New York City Weather Early December

WildcatRock

We've booked a 10-day cruise leaving NYC on Dec 3, 2015, live in KC, have never been to NYC before, and are wanting to know what the weather in NYC is typically like in early Dec. We're REALLY excited about going to NYC for the first time, are planning on coming in a few days early to see some of the sights, but have visions of "Nor'easters" in our minds. I've looked at climatology websites and it appears that rain is the most likely weather event that time of the month. But, it would help to hear from cruisers who live in or near NYC about what the weather is typically like in early Dec. Thank you!!

Well do bring a winter coat of some sort but don't worry about it being sub freezing temps. Maybe in the 30's most likely

Yes it could snow so proper footwear of course

I live in the NYC suburbs and if snow or rain was Not predicted I would have slacks sweater and possibly a down vest and suede boots on with gloves and scarf

The cold doesn't bother me thus the sweater and vest however most rational folks would have a long sleeved down type or pea coat or ski jacket on over that sweater. Lol

Just check out the temps before leaving and btw don't worry about dressing fancy as most people dress for comfort and even if you go to a play last minute your casual clothing will be fine. Nobody will care or notice

Head covering and scarf too and remember that days might be fine weather and require lighter jackets but night will be colder

That time of year is funny too. Once on December 22 about 3 years ago it was sunny warm and 65. I actually got physically ill from the heat and wearing a jacket but you can figure it will be in the 30's or 40's more likely

Do check the forecast frequently though as you pack

For winter sailaways I always take a hat and gloves so I can be outside if I want to. Keeping yours ears covered can make all the difference. In NYC you will be spending a lot more time outside than you probably do at home. A well thought out set of winter gear will do the trick - style doesn't count at all. Footwear MUST be comfortable because of all the walking.

I've lived here going on 8 years now and have to say that the weather is not very predictable. It likely will be in the 40ish range, but could be warmer or colder. It may rain or snow. IMO layers are key in NYC, no matter what time of year. Even if it's freezing outside it will be hot inside stores and restaurants (and vice versa in the summer). Footwear is also important. If there is snow on the ground it quickly turns into slush. I basically live in (waterproof) boots most of the winter.

As someone who has lived in the area for the better part of 60 years, I would say that an average december is in 40's with a chance of rain or flurries,but i have seen times it is 65 and I have seen 10 inches of snow(that melts within 2 days) the large snow is rare though.Just saying you can never be sure.As far as seeing the sights,if you could stay after that would be great because there is no place like NYC for the 3 or 4 weeks before Christmas>The tree at Rock Center usually lights up the first week of December and department store windows such as sachs 5th avenue put on a show about a week after Thanksgiving thru new years

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I know it seemed like a pretty stupid question since I could look the info up on the Internet, but there's nothing more reassuring than hearing it from those who live there.

We are so excited about coming to NYC during the Holiday's. We're coming in a couple days early and I am trying to convince DW to stay a couple days after the cruise. So we'll see. It's our first 10-day cruise, to ports of call we love, leaving from a great city. How much better could a cruise vacation get?

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I know it seemed like a pretty stupid question since I could look the info up on the Internet, but there's nothing more reassuring than hearing it from those who live there.

We are so excited about coming to NYC during the Holiday's. We're coming in a couple days early and I am trying to convince DW to stay a couple days after the cruise. So we'll see. It's our first 10-day cruise, to ports of call we love, leaving from a great city. How much better could a cruise vacation get?

Just an FYI. If you want to grab the radio city Christmas but don't want to buy them ahead of time you can get them many times right at the Times Square tkts booth. However they will be orchestra seats most likely so you will pay a so so price.

Also as you are coming before the height of the season look for half off thru the various discount online sites

Just an FYI

I agree with the others about the temperature, but expect a pretty biting wind. Anytime we go to the city to see the tree it's the wind that gets us. Definitely bring a warm scarf, hat and gloves. Tons of vendors sell that stuff too if you want something new.

I agree with the others about the temperature, but expect a pretty biting wind. Anytime we go to the city to see the tree it's the wind that gets us. Definitely bring a warm scarf, hat and gloves. Tons of vendors sell that stuff too if you want something new.

Thank you! My next post for this trip will be this time next year asking for ideas of places to see or things to do while we're there.

This is what I was going to mention. With all the tall buildings, the wind gets channeled down the streets and avenues. Also, in December, the days are short, the sun is low, and those same buildings block a lot of light. You may see pedestrians on one side of the street, but not the other. They're seeking out the sun :)

And I may be in KC in September. How's the weather?

Welcome to KC! September's a frustrating month for me - you're on the tail-end of summer with fall right around the corner. It's usually pretty warm here then and can sometimes be fairly stormy. It'll be beautiful though.

Thanks, and in response to an earlier post, I don't think asking about the weather is necessarily a "stupid question". Weather and climate websites will give you lots of statistics, but residents will tell you how it really feels! For example, a website may tell you to expect rain every day, but a local will tell you it's just a passing afternoon shower. So I appreciate the added info.

Welcome to NY!