Buying pearls and art questions

luckybecky

I'm wondering if experienced PG cruisers can offer any tips on buying black pearls: where to get the best selection and value, what to look for, and how to know you are getting a good deal and not a fake.

Also, does anyone have any tips on Polynesian art? My husband is an artist and we like to collect original art when we travel. We would much rather buy a piece of art and support a local artist than to buy some mass produced trinket as a souvenir.

Any suggestions on what might be the best kinds of local art to look for and where to find good quality and selection? Could be pottery, paintings, textiles ... We like all kinds of art. I've heard that some remarkable quilts are made here. What else might we look for?

Becky

You are about to get many different options! If you want guaranteed quality stick to the major operators: Robert Wan, Tahia Hinerava (on the ship) and a couple of other stores. We have bought from all of them. However there are many lower cost options, one being on the tender dock at Moorea. A couple of the locals that sell there have very nice items. We bought a necklace last time for around $200 that was at a minimum 1/10 the price for similar in the stores that I mentioned. It looked the same from a few feet away. You can also buy loose pearls at Mihiarii pearls and make your own bracelet, pendant or necklace. Quality varies. It was a blast doing this. It's like art; if you like it buy it.

You will find many local artists and artisans during the trip. The quilts - tifaifai - are excellent. Best deal I found was on Huahine. Prices in Papeete seemed to be overpriced. What itinerary will you be taking on the PG?

Regarding Pearls it depends what you want.

If you are buying a full strand ie paying between 3 and 15,000 USD depending on size and quality I would buy from any of the stores Twin mentioned or from Island Fashion in Moorea.

If you are looking for the cheaper stuff you could get them anywhere but no guarantees. I have seen some interesting pieces at Motu Mahana along with exquisite shell jewelry similar to what the gauginnes wear.

Regarding Pearls it depends what you want.

If you are buying a full strand ie paying between 3 and 15,000 USD depending on size and quality I would buy from any of the stores Twin mentioned or from Island Fashion in Moorea.

If you are looking for the cheaper stuff you could get them anywhere but no guarantees. I have seen some interesting pieces at Motu Mahana along with exquisite shell jewelry similar to what the gauginnes wear.

Motu Mahana is hit or miss. Somethings you get a bargain. Some items seriously overpriced. Who is going to buy a $15,000 strand there?!!!??? Have seen them.

I like the wood carvings done by Marquesan artists. I bought mine in the Marquesas from the carvers. Lots of choices in varying quality. I also bought painted tapa on Fatu Hiva from the painter. During the heiva festival in July, I bought baskets from the ladies who had made them on one the Austral islands. They are very well made with beautiful Polynesian patterns.

Sorry, I don't know which stores in Papeete have these islanders' work.

Motu Mahana is hit or miss. Somethings you get a bargain. Some items seriously overpriced. Who is going to buy a $15,000 strand there?!!!??? Have seen them.

So true. I wouldn't buy good stuff there but great for the cheaper stuff from the mamas.

I like the wood carvings done by Marquesan artists. I bought mine in the Marquesas from the carvers. Lots of choices in varying quality. I also bought painted tapa on Fatu Hiva from the painter. During the heiva festival in July, I bought baskets from the ladies who had made them on one the Austral islands. They are very well made with beautiful Polynesian patterns.

Sorry, I don't know which stores in Papeete have these islanders' work.

Marquesan carvings are easily double and triple the price in Papeete. If you are on the Marquesan itinerary don't buy in Papeete! Another great pearl store on MOOREA is Eimeo. It's on the same road as the juice factory. Small shop owned by a California girl who married a Tahitian. Very unique pieces and reasonably priced.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions! Twin, we are on the 11 day Cook and Society Islands departing July 30.

We definitely won't be spending thousands of dollars on a piece, whether art or pearls. The trip itself is already pushing the limits of our budget! But we would like to bring home a small piece or two as keepsakes. I'd love to find some nice black pearl earrings.

I've made note of the shops you all have mentioned. It sounds like there are lots of tempting options for art, too. Thanks for the ideas.

Becky

I too like Tahia. I asked for a discount on a costly piece and they gave it to me.

January sales...darn...why did I promise Colin no more pearls!

Edited by Emdee

After looking at some of the fancy places, I stopped I to Ron Hall. I loved his soft sales approach and incredible patience. He wasn't at all pushy, and even had me try on a strand he knew I wouldn't buy as it was almost five times the strands I was trying on that were obviously in my price range.

I bought a strand that was about $100 more than my budget but still within my "stretch" number. I had them appraised when I got home. The number was so surprisingly high that I had them appraised by another appraiser who (without seeing the sales slip, customs slip, or

First appraisal) appraised them even higher. About 400% of what we paid for them. I can't recommend them highly enough.

After looking at some of the fancy places, I stopped I to Ron Hall. I loved his soft sales approach and incredible patience. He wasn't at all pushy, and even had me try on a strand he knew I wouldn't buy as it was almost five times the strands I was trying on that were obviously in my price range.

I bought a strand that was about $100 more than my budget but still within my "stretch" number. I had them appraised when I got home. The number was so surprisingly high that I had them appraised by another appraiser who (without seeing the sales slip, customs slip, or

First appraisal) appraised them even higher. About 400% of what we paid for them. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I too like Ron Hall. Sometimes we just visit to say hi. He started me on a collection of keishi pearls over 10 years ago and a couple of years ago I had enough to design a keishi and white gold necklAce. That being said some of the pearl and diamond necklaces from Tahia are fabulous.

• 2 months later...

Lots to choose from at different price points. I like the local art as well. I really wanted a tiki and planned on picking a small one somewhere along the route. We somehow ended up at the place on Moorea with the most amazing selection of Art in this back room. Ended up with a tattooed wooden tiki about 2 1/2 ft tall he's amazing! The shop people gave us a piece of luggage to bring him home in as he wasn't going to fit in any of ours. Between the big tiki and some other fun wooden carvers swords, paddles and the crazy reproduction of an ancient warrior "neck breaking" weapon we had some interesting packing to do on that last night on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums