Paying by PayPal

kfarns

I'm confused. Your first post was signed "Scot and Karen", yet this post is signed "Sue".

If you were sincere about meaning no disrespect, why the sarcasm emoticon? Or do you exhibit this same confrontational tone in all of your posts?

I also suggest you take a class on writing style. Your posts give out a "screw you" vibe.

If you go back and read, you will see that Scot and Karen are Cavediving, Sue is bjbear. Won't saw what vibe this post of yours gave out.

Please - someone: is there a benefit involved in using Paypal?

There is. For someone who may not have a credit card, or cannot get one. If you have a checking acct, you can link it to your Paypal and get a Mastercard debit that way. If you use it as credit and not debit when you make purchases you get 1% back to your Paypal acct. Not a lot that's for sure, but for those of us who don't or can't get credit points this is better than nothing.

If you go back and read, you will see that Scot and Karen are Cavediving, Sue is bjbear.

Oops! You are right. That will teach me not to post before I finish ALL of my morning coffee. Sorry about that, everyone! I'm giving myself a well deserved time out. ;)

dunce-cap.jpg

Won't say what vibe this post of yours gave out.

And thanks iheartbda for your last comment. It's nice that you are joining me on the dark side. It was getting kinda lonely over here. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

There is. For someone who may not have a credit card, or cannot get one. If you have a checking acct, you can link it to your Paypal and get a Mastercard debit that way. If you use it as credit and not debit when you make purchases you get 1% back to your Paypal acct. Not a lot that's for sure, but for those of us who don't or can't get credit points this is better than nothing.

Thanks - I was trying to figure why people were using it.

Oops! You are right.................
And my husband has learned never to forget it.:D

And thanks iheartbda for your last comment. It's nice that you are joining me on the dark side. It was getting kinda lonely over here. :rolleyes:

But look what I have on my side.:p

shirt.jpg?height=225&width=225

Why would you use PayPal when you can get a credit card through AARP that gives you three points for every dollar spent on travel. That is like a 3 percent discount on your cruise.

I'm always amused by credit card commercials that say " You get __% back on your purchases." On average, the percentage rate on a credit card is around 19% - 22%. But by using the credit card, you can get back 3%. Big whoop! Not a big selling point for me. It makes more sense to find a credit card with the lowest percentage rate (that you'd qualify for) and not worry about points back.

I'm always amused by credit card commercials that say " You get __% back on your purchases." On average, the percentage rate on a credit card is around 19% - 22%. But by using the credit card, you can get back 3%. Big whoop! Not a big selling point for me. It makes more sense to find a credit card with the lowest percentage rate (that you'd qualify for) and not worry about points back.

I've never paid interest in my life. It really doesn't matter to me what the interest rate is because I never have and hope I never will pay it. My max limit is something I could pay if an emergency happened and I had to use the credit card.

Not everyone does it this way but for those of us that do, the cash back perk is nice. It may not be a big WHOOP but nicer than getting nothing.

WOW. Some folks need to relax and stick to the topic. PayPal does have some great uses, such as when transferring a payment in foreign currencies. It is also,helpful for those doing a lot of e-bay purchases. But we try to minimize its use because it does have major security issues. Folks should consider that Americans have multiple protection when using a major credit card including the backing of a powerful Federal Law (in the USA). We are not sure of the current status of using PayPal to,pay for a cruise, but if it one's desire then by all means call the cruise line and ask. But for large PayPal payments you will need to link your PayPal account directly to your bank account...a process which takes several days to complete.

And PayPay is useless for onboard accounts and many other travel related functions such as renting a car or making a quick purchase of an airline ticket I an emergency.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No relationship exists between the percentages cited --- the "19%-22%" refers to the interest costs paid by someone who does not pay when billed - while the "-__% back" refers to rewards for simply using the card - which comes out of the percentage the card issuer charges the merchant.

I also never pay interest on any of my credit cards, personal or business, so the interest could be 100% for all I care. I use credit cards for convenience instead of carrying lots of cash, and pay the balance off every month. That I get point bonuses for using the card is icing on the cake. I currently have over $1,000 in points that are waiting to be converted to cash and used on my next cruise. This will pay for all the specialty dining and excursions I purchase, in essence making those items free to me.

Anyone who thinks a credit card is a license to spend is a fool. They rack up high balances apparently thinking that money is free. Eventually they will have to pay up. Until they do, interest is charged as the cost of spending more than they have. People who manage their money effectively pay the balance off every month and avoid the interest altogether. These same people almost always have high credit ratings because they demonstrate wise money management. Those who maintain high balances and pay high interest rates almost always have a low credit rating.

Edited by boogs

Not a problem for me. No monthly or annual charges and I have never paid a penny interest on the account.

If you are foolish enough to use a credit card and don't pay it off when you get a bill, that is another different kind of problem.

I have used Pay Pal many times for small transactions and I find it reliable and convenient. No problems whatsoever !!

Edited by swedish weave

I would NEVER use a Paypal direct account, or a debit card for that matter to buy anything that I could use a credit card for.

The reason is very straightforward. You have zero protection when you pay cash, debit, or paypal. At least in the case of a credit card you can dispute the charge and potentially have it reversed. Especially in cases of bankruptcy or failure to honour the contract.

I know of a TA that went down. Those who had paid the agency directly by cash or debit card lost their money. Those who had paid by credit card did not loose a dime-the credit card company reversed the charge.

We would never deal with a TA that charged our credit card-we only want the cruise company to make the charge. It is one of the questions that we always ask prior to booking.

Edited by iancal