Segway tour with a bad back...? Yes or No

Seaworthy01

If you can step up one step (which is the equivalent of stepping up onto the Segway) you will be fine. The initial step up and stepping off are the most unnatural feeling parts of the experience, but once you do it a couple of times, it comes rather naturally. Other than that, it's standing and a slight lean forward or backward. I have chronic low back pain and muscle spasms and have had no problems. My husband has ridden a Segway after having both knees replaced as well as before having it done. No issues either time. Super fun!! Enjoy!!

We did a Segway tour in San Juan May 2014 after disembarking our ship prior to heading to the airport for an afternoon flight. It was easy to walk from Pier 4 to the Segway office where our luggage was stored while we toured on the Segway. There was more "tour" (interpret as stop and listen to the guide) than riding than on other local tours we have taken, but still a good time!

If you can step up one step (which is the equivalent of stepping up onto the Segway) you will be fine. The initial step up and stepping off are the most unnatural feeling parts of the experience, but once you do it a couple of times, it comes rather naturally. Other than that, it's standing and a slight lean forward or backward. I have chronic low back pain and muscle spasms and have had no problems. My husband has ridden a Segway after having both knees replaced as well as before having it done. No issues either time. Super fun!! Enjoy!!

We did a Segway tour in San Juan May 2014 after disembarking our ship prior to heading to the airport for an afternoon flight. It was easy to walk from Pier 4 to the Segway office where our luggage was stored while we toured on the Segway. There was more "tour" (interpret as stop and listen to the guide) than riding than on other local tours we have taken, but still a good time!

Thank you for the feedback, I may need to book this excursion. Sounds like a great experience.

I don't know. I think you may hurt. It is a lot of vibration coursing through you and the streets are cobblestone so it is very bumpy. The segway is an amazing tour but depending on the level of your pain, I would think carefully about it.

I agree very strongly with this post. Between cobblestone roads, sidewalk step ups, uneven older pavement, this may not be the best idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My husband has had back and knee surgery, and still suffers from chronic back pain, and pain in the other knee. He has done three Segway tours in the past 4 months, and loves it! In planning for our next cruise, he asked if there were any Segway tours at our ports. I hadn't thought of this for San Juan, but now I will. He is 67 years old, and had absolutely no difficulty operating the machine, and the ability to get around the streets was wonderful for him, because his walking distance without pain is very limited. We did travel over bumpy terrain in other cities, and he didn't have any discomfort following the tours. You can also slow the machine when traveling over bumpy areas if you are concerned about the jarring effect.

My husband has had back and knee surgery, and still suffers from chronic back pain, and pain in the other knee. He has done three Segway tours in the past 4 months, and loves it! In planning for our next cruise, he asked if there were any Segway tours at our ports. I hadn't thought of this for San Juan, but now I will. He is 67 years old, and had absolutely no difficulty operating the machine, and the ability to get around the streets was wonderful for him, because his walking distance without pain is very limited. We did travel over bumpy terrain in other cities, and he didn't have any discomfort following the tours. You can also slow the machine when traveling over bumpy areas if you are concerned about the jarring effect.

Now I am rethinking this, I had back surgery 2 years ago, Total knee replacement 2 months ago, Need a second knee replacement soon. I also have chronic back pain (Need fusion to correct the problem) and arthritis of the hip. What the hell, I say go for it and see what happens.

We've never tried Segways before but this sounds like an excellent idea for San Juan. Thanks for the idea everyone!

Seaworthy01~~~Take 2 Advils before your tour and two more afterwards. (Wash those last 2 down with a beverage or shot of your choice.) Then pat yourself, (gently), on the back for being brave and having a memorable experience. ---:cool::eek::cool:---

Cheers,

Alison

I don't know. I think you may hurt. It is a lot of vibration coursing through you and the streets are cobblestone so it is very bumpy. The segway is an amazing tour but depending on the level of your pain, I would think carefully about it.

It also depends on how good your balance is and if you can stay pretty centered. I did one at a different port and they almost had to leave me behind because I had a hard time getting it just right.

These

I too have a back problem.

I tried a Segway.

Never again.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in port early 2016, looking for something to do was thinking about the Segway Tour. Has anyone done this with a bad back and knees? Would you recommend this excursion?

I would say no. You have to have decent balance, and you shift weight frequently on the balls of your feet. I think you back may get sore if you have problems just from that. Plus vibration, etc. Since we don't know how bad your back is, or what part of your back is bad, I'd be leery about signing up for this. Good luck! Sorry to be a wet blanket