Cheap wine & Taxi LAX to Carnival Inspiration

debk68

Hi Everyone,

We just booked the Inspiration. We are arriving at 8 am but waiting at LAX for the rest of our group around 11.

Any estimates on taxi for 8?

Where can the taxi stop so we can purchase our "cheap" bottles of wine (under $15). We do carry on luggage, so we can't fly with it. Last time I didn't have a plan, the cab driver took us to a high end wine shop.:eek:

Thanks!

Deb

Hi Everyone,

We just booked the Inspiration. We are arriving at 8 am but waiting at LAX for the rest of our group around 11.

Where can the taxi stop so we can purchase our "cheap" bottles of wine (under $15). We do carry on luggage, so we can't fly with it. Last time I didn't have a plan, the cab driver took us to a high end wine shop.:eek:

Thanks!

Deb

I don't think you'll find a taxi for eight. Arranging for a van from one of the shuttle companies would be the best for your group. Most of the taxi's I've seen at LAX take 2 or 3 passengers. A taxi directly to the pier is about $90.

You'll need at least 3 or 4 taxi's.

I agree with Kamloops...

Best option here is to contact one of the shuttle companies--Super Shuttle, for example...for an exclusive shuttle that can take all 8 of you...It should be FAR more economical than doing it with taxis...

You can also negotiate throwing in one stop along the way to pick up wine...

Here in California, you can purchase wine at any supermarket, most drug stores, convenience stores, big box stores or a number of liquor stores from those small neighborhood places all the way up to large retailers like Bev Mo...

You will pass several in between LAX and the port in Long Beach...

For example, if you want a large selection, it's a little bit of a detour off the freeway to BevMo at 21301 Hawthorn Blvd. in Torrance...

But, the selection of wines at major supermarkets is likely good enough for you...

On your way to Long Beach from LAX, theres a Vons Supermarket right off the 405 at 4001 Inglewood Ave in Redondo Beach...there's a Ralphs Supermarket right off the 405 at 650 E Carson St in Carson...Either of those would be a rather easy detour for your driver to make en route to the ship...

I am not sure what the shuttle company will add to your cost to make one of these stops...

Another option would be to just go straight to the ship, then, after checking in, either grab a taxi...or the free Passport shuttle and head to the Walmart at 5th and Long Beach Blvd. Of course, you may want to make sure you have the time to do this...

I would book the wine buyers separately from the late arrivals. The buyers could look at a stop at any Bev Mo, Costco or Total Wine. You can get the (6 bottle) case discount and meet the rest of the party at the terminal. Make sure to get enough bags to safely carry the wine on board. You can't bring the wine for all of your party. If you all try to travel together - if the late arrivals have issues with luggage or other delays you may not have time to shop. If the ship leaves at 5pm you probably need to be checked in and on board by 3:30.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I was going to suggest that 1-2 people in the "first to arrive" group take a cab from the airport to Trader Joe's, buy wine there, and take a cab back to the airport. You could do that while waiting for the rest of your party to arrive.

The closest Trader Joe's is just north of LAX:

TJ's Westchester (33)

8645 S Sepulveda

Westchester, CA 90045

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Deb

https://maps.google.ca/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

I would use google maps and stop off at the Total Wine Redondo Beach, just off I105 on the way to San Pedro or Long Beach.

Redondo Beach

1505 Hawthorne Blvd.

South Bay Marketplace

Redondo Beach, CA 90278

(310) 542-1460

You can browse and order on-line for instore pickup to save time.

Lots of highly rated red wines for less than $15.:)

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/wine/red-wine%7Cred-wine!characteristics/Rating-Source/Wine-Advocate!rating/90-95!price/10-20!sortBy/PLH

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/wine/red-wine%7Cred-wine!characteristics/Rating-Source/Wine-Spectator!rating/90-95!price/10-20!sortBy/PLH

There's even a few highly rated white wines for less than $10.:D

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/categories/wine/white-wine%7Cwhite-wine!characteristics/Rating-Source/Wine-Spectator!rating/90-95!price/*-10!sortBy/PLH

Another 10% off if you buy 6 bottles.