What's Your Favorite Mexican Port?

allthetravel

This is easy for us :). About 20 years ago we took our first Mexican Riviera cruise (in the days when Acapulco was one of the ports) and we liked our first glimpse of Puerto Vallarta. A few years later we did another cruise and again like PV. So about 11 years ago we started spending our winters in PV (at least 2 months a year) and the rest is history. Now, PV is our 2nd home and a place we have grown to love more with every visit. We have now spent more then 18 months living the old town part of this city....and despite taking fabulous trips all over the world...our heart is in PV.

Hank

This is easy for us :). About 20 years ago we took our first Mexican Riviera cruise (in the days when Acapulco was one of the ports) and we liked our first glimpse of Puerto Vallarta. A few years later we did another cruise and again like PV. So about 11 years ago we started spending our winters in PV (at least 2 months a year) and the rest is history. Now, PV is our 2nd home and a place we have grown to love more with every visit. We have now spent more then 18 months living the old town part of this city....and despite taking fabulous trips all over the world...our heart is in PV.

Hank

Similar story, we live in San Diego and the Carnival Elation was home ported here for awhile. We could get really good last minute deals. So we cruised to Cabo about a dozen times, then decided to see Cabo at night, so went and spent 5 days and ended up buying a condo on the Marina six years ago. We spend 4-5 months there in the winter. Hank I'm sure you're thinking San Diego has an ideal climate, but Cabo from Dec-May is fabulous. I don't live on the coast in San Diego so we do get temperature extremes. I grew up in upstate New York so I've paid my dues with bad weather.

Similar story, we live in San Diego and the Carnival Elation was home ported here for awhile. We could get really good last minute deals. So we cruised to Cabo about a dozen times, then decided to see Cabo at night, so went and spent 5 days and ended up buying a condo on the Marina six years ago. We spend 4-5 months there in the winter. Hank I'm sure you're thinking San Diego has an ideal climate, but Cabo from Dec-May is fabulous. I don't live on the coast in San Diego so we do get temperature extremes. I grew up in upstate New York so I've paid my dues with bad weather.

Your post made me truly laugh. As east coasters we have heard about the legendary San Diego weather (often called the best climate in the US). One year we were in San Diego for New Years Eve (on our way to Asia) and it was chilly and rainy! About 3 or 4 years ago we were in San Diego on a HAL cruise stop (it was going transpacific). DW and I decided we would take public transit out to the zoo. Guess what, it rained...and it rained hard. We walked through the zoo (with umbrellas) and the animals were in their shelters staring out at us and probably thinking ("those humans are fools for being out in the rain"). A 3rd visit to your area did bring the perfect weather one expects. PV in the winter often means 2 months without a drop of rain (and it is the same in Cabo). Hard to beat the wonderful winter Mexican weather....and we sure love the great food in PV.

Hank

Hank

More or less the same story like Hank, some cruises etc. plus the fact our daughter is living in Vallarta, managing her own business. Each winter we stay for about 4 or 5 months and love it of course.

Another Puerto Vallarta lover. I visited in 1972 when it was truly a small fishing village. We return every couple of years and it feels like home. We own a timeshare in PV but it's a fixed time and it's usually the first week of September. Very hot, humid and rainy and not too many visitors. I like Loreto a lot but not many cruise ships visit that port. It's small and so charming. Not too fond of Cabo San Lucas, much prefer San Jose del Cabo. Salud!

Would have to agree with the PV crowd. After a handful of cruises as well as some land based trips. Will be there again in February. Sorry if I upset anyone but Cabo just seems like an extension of LA to me.

I can understand what you're saying, there is a huge gringo/Canadian population there. Cabo was built by the Mexican government to be a resort town. We call it Southern California South, although, LA would not be a good comparison. PV is much larger than Cabo, Cabo is still a small town, can't go anywhere without running into someone you know.

Unlike many Caribbean ports, Mexican Riviera ports are hugely varied, especially the 3 most visited. Cabo is extreme desert climate/ambiance mixed with world class rich and famous. Mazatlan has extra special temperate climate and down right classic old school Mexico. PV has widely interesting seaside jungle mountains and ex-pat companion, comforts and services. Manzanillo, Xtappa/Zihua & ACA are also varied gems. We will Dec-Feb cruise these ports, till the end of time.

Of the Mexican Riviera POCs - Mazatlan. Away from the touristy bits (as featured on your Cruise excursions) it's as close to "real" Mexico as you're likely to find - wander downtown, the maze that is the Mercado Municipal, grab lunch in a local restaurant, walk along the malecon, reflect within the inspiring cathedral, visit the Teatro Angela Peralta... I could easily take a proper vacation here.