Sydney Post-Cruise Tours

lisacruise2

My Mom and I are scheduled to go on the March 12th Auckland to Sydney Cruise on Holland America. It arrives on Friday and we are planning to fly out on Sunday. We are debating between doing the Holland American post-cruise Tour for Sydney and the Blue Mountains and doing both on our own.

Has anyone done the Holland America Pre or Post cruise land tours in Sydney? What did you think?

My mom has some mobility issues so if you can speak to that too that would be great information.

Thanks,

Lisa

My Mom and I are scheduled to go on the March 12th Auckland to Sydney Cruise on Holland America. It arrives on Friday and we are planning to fly out on Sunday. We are debating between doing the Holland American post-cruise Tour for Sydney and the Blue Mountains and doing both on our own.

Has anyone done the Holland America Pre or Post cruise land tours in Sydney? What did you think?

My mom has some mobility issues so if you can speak to that too that would be great information.

Thanks,

Lisa

Haven't done the tour but the hop on hop off bus would be my suggestion for Sydney, and for what most lines charge to the Blue mts either book through your hotel, or do it by train.

Our ship should arrive in Sidney on Good Friday and flying out on Monday (after Easter). We understood most of the places/shop would close on this day, anybody has any recommendation for tours / things to do that are available?. We probably will be going to see four famous opera on Saturday (closes on Friday but opens on Saturday).

Thank you.

Edited by ChattTenn

Our ship should arrive in Sidney on Good Friday and flying out on Monday (after Easter). We understood most of the places/shop would close on this day, anybody has any recommendation for tours / things to do that are available?. We probably will be going to see four famous opera on Saturday (closes on Friday but opens on Saturday).

Thank you.

Many (perhaps most) shops will close Fruday and Sunday, however I expect most tour operators will be operating.

One thing often overlooked at that Time is The Royal Easter Show. (like a large carnival with agricultural and livestock displays, side shows etc) all at Olympic Park with a train from the city to pretty much the entry.

Taronga Zoo (by ferry ride across the harbour) is also popular and I'm pretty sure open.

Many (perhaps most) shops will close Fruday and Sunday, however I expect most tour operators will be operating.

One thing often overlooked at that Time is The Royal Easter Show. (like a large carnival with agricultural and livestock displays, side shows etc) all at Olympic Park with a train from the city to pretty much the entry.

Taronga Zoo (by ferry ride across the harbour) is also popular and I'm pretty sure open.

Thank you for the info. My husband was in Sydney 40+ years and I have never been so we are looking forward to see your country and the city.

Good Friday and the Easter Weekend is indeed a very slow weekend in Sydney. On Friday most shops (apart from the REALLY touristy ones and some Supermarkets) are likely to be closed.

The Blue Mountains are nice, for sure. With mobility issues the trip may be a bit strenous. Lots of the really nice sights in the mountains involve steps or uneven paths. The trains run at least hourly, and the train and station staff will help you to get on and off, but roaming around Leura and Katoomba (the main little towns) aint to easy, i would imagine.

If you really want to do that, i suggest an organised tour by coach. Google blue mountain tours from Sydney and the options will pop up.

That suggestion with the Royal Easter Show is interesting, if an agricultural fair is your thing.

You know that the Opera House is a nightmare for people with mobility issues. Stairs, stairs and more stairs.

A nice harbour cruise with lunch or dinner may be nice. It is a great way of spending a relaxing few hours.

If you are interested here is the roll call for your cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185429

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you.

You would be wise to book if you are intending to do a guided tour of the Opera House. This is easily done on their web site. You can choose your time and you will not need to line up on the day. The backstage Tour is excellent but starts at 7AM and is pricey. The standard tour has 200-300 steps. If anyone has mobility problems the 12 noon tour is "accessible" using lifts and passages not usually open to the public. If you choose a Tour and Taste Plate option aim for around lunchtime. It is a generous serve. It is our favourite pre theatre treat.

Thanks,

Lisa

I would not attempt a DIY tour to the Blue Mountains with mobility issues. The Ho Ho bus around Sydney could also present problems as many of the stops are at places where walking is involved. A harbour Cruise is a good choice and you can do this with an organised tour or simply by hopping on and off ferries or the Ho Ho cruise boat. Taronga can combine a cruise across the Harbour by ferry with a Zoo Visit. They have a small "train" that meanders around the zoo and a Sky Gondola to take you from the bottom, where the ferry docks to the top. See comments above about accessible tours of the Opera House.

Yes! Do come to the Easter Show :) The Man From Snowy River feature show is back for the night entertainment which will be a lovely little taster of Aus for you. It's an easy zip out on a direct train from Central to Sydney Olympic Park.

Ddn't know Man from waqs on again thanks

And the entry ticket includes the train fare so great value.

Can you tell us more about the feature show? We are also looking at going to the Easter show. Thanks.

Man from Snowy River if a fairly famous Aussie Poem, same bloke wrote it as Waltzing Matilda.

The show is basically a horse and rider show.

If this link doesn't work, google THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER SHOW.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=man+from+snowy+river+show&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwj07pqMx-PJAhVEJKYKHT_bAY4QtwIIKDAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7ZdWL0DqxMY&usg=AFQjCNGe5OUkmlxZIxWK7NiToSfPA9o2yg

Two hints at the Royal, I love the woodchop and can spend hours watching the Main Ring events, some nights they have a fireworks spectacular too.

Make sure you take good walking shoes, also many American friends love to buy some clothes and hats at shops like RM Williams while a the Royal.

NEWSFLASH.

For something REALLY special:

The Sydney Opera House production of TURANDOT showing on March 26 (and other dates as well).

The performance will be on a FLOATING STAGE in the harbour, next to the opera house!

Info is on the website of Opera Australia, https://opera.org.au

Thanks for the info!

Man from Snowy River if a fairly famous Aussie Poem, same bloke wrote it as Waltzing Matilda.

The show is basically a horse and rider show.

If this link doesn't work, google THE MAN FROM SNOWY RIVER SHOW.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=man+from+snowy+river+show&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwj07pqMx-PJAhVEJKYKHT_bAY4QtwIIKDAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7ZdWL0DqxMY&usg=AFQjCNGe5OUkmlxZIxWK7NiToSfPA9o2yg

Two hints at the Royal, I love the woodchop and can spend hours watching the Main Ring events, some nights they have a fireworks spectacular too.

Make sure you take good walking shoes, also many American friends love to buy some clothes and hats at shops like RM Williams while a the Royal.

• 3 weeks later...

With mobility issues you will be better off with a coach tour for the Blue Mountains. We used Sydney Tours R Us. The picked us up at the hotel, did some touring around Sydney, stopped at a wildlife preserve, lunch in Leura with some time to walk around and then on to the Blue Mountains. On the way back we did half on the bus and half on a ferry from the Olympic park back to Circular Quay. We stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Rocks, great location just a block and a half from the OPT.

Thank you.

I think we're on the same cruise. We leave Sydney Friday night at 9:00 pm. We too are looking for something to do on Good Friday, but Like you, I don't know if most attractions will be open on the holiday. I hope someone replies to your post.

I think we're on the same cruise. We leave Sydney Friday night at 9:00 pm. We too are looking for something to do on Good Friday, but Like you, I don't know if most attractions will be open on the holiday. I hope someone replies to your post.

Don't think you are likely to get any more/better advice than has already been given.