alaska summer 2007

uscunc

I've only been on 1 3 day bahamas cruise so i'm kinda a newbie.

I really want to go on a cruise to Alaska in summer of 2007!:)

So I'm looking for information on all aspects of the trip. Cruise lines, itineraries, departure cities, etc.

I've seen HAL Cruises mentioned a lot.

I want the most for my money as this probably will be the first and last time I go.

I need lots of help.

I want to do my homework before i talk to a travel agent.

Thanks ;)

>>I want to do my homework before i talk to a travel agent.<<

There are thousands of detailed posts here to help. Spend a few days reading, using the search function for specifics, then if you still have questions, just ask. When you have detailed questions, somebody here will have the answers.

I want the most for my money as this probably will be the first and last time I go.
I haven't sailed yet (booked for July 4th 2007), but this is why I picked Carnival Spirit. I have checked many of the cruiselines and Carnival was the best "for me" - straight up - but they also offer a military discount so that was an extra incentive. If you like to be pampered then Carnival is not for you. Very low maintanance cruiseline.

The Spirit does 4 ports on it's north and south bound routes - and they seem to be in port longer than some of the other lines. Carnival also has a naturalist on board that talks about the scenery that is passing you by. I "believe" they have the cheapest balcony cabins out there and that was important to me.

I am in no way saying that any of the other lines don't offer some of the things that Carnival does and that others aren't as good - just telling you why WE choose Carnival - since you asked for opinions. We have sailed Carnival 5 prior times and one cruise on RCL. I like the value I get for my money on Carnival and it doesn't hurt that the food and crew are GREAT.

Yukon gave you GREAT advise - read these boards. Priceless information on here.

I'm with sea_u on this one. I booked Carnival because of the port times. And, I was able to get an aft-wraparound balcony on the Spirit.

Each line has its pluses and minuses. To me, the most important thing was the ports and the time in the ports on this itinerary. This is definitely a cruise, imo, where the ship is not the destination.

Hey, sea_u, are you booking with Capt Larry? I called today and booked a trip for July 21, 2007. They said someone else booked a July, 2007, trip yesterday...was wondering if it was you! :)

Yes-definetly research these boards before you book anything.

We were blessed with a daughter who sells discount cruises and she pointed out what itinerary to choose and what NOT TO CHOOSE! She says Princess and HAL are the best. they have the most experience and concentration in alaska.

She steered us to THIS WEBSITE first! She's been on an Alaskan cruise so she knew what was what first hand. make sure you deal with someone WHO KNOWS ALASKA!

Enjoy the journey. If I can help you in any way with what I've accumulated here as a newbie also, Ill try.

There are several very experienced Alaska travelers on this boards. You'll catch on to them!!!

Hey, sea_u, are you booking with Capt Larry? I called today and booked a trip for July 21, 2007. They said someone else booked a July, 2007, trip yesterday...was wondering if it was you! :)
It wasn't me - but HEY - if they are taking reservations then I'm in. How much was the deposit?

She says Princess and HAL are the best. they have the most experience and concentration in alaska.
I have heard the same thing and it does hold true - they have done it a long time and have more ships. Carnival only has the one but from what I hear they do a pretty good job of it.

It wasn't me - but HEY - if they are taking reservations then I'm in. How much was the deposit?

50% with the rest charged the day prior to departure. I told them that I was going to call them back and put the rest on the card prior to that (probably in 2 months) - just didn't want the full amount on at one time if I didn't have to. I was surprised...I just figured they'd charge it all today but when they asked if I wanted to pay it all or just the 50% required, I jumped at the 50%. I asked about being dropped off at Mendenhall - that's an additional $12 and it includes a voucher for any shuttle back to the ship. They said that that could be added at any time - including the day of, I believe.

Be sure to post a review very soon after you get back, sea_u! I'll be the southbound after yours. We're doing the 4-day pre-cruise so we're flying out on the 14th. Hope to get a report from you prior to my leaving!

As for cruise lines...I've done Princess to Alaska once. And, I looked at both Princess & HAL for this go 'round. But, I couldn't pass up the port times that Carnival has. And, I wanted an aft-wraparound balcony...couldn't find that one any ship other than the Spirit. I agree, from all reports, Carnival seems to be doing a good job with the Spirit. I really don't think there is a "bad" option for Alaska. All of the lines have been cruising Alaska for quite some time now. I think that there is no doubt that the ships offer different experiences...but I'm not going to experience the ship. For me, it's about Alaska.

I bet we all have a GREAT trip...no matter the ship/line.

Hey, Beach4me. Looks like I'll be getting on the Spirit in Vancouver the day you get off!

As for uscunc, if you decide you want to go with Carnival, and you are interested in July 25 - Aug 1, 2007, sail date Northbound from Vancouver to Whittier, check out the Carnival roll call for that sailing.:D

I've been where you are now, (back in November of 2005) it takes a lot of time to decide which cruise is right for you. If price is no object, you'll have an endless amount of choices, if it is, you'll probably come back to Carnival. I am lucky in the fact that I live 2 hours away from Port Canaveral and Tampa, so far crusing hasn't taken a lot of effort in planning or $ for extras except for parking.:) But now, there's airline scheduels, hotel reviews, transportation to and from airports not to mention which is the best place to leave your car while you're gone! And, have I mentioned the endless choices for excursions in each port??? :eek:

The internet (GOOGLE finds everything) and this message board will be your best friends for the next few months, (maybe until the day you sail) but one word of advice, there are all walks of life on this message board, so what one person may not like, the next person may think is o.k., and you,may just think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Read all the advice you can, but in the end, use your own best judgement when making arrangements for all aspects of your trip.

You're smart to start planning now, it gives you over a year to plan and save for the trip. But don't wait too long to book and deposit your cruise, the prices go up as time goes by.

Good luck,

Are you kidding me? Vendors are taking reservations for next summer already? Wonder if I should call the vendors for the Juneau helitour/dogsled and get it booked!?

We also picked Carnival for port times, price, comfort, naturalist on board and kid's club.

I just can't wait!!

Whoever you pick, do it soon! Our cruise has already increased in price.

Captain Larry is already booking for next year?? I'll have to get on that soon!

My vote goes for Carnival. We went last year, northbound, and are going again this year, southbound. We have Glacier Bay booked for 2007.

For us, the prices were our major reason for choosing Carnival. Their military discount applies to anyone who has had at least 2 years active duty in the military with an honorable discharge. This is the only cruise line that I know of that allows non-career or former military personnel to get the discount.

Then after sailing with them last year, we were definitely sold!! I would definitely recommend getting a balcony cabin. The views are AWESOME!!

As far as being "pampered", this is not a priority for us. The cabin was always kept clean, and our steward was always available for anything we needed. We never ate in the dining room, so I can't comment on that. We prefer to eat at the buffet on the Lido deck in order to have more flexible dining times. The food was good, and we certainly never went hungry!

Whichever cruise line you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time!:)

Archived