Recommend pls - Dec. '14 Caribbean cruise w 4 kids

TOMomof4

We just did our very first cruise with Disney Wonder, 5-night Western Caribbean cruise. We had a wonderful time and are hooked on cruising! Looking for our next cruise for this December or Jan/Feb 2015. Problem is that we really can't afford Disney prices. They are outrageous, especially if we try to go over holidays so kids miss less school. Looking for recommendations for our family of 6 (2 inside staterooms is likely the route we'll take), kids will be 2, 6, 7 & 9 by the time we set sail Dec. 2014 (our 2-year-old turns 3 Jan. 2015).

We're looking for at least 7 nights. We didn't like Cozumel much (don't ask!) so maybe eastern/south caribbean instead of another western. Preferably we would sail from NY or Baltimore, or somewhere closer to where we are (up north) as getting to Florida is expensive. If needed, we could make the trek down to FL as well though.

My question is, have we been spoiled by Disney? Will we find all other ships not as good for family travel in comparison? Disney's pool was not too impressive, our kids do enjoy water activities, just not huge slides, so I think there's room for improvement over Disney in this area. Our kids are not dare-devil sports fanatics either, so rock climbing walls and such will not appeal to them. Some video games are a plus. Food was good at Disney, but I wasn't completely 100% sold on it. Our kids did enjoy the programs at the Oceaneers Club/Lab, but after reading some other feedback here, I wonder if they maybe didn't respond as well to the group setup Disney has. They enjoyed the characters visiting the programs and the magic show, but the clubs did seem a bit chaotic. They're naturally more shy, and while I think they had fun, I think other cruise clubs may make make an equally good impression? I brought them to one or two 45-60 minutes scheduled activities each day at the club. Our kids aged 8, 6 & 5, stayed together.

Also, does anyone else have pirate nights or other theme nights? This was a highlight of the cruise for us :) We also loved the great photos we got from the cruise (purchased package from the photographer), and having character photos and photos of our family as pirates is really lovely. Other cruise ships with characters do the photo op thing or is that more just Disney? Is Disney the only one who has the same staff move with you through dining each night?

Seems RCL is getting rave reviews here!?! Grandeur of the Seas?

Norwegian Gem? Quantum of Seas? I'm just concerned about ending up on an adult themed cruise that will seem really disappointing to the kids compared to our recent DCL experience.... Too bad DCL is so crazy expensive, especially for a family of 6. We enjoyed seeing the characters, but are not all-out crazed Disney fans either (didn't line up for Princesses...)

RCL, NCL or Carnival will suit you. Just because a ship has rock walls or slides doesn't mean you have to use them! You will find all of the above ships very "family friendly".

All of the cruiselines have phones in the cabins! Most cruiselines will give you a pager if your child is very young....you won't get them with older kids.

Make sure the ship you choose has something for the 2 year old...not all ships (even within a cruiseline) do!

We love NCL with our family of 7 (always get connecting balconies), but they will not let the 2 year old in the Kids club, and there are no pools for the diapered set. There is the under 3 zoo, where parents can play with their kids.

NCL is totally freestyle, meaning that the restaurants are like on land, show up to eat when you are hungry, and you get different waitstaff. We like it, because we found out on DCL that we didn't like assigned dining times.

The Gem does have the Nick characters, slime time by the pool, character meet and greets/breakfast, and a Nick show in the auditorium.

We only leave from NY, because it's so close, and saves a ton on airfare.

Oh and what kind of system do the clubs have for contacting you? Does RCL have pagers they give parents? Norwegian Gem do the same? Is Disney the only one with stateroom phones?

We have sailed on Grandeur - she is a beautiful ship, and it think the younger children would love her. But the older ones may have been spoiled by Disney. NCL has two fine ships - Gem and Breakaway. I have not sailed on either, but would like to try Gem (we like smaller ships), but Breakaway is brand new and has lots to offer. Also, they have amazing suites. Quantum will arrive in Nov 2014, and will be the latest mega ship. She will have tons to offer, but I fear her prices will be outrageous, especially over Christmas.

PS: RCI does give out pagers for the younger kids.

I think NCL will be better than Royal IMO. The Grandeur is a smaller ship and not as much to do onboard. The shows are spectacular on NCL. I also prefer NYC to Baltimore (and I live 20 minutes from the port of Baltimore). I would rather sail out of NYC- it's magnificent! And sailing back to the Statue of Liberty versus the cranes in Baltimore is way better. The port of Baltimore is an industrial port and there is nothing around the port worthwhile. At least with the NYC you can take a train or bus easily to the city and not have to park a car but I have parked at the port in NYC and it wasn't difficult.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain