Documents needed for child that's not yours

TxChick

Im bringing my nephew, or I want to. Other than his birth certificate, what do I need the notarized letter to say?

When I took my niece with me, I took 2 notarized documents. One that gave me permission to take her out of the country on the cruise, and the second was to give me permission to make medical decisions for her if she happened to need medical care during the cruise. Both notarized documents were signed by both of her parents.

Hope this helps.

When I took my niece with me, I took 2 notarized documents. One that gave me permission to take her out of the country on the cruise, and the second was to give me permission to make medical decisions for her if she happened to need medical care during the cruise. Both notarized documents were signed by both of her parents.

Hope this helps.

Did they take them? Did they ask for them?

One problem with whoever checks you in when at the port. They do not all work the same way. I took my daughter with me and she was 17. Was asked for the letter. Daughter has the same last name.

Too my step daughter, different last name, nobody asked for anything.

You have to be prepared. Never know when they will ask.

Same concept, took my son and daughter to Niagra Falls. Crossing back into the US the border guy gave me a pile of dung about traveling with Birth Certificates, (legal but still a 1 hour delay).

One of the reasons I wish Rules are rules.

One problem with whoever checks you in when at the port. They do not all work the same way. I took my daughter with me and she was 17. Was asked for the letter. Daughter has the same last name.

Too my step daughter, different last name, nobody asked for anything.

You have to be prepared. Never know when they will ask.

Same concept, took my son and daughter to Niagra Falls. Crossing back into the US the border guy gave me a pile of dung about traveling with Birth Certificates, (legal but still a 1 hour delay).

One of the reasons I wish Rules are rules.

Good point. There is the possibility for denied boarding without proper documentation. Just like during debarkation sometimes they ask to see my passport and sometimes they just take my customs form and wave me on.

We have taken other children with us and always carry a notarized letter from the guardian. We also bring a letter giving permission to obtain medical care if needed. We have never been asked for the former and, thank goodness, never needed the latter. However if you think I am going to show up at the dock without them you are nuts! :p

Im bringing my nephew, or I want to. Other than his birth certificate, what do I need the notarized letter to say?

I have taken my grandchildren on a cruise and in addition to birth certificate or passport, I have a letter from my son and daughter in law granting us permission to take the kids. It is notarized. Just say exactly when the cruise is, date of sailing, return date, kids names, DOB, signed by: I have both parents sign. Also, if flying included that information on the letter. Also per a previous post- permission to act as guardian in case of any emergency.

I have taken different grandchildren on multiple cruises and never have I been asked to show the letter- but it is good to have it . I put original in cabin safe, carry a copy, and my son at home, has another copy.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

I'm using the form in the link provided about for travel and medical. Now if I could just get his jakleg parents to get his birth certificate! I HATE. Waiting to the last minute. I have signatures but streets were flooded today and his parents couldn't get the certificate and I couldn't because I don't have custody. I'd pay double if I didn't have to deal with his parents, lol.