Explorer- Port Canaveral Pier issues

rolloman

Due to RCCL pier 1 not being completed on time, a logistic issue has occurred for the Explorer of the Seas. The ship recently sailed into PC and embarked the current cruise passengers at pier 10. Unfortunately for these passengers when they arrive back on Monday November 24, they will find the ship will be located at pier 6. Transversely new passengers leaving on Monday November 24, will find the ship located at pier 10 upon its return.

This morning I spoke to a port authority official. The cruise line will be offering free shuttle service to your specific parking lot for those who drive in for the cruise. The bus will be located in front of you as soon as you walk out of customs.

Royal Caribbean has also issued the following announcement to boarding passengers:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your November 24th, 2014, sailing onboard Explorer of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Please note that check in for your cruise will take place at 9241 Charles Roland Drive Terminal 6, Port Canaveral Florida, as stated in your cruise documents. Check in will take place from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM. We invite our Suite, Crown & Anchor Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 12:00 PM and 4:30 PM. We strongly encourage and recommend all other guests arrive at the following designated times based on your stateroom deck assignment to enhance the check in and boarding experience. Guests on Deck 10 at 12:00 PM, Deck 9 at 12:30 PM, Deck 8 at 1:00 PM, Deck 7 at 1:30 PM, Deck 6 at 2:30 PM, Deck 3 at 3:00PM, Deck 2 at 3:30 PM. On November 29th, 2014 the ship will be docked at Terminal 10 which is a different terminal from where you boarded. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Due to RCCL pier 1 not being completed on time, a logistic issue has occurred for the Explorer of the Seas. The ship recently sailed into PC and embarked the current cruise passengers at pier 10. Unfortunately for these passengers when they arrive back on Monday November 24, they will find the ship will be located at pier 6. Transversely new passengers leaving on Monday November 24, will find the ship located at pier 10 upon its return.

This morning I spoke to a port authority official. The cruise line will be offering free shuttle service to your specific parking lot for those who drive in for the cruise. The bus will be located in front of you as soon as you walk out of customs....

Interesting info. Might be easier for those who drive to use one of the offsite parking facilities.

Interesting, but there was always going to be at least one of these situations happening when the new terminal opened. It gives the port authority a good opportunity to do a practice run before they have to do it again in December.

Interesting, but there was always going to be at least one of these situations happening when the new terminal opened. It gives the port authority a good opportunity to do a practice run before they have to do it again in December.

The lessons learned from this go round are:

Do not wait until the last minute to notify passengers.

Make sure said notification states shuttles will be provided.

Do not send out conflicting information on cruise documents. (Half said 6 the other half said 10)

Do not make passengers beg for cruise docs. For Monday's upcoming cruise most did not receive docs at the 30 day mark. You had to call and have a force download in order to get your luggage tags. Some folks still do not have their docs. I personally had to call 3 times and only (last week)after I called Crown and Anchor was it resolved.

So can we assume that this will also be going on in December or is it just when certain other ships are in Port? We sail on Tuesday Dec 23 and Carnival Liberty and Sunshine are both in Port that Day.

The problem may only occur when two Royal Caribbean ships are in port, before Dec 27th. I believe that the new Terminal 1 is supposed to be in operation on Dec 27th, and if so, they should not have any issues with changing terminals.

Edited by clarea

The problem may only occur when two Royal Caribbean ships are in port, before Dec 27th. I believe that the new Terminal 1 is supposed to be in operation on Dec 27th, and if so, they should not have any issues with changing terminals.

Would it make sense then to "assume" those of us leaving PC 12/23 may leave from one term and return to new one on 12/27? just thinking of parking at port, and quick exit time to drive to Tampa for Vision trip 12/27.

Would it make sense then to "assume" those of us leaving PC 12/23 may leave from one term and return to new one on 12/27? just thinking of parking at port, and quick exit time to drive to Tampa for Vision trip 12/27.

Could very well be. You could use one of the offsite parking services instead.

So do you think when we leave on the 23rd and return on the 27th they might have us return to the new terminal? If so, we will have to shuttle back to the other terminal for our cars. Probably won't know until it happens.

So do you think when we leave on the 23rd and return on the 27th they might have us return to the new terminal? If so, we will have to shuttle back to the other terminal for our cars. Probably won't know until it happens.

Look for a flood of email, text, and voice messages from Royal. That's what we have received for a cruise on EX next month.

If the new terminal opens on the 27th as scheduled, RCL will have two operational terminals, so unless there is another ship scheduled for the old RCL terminal, you should arrive at the same terminal you left from. The ship that would be affected would be the FOS cruise that leaves on the 21st and returns on the 28th.

Could very well be. You could use one of the offsite parking services instead.

I usually do, but was planning on a "quick getaway" so was going to park at the port this time so I can get down to Tampa soon as I can to board Vision... :)

We shall see huh...lol thanks Clarea

Something you could do, reverse logic, park your car at the terminal the ship will be returning to and then take the shuttle to your embarkation terminal. This way when the ship comes back your car will be where it needs to be.

FYI....upon arrival, probably be a good idea to drop your bags first before heading to park.

Edited by rolloman
added info

That's if they will allow you to park at the new terminal if that is the one you would be coming back to

There will be other cars parked there from previous voyages. It will not be a problem. For instance as I said previously...current Explorer passengers will be shuttled from pier 6 to 10 tomorrow. Meanwhile, next cruise passengers tomorrow (which is mine) board at pier 10 and come back to 6. So the shuttles will be running between the two piers tomorrow and when I come back. The same will hold true for you.

I was actually talking about if they were to use the new terminal 1 which is scheduled to open the day we return, I doubt I could park there on the 23rd if they are not officially opened yet.

I guess you will have to wait and see how your particular sailing pans out. The circumstance may not relate to your sailing.

I was actually talking about if they were to use the new terminal 1 which is scheduled to open the day we return, I doubt I could park there on the 23rd if they are not officially opened yet.

That was my thought too.... :) wanna get going soon as I can to get to Tampa for next cruise...:D

Dont want to have to wait for shuttles etc.. but what will be will be wont it! lol and hopefully, like Clarea said, we may get communication...(or not)

We shall see.....

Whatever they do in Port Canaveral lets hope it's better than that fiasco when Explorer came in on Nov 15. What a mess.

Don't know who's idea it was to not let the shuttle companies come into the port and park awaiting their guests but they should be fired. Many people missed flights that normally would have been a breeze to make the old way.

I had a 9:30 AM pickup scheduled and our driver never did make it into the port.

Had to find another shuttle and barley made a 12:30 flight.

We're on the Jan 4th sailing of Explorer so I'll be watching with interest to see if the new terminal is open at its scheduled time.

On a related note we just upgraded to a balcony from an inside for $75pp for that sailing. :)

Very nice price for that upgrade!

This morning I spoke to a port authority official. The cruise line will be offering free shuttle service to your specific parking lot for those who drive in for the cruise. The bus will be located in front of you as soon as you walk out of customs.

Royal Caribbean has also issued the following announcement to boarding passengers:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with some important information regarding your November 24th, 2014, sailing onboard Explorer of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Please note that check in for your cruise will take place at 9241 Charles Roland Drive Terminal 6, Port Canaveral Florida, as stated in your cruise documents. Check in will take place from 12:00 PM to 4:30 PM. We invite our Suite, Crown & Anchor Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 12:00 PM and 4:30 PM. We strongly encourage and recommend all other guests arrive at the following designated times based on your stateroom deck assignment to enhance the check in and boarding experience. Guests on Deck 10 at 12:00 PM, Deck 9 at 12:30 PM, Deck 8 at 1:00 PM, Deck 7 at 1:30 PM, Deck 6 at 2:30 PM, Deck 3 at 3:00PM, Deck 2 at 3:30 PM. On November 29th, 2014 the ship will be docked at Terminal 10 which is a different terminal from where you boarded. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

From what we've read, RCL is doing the same type of bus shuttle for Quantum until the parking garage is finished!