Cunard's history - which books?

minz56

I am looking to update my knowledge of Cunard's history and was wondering which books on the subject people might recommend.
Hi minz56

"The Age of Cunard" by Daniel Allen Butler (2004) is one of my favourites.

I can re-read it anytime, or indeed, just use it as a reference book when my memory lets me down.

I'll try to think of some others...

Edited by pepperrn

"The triumph of a great tradition , The story of Cunard's 175 years"

By Eric Flounders & Michael Gallagher. Ferry Publishing.

One of the best books around on the subject of Cunard Line .

In 2015 ,on the '175 celebration voyages' , all guests were given a complimentary copy, a very welcome gift it was too.

Not just about Cunard but you could also try another favourite of mine:

"The Ocean Railway" by Stephen R Fox (2003).

Of course everyone should read:

"The Only Way to Cross" by John Maxtone-Graham (1972) (again, not just about Cunard).

Hope these help you. Good reading :)

Edited by pepperrn

If you'd like a really detailed business history of Cunard, Francis Edwin Hyde, Cunard and the North Atlantic. I find the early chapters on the founding of Cunard, the personalities involved, and the government subsidy the most accessible and interesting.

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions - I will definitely check them all out.

Pepper - I will definitely revisit John Maxtone-Graham's "The only way to cross". I had the pleasure of spending some time with John and Mary on a sector of the QE2 1995 world cruise. He is a delightful and fascinating man, and I was saddened to hear of his passing last year.

Transatlantic: Samuel Cunard, Isambard Brunel, and the Great Atlantic Steamships. Author is Stephen Fox

I really enjoyed reading this. However, I think it has a different title in different countries (why do they do that :confused:) but worth looking out for.

For a more up to date appraisal of Cunard Line and their current 3 ships, I can recommend: A Year in the Life of the Cunard Fleet by Sharon Poole and Andrew Sassoli-Walker.

Similarly 'Pride of the North Atlantic' by David F Hutchings.

Featuring Queen Mary - Queen Elizabeth - QE2.

ISBN 0-946184-67-4 if it is still available?

I picked up my still pristine and un-thumbed copy at a Boat Jumble a few year ago.

Enjoy, if you can still get them!

Peter.

Edited by Citizenship
Further thoughts and info.

There's also a new book called "The Passenger's Palace" - 100 years of the Cunard Building, Liverpool. written by Michael Gallagher and Tony Storey ISBN 978-1-910335-42-0 Published by Trinity Mirror Media (2016).

All passengers on the recent Queen Elizabeth Round Britain voyage were given a copy when we left Liverpool

Have just read The Building of the Titanic.

Wow was a great book,my first on that subject and delves deeply into all aspects of the building.

Plus the red star and white star lines.

Sorry cant give you author,have returned to library.:):)

Yes I do relise that titanic wasent a cunard ship,but the insights into both companies was amazing.

Edited by mrs and mrs

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend:

Steam Lion - A Biography of Samuel Cunard by John Langley.

Samuel Cunard - Pioneer of the Atlantic Steamship by Kay Grant.

Atlantic Liners of the Cunard Line by Neil McCart.

Samuel Cunard and the North Atlantic by T W E Roche.

Also, there are several books available written by former Captains which give an insight to the workings of the line.

There is a good introduction to Cunard in QE2 - a book about the ship written by Captain Warwick who served in the company whose Commodore's uniform is currently on sale on E'bay!

Another one I happened to pick up again yesterday is A Picture History of the Cunard Line 1840-1990 by Frank O. Braynard and William Miller, Jr. Both authors are familiar to liner buffs with their numerous books and appearances on videos of past liners. A very good book, much more than a picture book, as both authors bring lots of good stories to each ship. :D

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because I've just watched the programme about the Queen Mary and I'd like to know more about Cunard's history.

We will be on the Queen Elizabeth in January so will any of the books mentioned be in the book shop? Anyone know how much they are - probably more expensive than on Amazon!!

And finally, anyone prepared to say which is the definitive book on Cunard?!!

Of the many books I have read I would go for The Story of Cunard 175 Years by Eric Flounders and Micheal Gallagher. About as definitive as you could get. Also from the companies beginning to almost today. A very interesting and detailed history. The quality of the reproduction of the photographs is superb too.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums