we walked up, bought our tickets, and waited for the next ferry. Walked off the ferry and across the dock to board the ship--very seamless and easy. No need to stay on the island of Tahiti the night before the cruise, if you're staying on Moorea.

Thank you.. very helpful.. the IC Tahiti is for the 1 night before the cruise...

I am trying to decide now for 4 nights whether to stay on Rangiroa - Kia Ora, or Tikehau - Ninamu.

This will be probably the only time I will visit FP so want to see as many islands as possible and it seemed a pity to stay on Moorea or Bora Bora when they are visited with overnight stops on the cruise...

If your budget permits it The Brando on Teiteroa is spectacular. It's a quick flight from Papeete. Since its owned by the same group as the PG there might be a pre cruise package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

If your budget permits it The Brando on Teiteroa is spectacular. It's a quick flight from Papeete. Since its owned by the same group as the PG there might be a pre cruise package.

Wow. That place looks spectacular. But at $3,000/night, I think we'll have to pass! :eek:

I am in agreement. The Brando is on my ...if I ever win the lottery list.... Doesn't hurt to dream.

More realistically, budget wise, we stayed at the IC Thelasso Spa on Bora Bora. It was delightful. I have heard the Sofitel on Moorea should also be considered. I'm sure others will chime in with recommendations for you. FP is outrageously gorgeous and I think you will be pleased wherever you choose to stay.

Thank you.. very helpful.. the IC Tahiti is for the 1 night before the cruise...

I am trying to decide now for 4 nights whether to stay on Rangiroa - Kia Ora, or Tikehau - Ninamu.

This will be probably the only time I will visit FP so want to see as many islands as possible and it seemed a pity to stay on Moorea or Bora Bora when they are visited with overnight stops on the cruise...

I can see why if you want to do Rangiroa or Tikehau that you'd want to fly back the night before, but frankly, our first visit ever we did a 4-night out in the Tuomotus (at a defunct hotel, alas), and flew back to Tahiti the day of the cruise. Their internal airlines seem very efficient, so you still may not have to do that.

Tikehau and Rangiroa are both "low islands", i.e., atolls. Both those resorts sound great--you will be very relaxed when you get on the ship! Don't know how you could find out which is better, such as which has the best snorkelling or diving. You could try here: http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/forums

• 2 weeks later...

We went on the 10 night Cruise on April 29,2015 and prior took the quick and easy ferry ride to Moorea. We went to the Hilton and stayed in a Panoramic OWB at the end of the pier. It was amazing. If you are into snorkeling and water sports their lagoon has lots of coral and great marine life. It was not cheap but we booked the long stay (5 nights) and it included breakfast and had a large discount.

You can save by not flying to another island if you like and have some great time on Moorea. Even though we spent ship time in Moorea it was great to have much more time. The resort was so nice we barely left. Super quiet and we snorkeled for hours every day.

Just a thought. Some of the other islands seem really small to spend much time at but just my opinion. Even Moorea has little to do compared to the Caribbean, Thailand or Hawaii. More was just right for us

• 1 month later...

Crisp 1 and Princess Jessie Enjoy and cruise and will wait for detailed review once you are back. Princess Jessie, I am also from U.K and not much information available. Your advise will be very valuable to me. Thanks in advance. Have a smashing cruise.

Crisp 1 and Princess Jessie Enjoy and cruise and will wait for detailed review once you are back. Princess Jessie, I am also from U.K and not much information available. Your advise will be very valuable to me. Thanks in advance. Have a smashing cruise.

Smashing ? :eek::rolleyes: I hope not. Incredible, most likely. Yes, I do plan to post a detailed review. We leave in 4 days!

We returned last week from our 4th PG cruise. We stayed at the Hilton on Moorea precruise and it is a great option. Inexpensive to get their via very and spectacular snorkeling (overwater bungalow is the way to go). This was our 3rd time there.

The last time we did the Kia Ora for 6 nights post cruise. The diving was great and the snorkeling from the OWB at the Kia Ora was OK but not as good as on Moorea. Rangiora is very, very quiet. Very few restaurants, really little to do except to relax, snorkel or dive. The better diving requires an excursion. It is very, very pricey in comparison to Moorea, probably 50% more expensive. Having been to Rangiora I really would not return. It is just too quiet for us.

• 3 months later...
We went on the 10 night Cruise on April 29,2015 and prior took the quick and easy ferry ride to Moorea. We went to the Hilton and stayed in a Panoramic OWB at the end of the pier. It was amazing. If you are into snorkeling and water sports their lagoon has lots of coral and great marine life. It was not cheap but we booked the long stay (5 nights) and it included breakfast and had a large discount.

You can save by not flying to another island if you like and have some great time on Moorea. Even though we spent ship time in Moorea it was great to have much more time. The resort was so nice we barely left. Super quiet and we snorkeled for hours every day.

Just a thought. Some of the other islands seem really small to spend much time at but just my opinion. Even Moorea has little to do compared to the Caribbean, Thailand or Hawaii. More was just right for us

So let me get this straight. You have a post-cruise stay on Taha'a. Is the 1 nt at the IC Tahiti post-cruise as well? No reason to come back and stay at the IC Tahiti before the cruise (see below.)

If you have 4 nights pre-cruise, I would definitely try to get off of the island of Tahiti. Moorea is a great choice, since it's close (making transfers less fraught), has lots to offer beyond what you can see on the ship's visit, and is more reasonably-priced in general than Bora Bora.

Bora Bora means a flight both ways, whereas Moorea can be done via ferry (or a short hop flight) and will feel easier if you have transfer jitters.

Our last trip, we did 3 nights on Moorea. Our flight into Tahiti arrived early. We chose to wait a couple of hours at the airport and fly over to Moorea (really, it's about a 20 minute flight), but we could have taken a cab to the ferry dock just as easily. We had a car rented on Moorea, so we were picked up by shuttle at the airport and taken to the car rental office, then we drove to our hotel. On departure, we surrendered our car and were driven to the ferry dock, where we walked up, bought our tickets, and waited for the next ferry. Walked off the ferry and across the dock to board the ship--very seamless and easy. No need to stay on the island of Tahiti the night before the cruise, if you're staying on Moorea.

We are on the PG next month from Fiji to Tahiti and we are doing a 3 post cruise night stay at the Hilton Moorea . Do we need to buy our ferry tickets in advance? Is there a website to see the ferry schedule?

How far is it from the dock to the ferry port?

The Hilton said they could send a car to pick us up at the ferry dock. Is it more convenient / and cheaper to just get a taxi on arrival in Moorea? Are there lots of taxis available ?

Hoping to gets some advice from experienced travellers in FP.

We are on the PG next month from Fiji to Tahiti and we are doing a 3 post cruise night stay at the Hilton Moorea . Do we need to buy our ferry tickets in advance? Is there a website to see the ferry schedule?

How far is it from the dock to the ferry port?

The Hilton said they could send a car to pick us up at the ferry dock. Is it more convenient / and cheaper to just get a taxi on arrival in Moorea? Are there lots of taxis available ?

Hoping to gets some advice from experienced travellers in FP.

Buying ferry tickets in advance not necessary. The ferry dock is only a few minutes walk. There is a website - just google MOOREA ferry. Taxis on MOOREA are expensive. Find out how much the hotel is charging you. In the last I have used Albert's for a transfer and they were 1/2 price of a taxi. I don't remember what we paid.

I agree, no need to buy ferry tickets in advance. There are two types of ferries with reasonably frequent service. We had a rental car (recommended) from Albert's so had a prearranged pickup and drop-off. Most folks have something pre-arranged, not sure how easy it is just to find a cab at the terminal--I would arrange something.