Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I find one of the best things about cruising is that you can really enjoy dressing up! You have formal nights where you can really go all out in party dresses, in the day yiu can wear shirts and tops abd bikinis! And also you get the opportunity to wear lots of gear which you can't really wear back in suburbia!!😛😛😜

I totally agree with you !!! it's one thing that I love about cruising, is the ability to get dressed up every night, not many places to do that at home these days [emoji20] .... Going on a two-week Christmas cruise, plan to dress up every night!!! There's 3 official formal nights & one un-official formal night. But add on Christmas and New Years they will be 7 occasions to dress formal!!! I can't wait!! I know it's not everybody's thing but for those of us to do love to dress formal its a real treat!

That's exactly what I like about cruising, too! (well, one of the things...). Going casual during the day, and dressing up for evening:cool:. It's really vacation for me when the "casual" clothes are completely different from "casual" around the house!

The Packing Process will finally begin a week from Monday (10/20). DH has been called to jury duty, so we will be at the main house long enough to have a couple days for Outfit TryOns and Luggage Fill-Up;)!

Thanks to CCFs who posted # of days till the Next Cruise!

amfhy: You and I are cruising almost at the same time. With my cool Countdown app, SailAway for DH & me is 55 days, 3 hours....:cool:

I've mentioned before that we go to Cocktail Hour every Thursday. A fun bunch of folks - we can be a small group of half a dozen to a louder 18. Well last night, one of the little widow ladies told a story about a visit to her son's in Calif. She always mails a box of her clothes so no luggage is involved.

When unpacking she discovered no underwear was packed...but that's not the good part....she had 45 (yes, that's what she said FORTY FIVE) bras:rolleyes:!

Everyone had a good laugh over that, but I was mostly impressed that she owns that many bras.;) Oh yeah, she was away for 2 weeks!

Thanks to CCFs who posted # of days till the Next Cruise!

amfhy: You and I are cruising almost at the same time. With my cool Countdown app, SailAway for DH & me is 55 days, 3 hours....:cool:

I've mentioned before that we go to Cocktail Hour every Thursday. A fun bunch of folks - we can be a small group of half a dozen to a louder 18. Well last night, one of the little widow ladies told a story about a visit to her son's in Calif. She always mails a box of her clothes so no luggage is involved.

When unpacking she discovered no underwear was packed...but that's not the good part....she had 45 (yes, that's what she said FORTY FIVE) bras:rolleyes:!

Everyone had a good laugh over that, but I was mostly impressed that she owns that many bras.;) Oh yeah, she was away for 2 weeks!

The story about the underwear brings to mind a cruise my husband and I were taking with another couple. My friend and I were on the phone the night before the cruise talking about what we packed. I said to her "all I need it to pack my underwear". She said " underwear, underwear, I forgot to pack my husband's underwear". If we had not talked that night he would have been a week without underwear!

oooh i love this thread!

The caribbean is 8 days away for me. :D

I am bringing 3 outfits per day. A sundress for morning/day time. I love sundresses and have acquired many over the years. I have coordinating sandals for most of them. Yay. I am still wearing these to work (sometimes with a flower in the hair) even though summer is over. I don't care, I pretend I am on an island all day. HAHA

Anyway the second outfit would be whatever I am going to wear to dinner, all dresses of course! The little black dress, the fitted hourglass dress, the formal dress, the 50's swing dress. =)

And then I will have an extra casual outfit such as capris and a top or pants ans a top for night time when it is cooler.

And then the swimsuits. Yay. I am all about dressing for body type. I am tall with a pear figure, so one pieces don't fit me correctly - they ride up. I am too self conscious to wear a bikini so I chose halter takini's with boy shorts. I have a green and white gingham with white lace, black with pink polka dots, and animal print.

I'm so excited to wear all these clothes. Yay :D

oooh i love this thread!

The caribbean is 8 days away for me. :D

I am bringing 3 outfits per day. A sundress for morning/day time. I love sundresses and have acquired many over the years. I have coordinating sandals for most of them. Yay. I am still wearing these to work (sometimes with a flower in the hair) even though summer is over. I don't care, I pretend I am on an island all day. HAHA

Anyway the second outfit would be whatever I am going to wear to dinner, all dresses of course! The little black dress, the fitted hourglass dress, the formal dress, the 50's swing dress. =)

And then I will have an extra casual outfit such as capris and a top or pants ans a top for night time when it is cooler.

And then the swimsuits. Yay. I am all about dressing for body type. I am tall with a pear figure, so one pieces don't fit me correctly - they ride up. I am too self conscious to wear a bikini so I chose halter takini's with boy shorts. I have a green and white gingham with white lace, black with pink polka dots, and animal print.

I'm so excited to wear all these clothes. Yay :D

Only eight days away until you sail. Sounds like you got the packing done. What ship are you going on?

Only eight days away until you sail. Sounds like you got the packing done. What ship are you going on?

Believe it or not I don't have anything packed !! :eek:

It's all ready to be put into the luggage though.

Carnival Elation from NOLA to Cozumel and Progreso.

mckalesmom: You win the CCF Tiara Award!! (If I knew how to import clipart - there would be a tiara posted).

Love that you really know your own style and have so much fun with your outfits!

BUT - 8 days away and you haven't packed yet - YIKES!! Not going to be concerned, though, since you seem to be organized:cool::)!

I bet lots of CCFs could tell funny "forgot to pack" stories! My one and only (thank goodness) time was when he arrived at the port on a cloudy day...and I left my sunglasses in the car! The sun came out at SailAway...and I could see the car in the parking lot, but no way to retrieve the glasses! Since they were prescription, plain old lenses wouldn't work, so DH bought me a sun visor at our first port; and that worked!

mckalesmom: You win the CCF Tiara Award!! (If I knew how to import clipart - there would be a tiara posted).

Love that you really know your own style and have so much fun with your outfits!

BUT - 8 days away and you haven't packed yet - YIKES!! Not going to be concerned, though, since you seem to be organized:cool::)!

I bet lots of CCFs could tell funny "forgot to pack" stories! My one and only (thank goodness) time was when he arrived at the port on a cloudy day...and I left my sunglasses in the car! The sun came out at SailAway...and I could see the car in the parking lot, but no way to retrieve the glasses! Since they were prescription, plain old lenses wouldn't work, so DH bought me a sun visor at our first port; and that worked!

The first day of my cruise my boyfriend knocked part of his toenail off on the flow rider. His family didn't pack any bandaids or antibiotic ointment, I don't know if they even had any first aid stuff to be honest. Fortunately I had it. :) luckily I am a very efficient packer and I always have nearly any first aid/OTC medication that anyone would need. So far I haven't forgotten anything but I've only been on one cruise... I have a 9 day one in April though so I am kinda nervous since it's so long. Gonna be so fun though!

One time we were being dropped off at the cruise bus in Florida to be taken to the port. About 10 minutes into the ride to the bus, I realized that I didn't have the passports. Had to go back home. Still made it to the bus on time. Close call!!!:eek:

LOL Thanks!!!

Yeah, I like to pack everything at once. Will spend the whole evening/night before packing. Don't want to jinx myself but I haven't forgotten anything yet!!! And I am one of *those people* who bring the over the door shoe rack and the whole kitchen sink with us.

Bummer about the sunglasses. All fashionistas must have their sunglasses. LOL jk. Bet you looked cute in the visor.

At the Lake House, it's Raking Season:o. Earlier today my "Outfit" consisted of jeans & sweatshirt and Carhart bib overalls on top. Old tennis shoes (waterproof boots are at the Main House...), and work gloves:rolleyes:!

Certainly not a CCF statement, but burning a couple calories raking leaves is worth it!

Friday I will go through the make-up bag and pack all cosmetics, etc.:cool:

Step One of The Process:)!

DH has been called for Jury Duty next week...so we aren't at the Lake House this weekend. Seems odd to be at the Main House:rolleyes:! He will be called Sunday PM to be told what time to report (or that he isn't needed.).

I'm taking advantage of a free Sunday to bake bread, prepare dinner and make a Rum-Spiked Apple Pudding Cake.

In between all the food prep, I'll be gathering items that don't live in the Cruise Room, but could be worthy of the Next Cruise.

And then - MONDAY will finally be here and Outfit Selection can begin:cool::)!

We have been checking the Bermuda webcam and watching The Weather Channel. Haven't yet heard about hurricane damage. Hoping Mother Nature wasn't cruel to that beautiful island. And also Hawaii...hopefully clean-up will be minimal.

I always feel safe and secure when onboard. Cruise lines do a great job keeping passenger safety as the top priority.

DH has been called for Jury Duty next week...so we aren't at the Lake House this weekend. Seems odd to be at the Main House:rolleyes:! He will be called Sunday PM to be told what time to report (or that he isn't needed.).

I'm taking advantage of a free Sunday to bake bread, prepare dinner and make a Rum-Spiked Apple Pudding Cake.

In between all the food prep, I'll be gathering items that don't live in the Cruise Room, but could be worthy of the Next Cruise.

And then - MONDAY will finally be here and Outfit Selection can begin:cool::)!

We have been checking the Bermuda webcam and watching The Weather Channel. Haven't yet heard about hurricane damage. Hoping Mother Nature wasn't cruel to that beautiful island. And also Hawaii...hopefully clean-up will be minimal.

I always feel safe and secure when onboard. Cruise lines do a great job keeping passenger safety as the top priority.

Your baking sounds yummy! most of the island was with out power. I think it was 85%. There is some damage but not many pictures are out yet.

Really thought my bundle packing reduced wrinkles!! I didn't pack all clothes in a bundle like the video that is out but I used that concept to pack and I will definitely use it again. And as a added bonus, I found that I didn't make last min changes. And I packed less. I packed 4 port packs and stuck with it(8day) my black slacks had all tops bundled with. I usually take so many extras in case!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

sunnydaygirl: I admire you and all CCFs who "bundle pack". From all the posts, it really saves space and clothes aren't wrinkled. I'm resistant to that style of packing...more comfortable with the layering-with-tissue-paper style...BUT applaud all of you who have tried the bundling.

Anyway, yesterday was Day #1 of The Process. All 19 pieces of notepaper were laid out in order (that's how many basic outfits are needed).

This is how the Cruise Room looked. It was still a Guest Room...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4893%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2797599656244ot1lsi

...until the clothes ,etc. started to appear...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7367%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2797599657244ot1lsi

I always choose the 2 Formal Night outfits first. (since there are only 2 and the choices aren't as plentiful as other occasions.)

This is the dress that was on sale at jc penney. Got it for $16.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4754%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2797599659244ot1lsi

The heels have been on several cruises and the Sharif shoulder bag is 20 years old.

And this is what the Cruise Room looks like now. I have spent 2 days (approx 12 hours) and still have a couple iffy outfits.

Tomorrow begins Outfit TryOns.:cool:

Edited by indiana71

You can see that my brain is beginning to show signs of overload - I forgot to post the photo of what the Cruise Room looks like now...

Each complete outfit is ready to Try On.

After breakfast, I'll take a cup of coffee, turn on the Caribbean music and start. If I'm still at it at noon, DH will (probably) bring me a glass of wine;).

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B9%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3A668%3A569335nu0mrj

Just did same thing with my clothes (cruise in 40 days). DH comes in, looks, sighs & says my tux is ready, my Columbia shirts & shorts are ready, my khakis fit & I have a couple of Caribbean silk shirts, let's go. So much easier for the guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can see that my brain is beginning to show signs of overload - I forgot to post the photo of what the Cruise Room looks like now...

Each complete outfit is ready to Try On.

After breakfast, I'll take a cup of coffee, turn on the Caribbean music and start. If I'm still at it at noon, DH will (probably) bring me a glass of wine;).

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B9%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3A668%3A569335nu0mrj

Outfits look great. I see your bed spread is even in the cruise mood!

I love the new quilt on the Cruise Room bed - maps of the Caribbean! (Brand: Tommy Bahama, what else??!!;))

awhfy: Your DH's remark RE packing clothes could have come out of the mouths of ANY DH! Honestly, they all think alike (and most of the time look pretty darn good onboard!)

sunnydaygirl: It seems to be a recurring concern - will last season's clothes still fit??? Even though our weight might not change, not everything goes on quite so smoothly, i.e., several of my body-hugging knit tops had to be retired due to bulges that somehow (:confused:) appeared around my midriff...

My spreadsheet is 3 pages and has already been revised! A couple outfits have been changed completely, an on-sale beach dress that looked just fine in the store dressing room, didn't look quite so fine in the Cruise Room mirror:rolleyes:.

Here's a quote from Redbook magazine, spoken by an 82-year-old former magazine editor:

"I never wanted to look young. I want to look great and just enjoy the moment."

Loved reading that and how it reflects the CCF philosophy:cool::).