Which dock does Celebrity use in St. Thomas now?

IrieMRP

Hi everyone, we will be on the Summit next week, and stopping in St. Thomas. I am wondering if any recent Celebrity cruisers can shed some light on which dock they stopped at, Crown Bay or West Indian (Havensight)? According to my roll call, many seem to think we will be going to Crown Bay; however when I called the Captain's Club yesterday they assured me it is definitely the West Indian dock in Havensight. I'd like to think the information they directly provided was accurate, but I have my doubts. I've made a backup plan if we indeed go to Crown Bay, but hopefully this will not be the case. Can any recent cruisers let me know where you actually docked? Thanks in advance! :)

On the Equinox two weeks ago we docked at Crown Bay, which IMHO is a dump. More than half the shops there are closed/empty. Not much to see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's disappointing to hear; I think our plan is to get out of the port and to a beach asap so we can make either dock work, but I hate not knowing with 100% certainty which dock it is! I have selected different beaches for each dock due to proximity to the ship, and it is driving me crazy not having a plan set in stone :D

That's disappointing to hear; I think our plan is to get out of the port and to a beach asap so we can make either dock work, but I hate not knowing with 100% certainty which dock it is! I have selected different beaches for each dock due to proximity to the ship, and it is driving me crazy not having a plan set in stone :D

We have been at Crown on several stops on HAL. From there we have been to Water Island, Secret Harbour, and Emerald aka Lindbergh or Airport Beach. Secret Harbour is far but taxi drivers know a way around the Havensight traffic. Emerald is nice if you don't want to snorkel. Water is quiet unless the pirate boat party cruise comes ashore.

For many years that Celebrity docks at Crown Bay. In fact, never, ever seen any Celebrity ship docked at Havensight ... BUT, if that happens, do not be disappointed. Havensight is closer to Charlotte Amalie and a much, much more pleasant walk.

As far as beaches go - I have been in almost all of them, reviewed, photographed many and wrote about most. NOT posting a link as do not want to be admonished by CC.

All beaches are not that far from either Crown's Bay or Havensight - the ones on the North/West coast are closer to Crown's Bay. The ones on the SouthEast coast are closer to Havensight. But, for example, if you want to go to the super famous Magens Bay is irrelevant where you dock - same taxi price. You can find all on the website I write to - signature below.

My favorite beaches close to Crown's Bay: Brewer's Beach, Lindberg Beach or Emerald Beach. North Coast: Hull Bay and Magens Bay. Closer to Havensight: Bluebeards Beach, Bolongo Bay, Coki Beach, Morningstar Beach, Sapphire Beach, Lindquist Beach aka Smith Bay, Secret Harbor, Vessup Bay.

Hope this helpful and above all that you ENJOY the marvelous Caribbean waters.

Just one suggestion: what about going to St. John's ???

Thank you for the tips lvz2cruz and D-Portman!

In regards to St. John, I think we are going to give that a skip this time due to the fact that we are the only ship docked in St. Thomas, which is rarely the case! If there were more ships in port we would definitely consider "escaping" to St. John! :) We have been to St. John on a land vacation and it is lovely however!

We docked at Havensight on the Summit in 2014, and at Crown Bay last week. My understanding from others on our cruise is that all Celebrity and RCL ships now use Crown Bay. The shopping was much better at Havensight. But as far as going to beaches, it doesn't matter much. They both are on the south side of the island about 10-15 minutes apart. We are off the ship at 8 am and make the 9 am ferry to St. John - both from Havensignt and from Crown Bay. There are plenty of taxis to take you to beaches from either dock.

We docked at Havensight on the Summit in 2014, and at Crown Bay last week. My understanding from others on our cruise is that all Celebrity and RCL ships now use Crown Bay. The shopping was much better at Havensight. But as far as going to beaches, it doesn't matter much. They both are on the south side of the island about 10-15 minutes apart. We are off the ship at 8 am and make the 9 am ferry to St. John - both from Havensignt and from Crown Bay. There are plenty of taxis to take you to beaches from either dock.

Thanks Carol! Either one will work for us, I was mostly curious as to how accurate the Captain's Club info is! If we go to Crown Bay I think we will head to either Water Island or Emerald, and if we dock in Havensight probably Sapphire.

Edited by IrieMRP

For many years that Celebrity docks at Crown Bay. In fact, never, ever seen any Celebrity ship docked at Havensight ... BUT, if that happens, do not be disappointed. Havensight is closer to Charlotte Amalie and a much, much more pleasant walk.

../quote]

We have been on Celebrity probably 10 times to St Thomas over the past 12 years or so...we have docked in Crown Bay only 1 time.

I really don't like the move to Crown Bay...we always rent a car from Budget and they are right next to the ship when docking at havensight....that is really convenient.

We are back there on Dec. 30th with a car reserved...If dock at Crown bay (and from all indications we will, despite what others are saying shouldn't happen until jan 1), we will prob just stay on ship and relax for the day.

Hi everyone, we will be on the Summit next week, and stopping in St. Thomas. I am wondering if any recent Celebrity cruisers can shed some light on which dock they stopped at, Crown Bay or West Indian (Havensight)? According to my roll call, many seem to think we will be going to Crown Bay; however when I called the Captain's Club yesterday they assured me it is definitely the West Indian dock in Havensight. I'd like to think the information they directly provided was accurate, but I have my doubts. I've made a backup plan if we indeed go to Crown Bay, but hopefully this will not be the case. Can any recent cruisers let me know where you actually docked? Thanks in advance! :)

A site that CC thinks is naughty says it will be the WICO dock at Havensight. Have fun!

Edited by 6502programmer
block url is useless--edit to remove noise.

As far as beaches go - I have been in almost all of them, reviewed, photographed many and wrote about most. NOT posting a link as do not want to be admonished by CC.

All beaches are not that far from either Crown's Bay or Havensight - the ones on the North/West coast are closer to Crown's Bay. The ones on the SouthEast coast are closer to Havensight. But, for example, if you want to go to the super famous Magens Bay is irrelevant where you dock - same taxi price. You can find all on the website I write to - signature below.

My favorite beaches close to Crown's Bay: Brewer's Beach, Lindberg Beach or Emerald Beach. North Coast: Hull Bay and Magens Bay. Closer to Havensight: Bluebeards Beach, Bolongo Bay, Coki Beach, Morningstar Beach, Sapphire Beach, Lindquist Beach aka Smith Bay, Secret Harbor, Vessup Bay.

Hope this helpful and above all that you ENJOY the marvelous Caribbean waters.

Just one suggestion: what about going to St. John's ???

We have been to St. Thomas in the past 10 years about 7 times and all were at Havensight except two weeks ago when on Equinox and we were at Crown Bay. We found the taxi ride to town about the same as Havensight.

We have always ( most recently Jan 2016 on Equinox) docked at Havensight.on Celebrity. Sometimes we go to a beach, into town or over to St Johns etc , but often stay at Havensight...where we enjoy the shops, re stock at drugstore and mail cards from post ofc. We take a long walk and find a nice lunch spot.

Docked only once at Crown Bay on a Royal ship a few yrs ago..A definitely inferior location...they should charge less for port fees.. Most shops not leased only a few open. And nothing to buy really. Longer trip to everything except one nearby beach Taxi drivers drove insanely to maximize number of trips.

Hope you luck out and get Havensight..if not plan B should take into account the less advantageous location.

Edited by hcat

The shopping is way better at Havensight than Crown Bay as others have mentioned. However, the best shopping is in downtown Charlotte Amalie. When you go there, be sure to also explore the gades (side streets and passages) between Main Street and the waterfront.

The difference for us (we're there every Jan. aboard Summit) is that it's a nice walk into town from Havensight via the new marina area walkway :mad:and the alternative at Colony is not a pleasant or safe walk to town at all...nothing to do but take the shuttle to town but it's a disappointment at one of our favorite ports!

carolslc: According to the net the ship was renovated/refurbished earlier this year......were the staterooms refurbished or just the common areas on ship?

Thank you:)

I've read reviews that say cabins were not refurbished but our cabin was great - no issues at all. Nice new towels as well. We were in 9167. The whole ship looked beautiful to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what we do. Walk (in CB) or taxi (from Havensight) to the Crown Bay marina. There is a waterfront tavern there from which frequent boats go to Water Island. Then we head for Honeymoon Beach, an uncrowded favorite of ours. For the price of a drink or a lunch you can use their loungers and umbrellas free of charge.

It is not a good snorkeling beach but we find it very pleasant.

At least once we walked from the dock to Honeymoon Beach, which is mostly downhill going in. Which means it is pretty steep uphill coming back. Not to worry. Golf buggies meet arriving boats. Last time, Honeymoon Beach's ride was free. Of course we tipped.

Google, if interested. Including boat schedules.