Overnight in Maui

LAdad

If you rent a car for both days, you can take in some highlights each day. Docking in Kahului makes it pretty convenient for day trips.

Some people have mentioned overnights in Hana, but if you've never been to Maui, I would recommend doing more than just the Hana area.

Thank you all for the responses!

We'll most likely sleep on the ship. But we'll probably try to make the most of the overnight stay by doing something late Friday like a Luau or a late show of some kind and then something really early on Saturday.

There's probably some nice places to see the sunrise on Maui... top of mountain or overlooking cliff etc.

We're limited (and blessed) by 2 kids under the age of 9 that tend to get sleepy pretty early... but then wake up at 6AM with no problem.

We'll be there on Good Friday and Holy Saturday during Spring Break 2014. I wonder if there's anything special to see or do Easter-wise. I'll try looking for online local Maui info once we get closer to Spring. Thanks again.

We'll most likely sleep on the ship. But we'll probably try to make the most of the overnight stay by doing something late Friday like a Luau or a late show of some kind and then something really early on Saturday.

There's probably some nice places to see the sunrise on Maui... top of mountain or overlooking cliff etc.

We're limited (and blessed) by 2 kids under the age of 9 that tend to get sleepy pretty early... but then wake up at 6AM with no problem.

We'll be there on Good Friday and Holy Saturday during Spring Break 2014. I wonder if there's anything special to see or do Easter-wise. I'll try looking for online local Maui info once we get closer to Spring. Thanks again.

Nothing beats the sunrise on Haleakala, if you can get up early enough to make the drive up there. You'd prob need to get up around 4-4:30 to make it up there by sunrise.

Or if you're lazy like me and DW then you can watch the sunset up there instead ;)

A little reading on the board would reveal the only real spot for a good sunrise is Haleakala, as it shields much of the populated area of Maui from real sunrises.

Found this. :) It is great fun and you won't be alone. We did it on a Thursday in November 2007 and there were between 100-200 people up there.

Haleakala Sunrise and Sunset Times

Sunrise at the summit of Haleakala is like nothing else on earth. And if you're an early riser, you too can see why this volcano is called 'House of the Sun.' Each morning dozens of people flock to the chilly peak of Haleakala to witness the sunrise above the 10,000 foot summit. No doubt you already know this, but Haleakala's summit is located inside Haleakala National Park.

If you want to beat the traffic and get a good spot, we suggest you leave no later than 3:30 am. It takes one hour to reach the summit when leaving from Kahului, 1-1.5 hours from Kihei, and 2 hours from Lahaina. Despite the early morning rise, it's always well worth it. If you feel this is too early for you, consider a Haleakala sunset, but be aware more clouds are present later in the day. The very latest we'd suggest entering the park in the morning is 4:30 am, as sunrise will typically be around 5:30-7:00 am (see the sunrise/sunset chart for specifics).

Haleakala SunriseTemperatures range between 20-40 degrees Fahrenheit at the summit of Haleakala, so be sure to dress warmly. A view of the sunrise is weather permitting, so check the weather before you go if possible.

Thank you for the great info on the Haleakala sunrise.

I don't think the kids would be able to get up early enough for this... but one of the adults could go on their own and leave the other parent peacefully asleep on the ship with the kids.

My wife is the photographer but I am the one that requires less sleep. The tours that take you to the Haleakala sunrise pickup the passengers from the big hotels at 2AM and return at around 11:30AM. One of us should try to do this and bring back pictures for the other. I hope its me but then again I don't want to hog up all of the cool experiences for myself. My wife is a saint that deserves this plus more!

Thanks again for the great idea!

Thank you for the great info on the Haleakala sunrise.

I don't think the kids would be able to get up early enough for this... but one of the adults could go on their own and leave the other parent peacefully asleep on the ship with the kids.

My wife is the photographer but I am the one that requires less sleep. The tours that take you to the Haleakala sunrise pickup the passengers from the big hotels at 2AM and return at around 11:30AM. One of us should try to do this and bring back pictures for the other. I hope its me but then again I don't want to hog up all of the cool experiences for myself. My wife is a saint that deserves this plus more!

Thanks again for the great idea!

An easier option than driving to a hotel, is to just book the ship excursion. They leave about 3 am. It also is not difficult to drive yourself, although it is dark. If you maintain a slower speed, the road is simple to follow.

Archived