Just off Grandeur - a few surprises!

VASOXFANN

DH and I are just back from our Thanksgiving-week cruise on Grandeur (stay tuned for the review). There were a couple of surprises that I hadn't read about of CC, so I wanted to share:

1. There are day-to-day drink packages offered on certain days. One was an island drink package for Cococay (Day 4) for $58 + 18%. A sea day beverage package was offered for Day 6 at "a special price." Also, all of the beverage packages were offered in the Cruise Compass as late as Day 5.

2. Discounted Chops filets ($10 + 18%) and lobsters ($25 + 18%) were offered 2 nights in the MDR. DH and I both had the filets, and they were among the best steaks we have ever eaten.

3. The swim-up bar is back at CocoCay! :D

4. Don't cruise the week of Thanksgiving unless you have a high tolerance for unruly, unsupervised children. There were 565 children aboard :eek: many of them horribly behaved with worthless parents. :mad:

I'm working on our review. If you have any Grandeur or Bahamas-related questions, please let me know.

Edited by VASOXFANN

Thanks for the updates.

Can you comment on the food in general? Did you have the "updated" menus which remove the prime rib from Night 1, removed the duck and the rack of lamb, and so on? How was the Windjammer food?

Did you try the specialty restaurants? I read a discouraging review of both from a recent sailing. Was hoping that was just an off week!

Did you use the wi-fi?

I don't understand some parents. Our last cruise this kid came up behind us as we walked down the hallway stomping his feet deliberately and running. His parents just walked slowly behind him. We'd heard what I can only assume to be the same child doing this late at night as well. My kids would never be rude like that to other people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the updates.

Can you comment on the food in general? Did you have the "updated" menus which remove the prime rib from Night 1, removed the duck and the rack of lamb, and so on? How was the Windjammer food?

Did you try the specialty restaurants? I read a discouraging review of both from a recent sailing. Was hoping that was just an off week!

Did you use the wi-fi?

The food was just OK. We both preferred the MDR food on Carnival, especially for desserts. We had the updated menus--no duck or lamb :( DH ordered the steak that is always on the menu a couple times, and he thought it was OK, but the steak and beef cuts were cooked pretty rare. The choices were medium rare or medium well. DH ordered his medium well, which were cooked a perfect medium. Those at our table who ordered medium rare received red, bloody steaks. :eek: I had the seafood spaghetti, which was fine after adding some butter and pepper, the shrimp ravioli (meh) and some fish dishes. DH liked the salmon. The Thanksgiving turkey was good, but they only gave us a tiny spoonful of stuffing. The desserts weren't very good. Cheesecakes were very jello-like, and cakes were either spongy or dry. I did enjoy the pecan pie we had on Thanksgiving.

We ate all of our dinners in the MDR, and only one lunch in the Windjammer. The food didn't impress me at all, and I've honestly had better at Golden Corral. Breakfast in the WJ was much better in terms of variety, taste and quality.

We didn't eat in the specialty restaurants, but we had some of the food. I went to the cooking demonstration and had some samples. The sushi samples were fabulous, and I would have gone to the sushi place had DH been more of a sushi fan. The spicy coconut shrimp was my favorite of the samples. I wasn't all that impressed with the Giovanni's Table samples. We ordered the Chops filets in the MDR. They were wonderful. DH thought his was the best steak he ever ate, and mine was up there.

We did not have the Wifi. Those who did complained about it being slow.

We recommend the drink package if you can get it on sale. The bar and beverage service was excellent.

We really did have fun and enjoy the cruise, so I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being overly picky. I just want to be honest about our experience.

I don't understand some parents. Our last cruise this kid came up behind us as we walked down the hallway stomping his feet deliberately and running. His parents just walked slowly behind him. We'd heard what I can only assume to be the same child doing this late at night as well. My kids would never be rude like that to other people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Ugh! The children from h*ll!

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with well-behaved children with manners. There was a very nice teenage girl at our table who was as sweet and quiet as can be. I am talking about the smart-aleck kids AND THEIR PARENTS who YELLED at my husband when he reminded them that the Solarium was for adult use only :mad: I am also referring to the parents who sat there with stupid grins on their faces while their unruly spawn were jumping up and down on the Centrum furniture and SCREAMING while normal people were trying to enjoy the musicians :eek: Then there are the delightful little urchins who go in the elevators and push all of the buttons and run out so people have to stop on every floor. And don't even think about saying something to the little darlings, because the parents will unleash on YOU, not the kids!

If people can't/won't deal with their offspring, they shouldn't have them!

Edited by VASOXFANN

I had Izumi a few times, the best food on the ship is up there. Giovanna's lunch was better then dinner. Did chops at the hotel directors table that was the best. We had a spread on the table that had all the appetizers from Giovanni's and all the main menu from chops. The windjammer was same thing every day. MDR was so so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sea shepherd

I had Izumi a few times, the best food on the ship is up there. Giovanna's lunch was better then dinner. Did chops at the hotel directors table that was the best. We had a spread on the table that had all the appetizers from Giovanni's and all the main menu from chops. The windjammer was same thing every day. MDR was so so.

Was Chops at the hotel director's table something that you were specifically invited to attend or is it something that they offer onboard and can be booked by anyone? Do you think it would be worth getting the 3 or 4 night specialty dinner package? I had seen one pretty negative review of specialty dining on Grandeur recently so I hesitated booking it. I realize this is pretty subjective, but I welcome your personal view. I found the food in the MDR on my last cruise to be pretty lacking so I was originally leaning toward booking some nights in the specialty restaurants.

The food was just OK. We both preferred the MDR food on Carnival, especially for desserts. We had the updated menus--no duck or lamb :( DH ordered the steak that is always on the menu a couple times, and he thought it was OK, but the steak and beef cuts were cooked pretty rare. The choices were medium rare or medium well. DH ordered his medium well, which were cooked a perfect medium. Those at our table who ordered medium rare received red, bloody steaks. :eek: I had the seafood spaghetti, which was fine after adding some butter and pepper, the shrimp ravioli (meh) and some fish dishes. DH liked the salmon. The Thanksgiving turkey was good, but they only gave us a tiny spoonful of stuffing. The desserts weren't very good. Cheesecakes were very jello-like, and cakes were either spongy or dry. I did enjoy the pecan pie we had on Thanksgiving.

We ate all of our dinners in the MDR, and only one lunch in the Windjammer. The food didn't impress me at all, and I've honestly had better at Golden Corral. Breakfast in the WJ was much better in terms of variety, taste and quality.

We didn't eat in the specialty restaurants, but we had some of the food. I went to the cooking demonstration and had some samples. The sushi samples were fabulous, and I would have gone to the sushi place had DH been more of a sushi fan. The spicy coconut shrimp was my favorite of the samples. I wasn't all that impressed with the Giovanni's Table samples. We ordered the Chops filets in the MDR. They were wonderful. DH thought his was the best steak he ever ate, and mine was up there.

We did not have the Wifi. Those who did complained about it being slow.

We recommend the drink package if you can get it on sale. The bar and beverage service was excellent.

We really did have fun and enjoy the cruise, so I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being overly picky. I just want to be honest about our experience.

I appreciate your honesty. It helps me adjust my expectations. I also really appreciate the heads up about how rare the "medium rare" steaks were. If I get a steak in the MDR, it will definitely be the medium well! I've found their desserts to be really poor for quite a while. I think their cookies are their best sweet.

What's up with no lamb or duck?!

:( I am irrationally upset about this. One thing I really like about cruising is the chance to eat at a white tablecloth restaurant each night and choose special dishes that I don't/can't cook at home, like prime rib, duck, and rack of lamb. I wish I'd known this before we booked...at least I know it before we get on board!

I appreciate your honesty. It helps me adjust my expectations. I also really appreciate the heads up about how rare the "medium rare" steaks were. If I get a steak in the MDR, it will definitely be the medium well! I've found their desserts to be really poor for quite a while. I think their cookies are their best sweet.

The Chops filet I ordered in the MDR was wonderful, cooked to order (medium was a true medium) and a real bargain at $10. This price was offered twice during our 7-night cruise.

I forgot to mention before, lobster tails were served the second formal night. They were a decent size for free tails and quite good.

Agreed on the cookies. The chocolate chip cookies from room service were to die for! The muffins at breakfast in the MDR were also very good.

Edited by VASOXFANN

:( I am irrationally upset about this. One thing I really like about cruising is the chance to eat at a white tablecloth restaurant each night and choose special dishes that I don't/can't cook at home, like prime rib, duck, and rack of lamb. I wish I'd known this before we booked...at least I know it before we get on board!

They may have the duck and lamb dishes on longer cruises. Ours was 7 nights

Was Chops at the hotel director's table something that you were specifically invited to attend or is it something that they offer onboard and can be booked by anyone? Do you think it would be worth getting the 3 or 4 night specialty dinner package? I had seen one pretty negative review of specialty dining on Grandeur recently so I hesitated booking it. I realize this is pretty subjective, but I welcome your personal view. I found the food in the MDR on my last cruise to be pretty lacking so I was originally leaning toward booking some nights in the specialty restaurants.

They invited all the pinnacles to the HD table with senior officers. And he said next week they had 30 and we're doing it in Izumi. I wish I could have stayed for one more. But I have to be on the Harmony Saturday. ☹️

We were on the week before and was very disappointed with the food in the dining room , poor choices and not the best cuts of meat...I ate more fish than meat because of this. The portions were tiny and one night we had a small dollop of mashed potatoes and discovered the vegetables underneath which consisted of three flat beans. The prawns were a joke...I use bigger shrimps in a shrimp cocktail. The first night we ordered a cappuccino but it arrived after we ate our dessert, so that was the last time we ordered one. The food in the Windjammer was slop in my opinion. I was on this ship in 2010 and all the food was so much better.

I had a feeling the quality of food would go down when the Specialty Dining options became poplar.

This is our first Royal cruise, so could I ask those of you with more experience a couple of questions? My husband and I have sailed Carnival and Princess. I see the drink package discussions, and we'll probably sign up for one just to have no surprises on our bill at the end. Do we have to purchase that once we're onboard?

What about gratuities? Can we pay those before we go?

I am looking forward to the shows, but is there a piano bar or karaoke?

We've never had a set dining time until now. Will we be with the same folks each night? Is dining code country club dress most nights? Do people go "all out" for formal nights, and does anybody know when those will be on a 9-night? He does not own a tux, but he has no objection to coat and tie. May I get away with a long dress and a wrap, or do I need sequins and pearls? You know what I mean. Thanks so much for any info you have!

This is our first Royal cruise, so could I ask those of you with more experience a couple of questions? My husband and I have sailed Carnival and Princess. I see the drink package discussions, and we'll probably sign up for one just to have no surprises on our bill at the end. Do we have to purchase that once we're onboard?

What about gratuities? Can we pay those before we go?

I am looking forward to the shows, but is there a piano bar or karaoke?

We've never had a set dining time until now. Will we be with the same folks each night? Is dining code country club dress most nights? Do people go "all out" for formal nights, and does anybody know when those will be on a 9-night? He does not own a tux, but he has no objection to coat and tie. May I get away with a long dress and a wrap, or do I need sequins and pearls? You know what I mean. Thanks so much for any info you have!

You can purchase a drink package either pre-cruise or onboard.

You can also prepay gratuities, just contact whoever booked your cruise.

You will see a wide range of attire in formal night, and what you describe will be within the range we see all the time.

Not sure about Grandeur. Our first trip on her is a Christmas and New Years cruise. But have been on Sovereign, allure and harmony.

Wear whatever makes you happy

Some (me) go all out. I love to dress up. Others (hubby) wear casual. Trousers and shirt. No jacket no tie

Unless I insist lol. But really...it's personal choice. Everything is "suggested". For me it's a great excuse to go over the top. And I never feel out of place. Hubby prefers smart casual. And this seems to be ok too. It's your holiday. Your cruise. Go all out. Or wear shorts and a tee. In my experience it doesn't matter. What ever makes you happy!!