Gothenburg - How to get to Centre

BRScity

We are travelling on the Royal Princess, due at Gothenburg on 27 June 2014.

According to the Port web site, we will be docking at SKANDIAHAMNEN.

Can anyone provide information on how to get to the City Centre. By my own estimates via Google Maps it seems that public transport will take best part of an hour for the journey. We would always prefer to make our own way via public transport rather than using the provided excursions.

Thanks for any help

Rob

We are travelling on the Royal Princess, due at Gothenburg on 27 June 2014.

According to the Port web site, we will be docking at SKANDIAHAMNEN.

Can anyone provide information on how to get to the City Centre. By my own estimates via Google Maps it seems that public transport will take best part of an hour for the journey. We would always prefer to make our own way via public transport rather than using the provided excursions.

Thanks for any help

Rob

You will dock here: http://goteborgshamn.se/sv/*****-hamnen/Navigera-i-hamnen/?filter=red#6

First walk to the nearest bus stop:

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/57.6940912,11.8196496/Arendal+Skans/@57.6956651,11.8200347,383m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x464f8c4679cf629b:0x3ce77b6fb87976bd!2m2!1d11.818562!2d57.6965!3e2

There aren't any direct route to central Göteborg but you will have to make one change from bus to tram.

Use Västtrafik journey planner to find connections that suits you.

From: Arendal Skans to: Nordstan, Göteborg (stop) or Brunnsparken, Göteborg (stop)

http://reseplanerare.vasttrafik.se/bin/query.exe/en?SGID=9021014001136000&ZGID=9021014001760000&date=2014-06-27&time=08:00&timesel=depart&start=1&L=vs_vasttrafik

journey will take about 40 minutes.

also see this::

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1871392

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34168239#post34168239

Edited by Desdichado62

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't there a Princess port shuttle that takes you to the center of town? Is there anything official about this from Princess or perhaps a current/past passenger can respond to this? Like when they leave, how often, the cost, where/when it drops off and picks up?

thanks in advance,

Steve

Use the ship offered shuttle into town..ours on RCI was $9.00 roundtrip pp which took us to Gustav Adolphs Square the center of town. The port is very industrial and the walk out to where the city bus stops...not worth it.

Use the ship offered shuttle into town..ours on RCI was $9.00 roundtrip pp which took us to Gustav Adolphs Square the center of town. The port is very industrial and the walk out to where the city bus stops...not worth it.

Well it's just 300m which mostly goes past the Volvo museum, is it really that bad?

just back from this trip on Royal Princess and we were pretty upset about this port. we were on the maiden Baltic voyage and didn't know we'd be docking at this far away port due to Royal's size. Princess had a bus for $20 each, which you HAD to take or they would not let you off the ship since the port area is not developed or safe. we felt this was horrible that they didn't provide free transfer for us since it was their error that made us not be able to dock in town. at least you guys know in advance and might have more options. the bus ride was 30 minutes. the city was cute but underwhelming and the time there was quite short. they REALLY ought to skip this port and give a second day in Stockholm.

just back from this trip on Royal Princess and we were pretty upset about this port. we were on the maiden Baltic voyage and didn't know we'd be docking at this far away port due to Royal's size. Princess had a bus for $20 each, which you HAD to take or they would not let you off the ship since the port area is not developed or safe. we felt this was horrible that they didn't provide free transfer for us since it was their error that made us not be able to dock in town. at least you guys know in advance and might have more options. the bus ride was 30 minutes. the city was cute but underwhelming and the time there was quite short. they REALLY ought to skip this port and give a second day in Stockholm.

Thanks. Are you saying that the Royal did not dock at one of the location indicated in post 2 above?

I did not think that any cruise ships dock in town.

Are you perhaps confusing this port with Stockholm where the Royal does not dock in Stockholm due to her size?

Edited by jagoffee

no not confusing with Nynasham, which was known in advance. I don't know the name of where we landed in Gothenburg but it was a half hour bus ride and people we were angry about having to pay $20.

We were on the first cruise when RCI switched from porting in Oslo to Gothenburg..We agree and this port was our least favorite as we arrived into town and there was virtually nothing open and after walking around a bit we and many other's headed back to the ship by noon.. but where you're docking is the one I believe most cruiselines dock at..and yes it was approx a 30 min bus ride..perhaps much smaller ships dock in town.

We were on the first cruise when RCI switched from porting in Oslo to Gothenburg..We agree and this port was our least favorite as we arrived into town and there was virtually nothing open and after walking around a bit we and many other's headed back to the ship by noon.. but where you're docking is the one I believe most cruiselines dock at..and yes it was approx a 30 min bus ride..perhaps much smaller ships dock in town.

It is the same for Stockholm where nothing is open before 10 am, except for the Vasa museum which opens at 08.30 in the summer months.

Edited by Desdichado62

no not confusing with Nynasham, which was known in advance. I don't know the name of where we landed in Gothenburg but it was a half hour bus ride and people we were angry about having to pay $20.

Thanks. Perhaps it was more the cost than the distance because I think it is normal to dock there.

We are doing Oslo and then Gothenburg. Then Nynashamn/Stockholm. I might just stay on the ship for Gothenburg. Anything interesting around the cruise dock without taking the shuttle into town?

Thanks

Thanks. Perhaps it was more the cost than the distance because I think it is normal to dock there.

We are doing Oslo and then Gothenburg. Then Nynashamn/Stockholm. I might just stay on the ship for Gothenburg. Anything interesting around the cruise dock without taking the shuttle into town?

Thanks

No you shouldn't. There's plenty of things to do/see in Gothenburg:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41314676&highlight=gothenburg#post41314676

While I agree with you about more time in Stockholm, I liked Goteborg and my bus ride took 15 minutes tops to get to city center. I don't believe your statement about not letting people off the ship is true. I got off the ship and didn't buy a shuttle ticket until I wandered around a bit. I think you could have called a taxi, etc. and Princess would not have stopped you. The city is cute and I liked the shopping. I think this might have been a fuel stop or something else that made it necessary or convenient for Royal.

Thanks

No nothing..it's one of the busiest industrial ports we have docked in...nothing around it at all..and after returning to the ship around noon we sat in the WJ having lunch watching the loading/unloading of cargo onto the many boats there..Wish we had at least done the Volvo Tour..but had no idea about this port. Yes I would at least go into town and walk around a bit...but no need to do this too early..as I said nothing much open

Edited by Ashland

It is the same for Stockholm where nothing is open before 10 am, except for the Vasa museum which opens at 08.30 in the summer months.

No problem in Stockholm..and loved that the Vasa opened early...we got the first HOHO boat to there. and easily were one of just a few touring it that early...so glad we did. Also very lucky our RCI ship docked just steps from the HOHO boat.

While I agree with you about more time in Stockholm, I liked Goteborg and my bus ride took 15 minutes tops to get to city center. I don't believe your statement about not letting people off the ship is true. I got off the ship and didn't buy a shuttle ticket until I wandered around a bit. I think you could have called a taxi, etc. and Princess would not have stopped you. The city is cute and I liked the shopping. I think this might have been a fuel stop or something else that made it necessary or convenient for Royal.

Sorry...but this "is" where RCI docks..nothing due to a fuel stop or anything else..Not sure where you docked but it "was" an approx 30 min bus ride to the center of town..which for us was Gustav Adolphs Square..the drop off and pick up point.

Just wanted to clarify (checked my cruise compass) the RCI shuttle bus was $9.00pp "one way"..Buses ran every 30 min. from 9:00am - 4:00 pm...and as stated above this is a busy industrial container port...do take the shuttle offered by your cruiseline..they did offer a free shuttle to the port gate (as not safe to walk around inside port) but once you got there (gate) it was still a walk to the nearest city bus stop and you could have a wait and once onboard it would make many stops along it's route...so could easily be much longer than the ship offered non-stop shuttle...Hope this helps anyone visiting Gothenburg as it's just my persoanl experience during our visit.

No problem in Stockholm..and loved that the Vasa opened early...we got the first HOHO boat to there. and easily were one of just a few touring it that early...so glad we did. Also very lucky our RCI ship docked just steps from the HOHO boat.

The point is that if you arrive in Stockholm on a cruise in sometime during September 1st to May 31st you won't find anything open in Stockholm either.

• 2 months later...
Hi, quick question. How did you find out where the ship docked? I'm on the Eurodam in August of 2015.

http://www.goteborgshamn.se/Terminaler--partners/Ankomster-och-Avgangar/

She will dock in Skandiahamnen as she is too bug to be able to pass under Älvsborgsbron.

http://www.goteborgshamn.se/*****-hamnen/Navigera-i-hamnen/#6

You can get into downtown by public transport or by Shuttle bus.

use the travelplanner and search connections from: Arendals Allé to Brunnsparken (Göteborg)

http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/en/

Tickets for public transport can be bought at (according to Västtrafik) Dockside Kiosk at Volvo Arendal: http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/biljetter-priser/har-koper-du-biljetter/har-koper-du-biljetter/dockside-kiosk-volvo-arendal-goteborg/

Some museums of Göteborg: http://www.goteborg.com/sv/Gora/s/EventGuide?searchCategory=1103&sortkey=99

Edited by Desdichado62

• 7 months later...

One problem I found with Princess Cruises is that they are not willing to answer a simple question like: "Is there a shuttle provided by Princess at ..... and for how much?" as that would allow you to organise your excursions yourself. I have tried info@princesscruises.com.au (?) twice without success.

Princess also claims they will not let you off the ship in St Petersburg unless you book an excursion with them, wrong, a visum for an Aussie costs $120 but is not necessary once you book with a local registered agency like Alla Tours.

Anyway, will let you know if it is a compulsory US$20 for us to get off the Regal Princess in Gothenburg as has been claimed.