Majesty has QUITE a history!

I never realized that Thomson Majesty used to be called Louis Majesty and before that was called Norwegian Majesty.

And apparently, when it was called Louis Majesty (amazing thing - Wikipedia) - it was hit by Giant Rogue Waves, which smashed through one of the windows - killing a few passengers. This happened as recently as 2010.

(notice they didn't put that one in the brochures).

And then of course, there was the extremely tragic accident with the lifeboats last year.....

Hope this ship isn't jinxed!:(

(Good thing I never knew all this before I booked the cruise)

That is what I thought before my first cruise on Majesty but I am soon to go on my fourth. I saw them putting shutters over the lounge windows one evening before we set out on a slightly rough sea. Don't worry.....you will love it!

That is what I thought before my first cruise on Majesty but I am soon to go on my fourth. I saw them putting shutters over the lounge windows one evening before we set out on a slightly rough sea. Don't worry.....you will love it!

Thanks! so it is true ( It wouldn't bother me really)- I just like to know the 'history' of the ship I'm going on.

Thanks! so it is true ( It wouldn't bother me really)- I just like to know the 'history' of the ship I'm going on.

Enjoy your time on the Majesty :) and should you want to look further into the history

of the fleet, then look at the Dream back in 2010 when it was a Costa ship (Europa)

This ship had it's sad times as well :(.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Thomson_Dream

After reading your other post yesterday, when you mentioned that the cocktails were weak, I thought you had already sailed on the Majesty.:confused: Sorry if I got it wrong but that was how I read it.:)

Enjoy your time on the Majesty :) and should you want to look further into the history

of the fleet, then look at the Dream back in 2010 when it was a Costa ship (Europa)

This ship had it's sad times as well :(.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Thomson_Dream

Mutiny and crashing into docks!:eek:

Mmmm - So Dream was a Costa ship way- back- when.

Can't believe that this is now the Dream?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254094/British-tourists-hurt-cruise-liner-crash-killed-crew-members.html

Love the way something happens and its a case of 'hey ho - lets just change the name '' (and hope they don't notice?)

(Gives a whole new meaning to that little section in the Ship's New's that says:

Where's the Thomson Fleet Today?

So, that's the history of

The Majesty and

Dream sorted:

(off to look up Celebration's past!)

The Majesty provided me with my first real taste of cruising back in 1996 when it was under the monica of the Royal Majesty. A beautiful ship back then when she was only 4 only years old. It was on the Majesty that I discovered my love of cruising. The excellent service and food on the ship are still vivid memories from that vacation.

The Majesty was my first cruise ever, albeit back in 1995 prior to her stretch and was doing the Boston-Bermuda runs. The ship was ABSOLUTELY beautiful!. When NCL purchased her and chose to stretch her, they really, really took a lot of her charm away. She was FAR more beautiful as the Royal Majesty sailing for Majesty Cruise Lines.

....and general manager David Selby said the ship " set the standard for a consistently high standard of product "

Hahahaaaaa !!!!

He would make a good politician.

I suppose blocked loos isn't too bad - compared to freak waves, crashing into docks and mutiny.

:DWell done Celebration!

Another Thomson ship with an interesting history is the Spirit. Apparently she started life as the flag ship of HAL!

As the Niew Amsterdam? she had a boardroom, presidential suite etc. She still has them :)

did you know she was originally designed as a container ship, a pretty good conversion I think.

The Majesty was my first cruise ever, albeit back in 1995 prior to her stretch and was doing the Boston-Bermuda runs. The ship was ABSOLUTELY beautiful!. When NCL purchased her and chose to stretch her, they really, really took a lot of her charm away. She was FAR more beautiful as the Royal Majesty sailing for Majesty Cruise Lines.
Its almost as if they do a Cut and Shut like with cars-

Only with a Ship!

Its almost as if they do a Cut and Shut like with cars-

Only with a Ship!

Dream was also stretched - it's been suggested that after the shunt in Sharm followed by a period in dry dock that the subsequent air-con/plumbing problems on the maiden voyage (with Thomson) may have been the result of those joins being put under abnormal and hitherto unexperienced stress.

Dream was also stretched - it's been suggested that after the shunt in Sharm followed by a period in dry dock that the subsequent air-con/plumbing problems on the maiden voyage (with Thomson) may have been the result of those joins being put under abnormal and hitherto unexperienced stress.

I noticed that Dream seemed to list the same way when moving. Maybe after the stretch they did not weld it back straight:D

Another Thomson ship with an interesting history is the Spirit. Apparently she started life as the flag ship of HAL!

As the Niew Amsterdam? she had a boardroom, presidential suite etc. She still has them :)

did you know she was originally designed as a container ship, a pretty good conversion I think.

Interesting!

I noticed that Dream seemed to list the same way when moving. Maybe after the stretch they did not weld it back straight:D

Sure it wasn't too many 'Cocktails of the Day? ;)

(oh no - it couldn't be - They are usually too weak!) - the ship must have really been listing :)

Thanks you two!! ;). And along with a possible extra sea day on Tropical Treasures next winter, well........I'd better not say what I think! :eek::eek::)

Hi Dave, welcome home, just read your impressions of Oceana on P&O forum. Glad you had a good time.

Regarding the Dream - I said she had a list in 2010 when we went on her for the first time and she still has it :rolleyes:

Thanks you two!! ;). And along with a possible extra sea day on Tropical Treasures next winter, well........I'd better not say what I think! :eek::eek::)

Don't worry Jakanne - I have the solution! ;) So far I've spent 10 weeks on the Dream and haven't noticed a list yet - so keep supping the cocktails it apparently corrects the problem! :D

Don't worry Jakanne - I have the solution! ;) So far I've spent 10 weeks on the Dream and haven't noticed a list yet - so keep supping the cocktails it apparently corrects the problem! :D

Thought it was the rum punches on shore that you recommended, Kruzseeka! ;)

No wonder I didn't notice! ;):D

Ha,ha!

I understand there will be a Caribbean costume party on deck one night. Do we buy a costume in the UK or will we be able to get one in the port at Barbados before we sail away? I was thinking of a really garish, flowery shirt blouse! :eek::D. Just realised...we are a lot off topic!!

Archived