Another first time cruiser..sorry

cruzan22

Hello,

I been searching and researching this cruise for which seems like forever now, and have got a lot of help from experienced cruisers, hopefully one day I can contribute more than just a question lol.

We are cruising out of Baltimore next month on our first cruise, and are excited and nervouse st the same time, it just seems overwhelming. My first question and most important to me, followed by a few more:

1. When I first went online to book there was not enough space for my long and uncommon last name, example without giving my real name, "Axxxxxx Bxxxxx Jr". Lol. Yes i have two last names (not hyphenated) followed by a Jr. It is like that on my passport DL and BC. Problem is the Jr didnt fit in the last name section, just Axxxxxx Bxxxxxx. So I called and booked over the phone. Now I told her the issue, she asked for my name and said she would book it, she did say that the last letter of my last name would be cut off my funpass but will not be an issue . I thought cool im good to go. She said and repeated my full last name with the Jr when she was booking. Now I log in online and use my full last name with the jr and it says name not booked with cruise, I take off the jr and of course log right in. I see on every part of my reservation there is no jr to be found anywhere but it is listed on my passport under last name section, threre is no suffix section just last name space jr. I been stressing that im going to have an issue boarding. Does anybody have any expierence with this or any knwoledge if i will be good?

Wow sorry that was so long and run on, i will stop at the one question for now and hope somebody can help. Thank you so much for all the info i have found here.

Cruzan22,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Print the information containing your full name from the website. Keep it so at least you have written proof.

Do contact your cruise line by email and ask them to reconfirm by return email. Again, print and bring the hard copy when you board the ship.

Good luck, and enjoy your holiday!

Michael

If you booked directly with the cruise line you can certainly call them on their toll free number and have them check their computerized reservation file (they have access to info you cannot see on your computer) to make sure you name is accurate. Your name does need to be correct on their system since the cruise line is required to give a list of all passengers to the US authorities in advance of the cruise. If they confrim that all is fine it would be wise to ask for an e-mail confirmation so you have something in writing to take along to the port in case there is a later issue.

If you booked through a Travel Agency you should first try to work through your TA. If that fails, you can then call the cruise line directely and explain that you cannot get the question resolved by your TA. If they refuse to help you (some cruise lines will just tell you to work with your TA) simply be very polite and ask to speak with a supervisor and again explain your position (TA will not resolve).

Hank

Hi,

I took everyones advice and e-mailed carnival. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. We are not able to add a suffix/title after the last name such as: Junior (Jr). You will not have a problem boarding the cruise if the Jr. is not listed on the booking. Have a wonderful cruise!"

I guess I should print that out and bring it just incase, but looks like I will be fine, thanks for your help.

A couple more questions for those who can take the time to answer, thank you:

1. I know while at sea if I shouldnt use my phone, just turn it off. But while I am at the port in Baltimore will I still be getting charged more just because I am on the ship? same goes for Port Carneval in Florida.

2. I am thinking about making reservations for the steakhouse on the first night, is there a stricter dress code? Will shirt and tie be ok? I will book at least 1 night dont know which yet though.

Hi,

I took everyones advice and e-mailed carnival. This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. We are not able to add a suffix/title after the last name such as: Junior (Jr). You will not have a problem boarding the cruise if the Jr. is not listed on the booking. Have a wonderful cruise!"

I guess I should print that out and bring it just incase, but looks like I will be fine, thanks for your help.

A couple more questions for those who can take the time to answer, thank you:

1. I know while at sea if I shouldnt use my phone, just turn it off. But while I am at the port in Baltimore will I still be getting charged more just because I am on the ship? same goes for Port Carneval in Florida.

2. I am thinking about making reservations for the steakhouse on the first night, is there a stricter dress code? Will shirt and tie be ok? I will book at least 1 night dont know which yet though.

You are absolutely correct that you should print out the Carnival e-mail and keep it with you as you go through the boarding process at Baltimore. Regarding your phone, as long as your ship is in Baltimore of within a few miles of shore your cell phone will work just like anywhere on land (it is using the local cell towers). Once you are really away from land its wise to put it on airplane mode (some will argue that it will not work at sea unless you set-up an account). The alternative restaurants such as the Steakhouse will have the same dress code as the rest of the ship...and on the first night it will always be smart-casual.

Hank

Heading out of Baltimore, I think you'll be able to use your cellphone until you pass Norfolk. Plenty of pleasure boaters use their cellphones in the Chesapeake Bay so the cell companies have made sure there's good coverage across the bay. Just check the carrier name before you actually make a call, and turn Data Roaming OFF before boarding.

you can totaly use your cell in baltimore while on the ship.. you are still w.in reach of the US cell towers.. its when you start to sail and venture to far off for a signal that you need to hit the off button. :) i always have mine on in florida untill we set sail.

Archived