Recommendations for Mediteranian cruise- Honeymoon

furs840

Hi all,

First time posting but I've been reading the forums for a bit. I'm looking to book a cruise for my honeymoon in the Mediteranian and would like a luxury cruise line experience. I have been on more than 10 cruises in my life, but the issue is that this was all before I was 20 years of age. My family traveled a lot when I was young and sadly I wasn't old enough to remember or often times appreciate it fully.

I remember loving Seabourn (I sailed on the Legend many years ago, and one of their other ships as well). So I'm looking for a similar experience. It seems like Seabourn has larger ships now and sadly not many good options that meet my time constraints. So I need a refresher on luxury cruises and the best brands today. I've looked at SilverSea, Sea Dream, and as mentioned Seabourn. I'd love to here your thoughts given my perticular situation.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Timing (departing): late September 2017 or October 2017

Duration: 7-12 days

Destination: Mediteranian

Ultra luxury- If mid shelf liquor isn't included I'm not interested

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regent seems to have a lot of good options in terms of trips. My concern with them is that it seems a little over the top in terms of "white glove" service but some reviews seem to indicate that the level of service is actually lacking. I'm a pretty low key person, but feel that service is very important. I don't need white gloves or silver platters but timely and attentive service is paramount on a trip such as this. Do people feel that regent can deliver this?

Any perticular regent ships that are better than others?

Regarding Regent, not really a fussy, white glove kind of experience.

More relaxed experience than that from the consumer side.

It is very inclusive with a commensurate price.

Liquor is much higher level than "mid-shelf".

I think the ship I'd recommend right now with Regent is the new Explorer - in part because they seemed to have taken a lot of the best and brightest for this ship's crew. 750 guests. 552 crew.

One caution - many have felt the G and H cabins are too tight for comfort. Much of this is relative to past experience. Since you've sailed luxury in the past, make sure you read about these more on the Regent board before choosing.

There are several voyages which would fit your parameters.

Barcelona to Venice 10 nights Oct 4, 2017

Rome to Monte Carlo 7 nights Oct 21, 2017

Monte Carlo to Barcelona 7 nights Oct 28, 2017

Congratulations on your marriage.

Regarding Regent, not really a fussy, white glove kind of experience.

More relaxed experience than that from the consumer side.

It is very inclusive with a commensurate price.

Liquor is much higher level than "mid-shelf".

I think the ship I'd recommend right now with Regent is the new Explorer - in part because they seemed to have taken a lot of the best and brightest for this ship's crew. 750 guests. 552 crew.

One caution - many have felt the G and H cabins are too tight for comfort. Much of this is relative to past experience. Since you've sailed luxury in the past, make sure you read about these more on the Regent board before choosing.

There are several voyages which would fit your parameters.

Barcelona to Venice 10 nights Oct 4, 2017

Rome to Monte Carlo 7 nights Oct 21, 2017

Monte Carlo to Barcelona 7 nights Oct 28, 2017

Congratulations on your marriage.

Thanks for your reply.I'll have to spend some time on the regent forums to learn more about the cabin options. Given the special occasion I was looking at the D, E or penthouse cabins, but of course I need to develop a better understanding of value before I make that decision.

Can someone explain to me what a typical night at dinner (in the standard restaurant would mean). When I used to travel with family we always had our own table (as a family of 5). As a couple will I also have my own table each evening?

There definitely are tables for two in Compass Rose - the main dining room.

There are also tables for two in the specialty restaurants (included in your cruise fare).

Another reason for Explorer is the additional restaurant choices compared with the other ships in the fleet.

A typical dinner is casual elegant (no coat or tie required).

Not fixed dining table or time.

Go when you want and eat with whom you want - as a couple or with new friends if you choose.

To see cost v value, compare suites C, E, and F2 - each the least expensive option in its category.

https://www.rssc.com/ships/compare/default.aspx?Ship=EXP&Suites=c%7Ce%7Cf2

Edited by ededmd
Adding info

There definitely are tables for two in Compass Rose - the main dining room.

There are also tables for two in the specialty restaurants (included in your cruise fare).

Another reason for Explorer is the additional restaurant choices compared with the other ships in the fleet.

A typical dinner is casual elegant (no coat or tie required).

Not fixed dining table or time.

Go when you want and eat with whom you want - as a couple or with new friends if you choose.

To see cost v value, compare suites C, E, and F2 - each the least expensive option in its category.

https://www.rssc.com/ships/compare/default.aspx?Ship=EXP&Suites=c%7Ce%7Cf2

That room comparison was helpful. Does anyone else have thoughts on the concierge vs. penthouse rooms?

Edited by furs840

I'll be straight with you...

You will get a LOT of responses to your question on the Regent board.

Make sure to specify "on the Explorer" as that ship is quite different from the older 3.

There was a thread from August asking this same question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2390601&highlight=Explorer+Penthouse

If you still have questions,

I'd title it "Explorer question"

And just ask:

For those who have sailed her, please share your thoughts on the concierge versus penthouse suites. I read the August thread on this topic and want to see if there are further opinions.

The biggest differential is the butler with the PH and above.

There seems to be some folks who don't like the layout of the penthouse suites.

So in the same way I'd be cautious about G and H, I'd really look closely before booking a penthouse.

Edited by ededmd
Had to correct the autocorrect

Hi all,

First time posting but I've been reading the forums for a bit. I'm looking to book a cruise for my honeymoon in the Mediteranian and would like a luxury cruise line experience. I have been on more than 10 cruises in my life, but the issue is that this was all before I was 20 years of age. My family traveled a lot when I was young and sadly I wasn't old enough to remember or often times appreciate it fully.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Timing (departing): late September 2017 or October 2017

Duration: 7-12 days

Destination: Mediteranian

Ultra luxury- If mid shelf liquor isn't included I'm not interested

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Just a few things to add to some of the advice you have already been given:

1. Remember that the weather in the Mediterranean can be changeable in September and October. Before booking, check the itinerary and look up previous weather averages

2. We always find that 7 days is too short for a cruise, especially if you are travelling from afar. For us it needs to be at least 10 days, preferably 14

3. I do not know what age you are; remember that the luxury lines tend to attract an older clientele

4. We cruise with Regent frequently. What attracts us includes:

Guest diversity
: Generally two thirds north american, the majority of the other third being from the UK but with a number of other nationalities. We have met some very interesting people. Language on board is English

Officers & crew
: Efficient but friendly

Space
: Regent ships never feel crowded

Dress code
: Well dressed but not formal (smart casual)

All inclusive
: Everything paid up front with no unexpected bill at the end of the cruise (unless you splurge in the spa or shops)

Food & drink
: Quality ingredients, well prepared

5. If you decide you like the idea of Regent then I strongly suggest:

Book through a TA
; although it seems counter-intuitive you will get the best deal (the same with most cruise-lines)

Consider the Regent '
Ambassador Programme
'
; find an existing Regent customer who is already booked on the same cruise (either through your TA or via the CC Regent Board) and get them to nominate you; you will both receive additional perks

Whatever you decide, best wishes for your wedding and have a great honeymoon

Regent seems to have a lot of good options in terms of trips. My concern with them is that it seems a little over the top in terms of "white glove" service but some reviews seem to indicate that the level of service is actually lacking. I'm a pretty low key person, but feel that service is very important. I don't need white gloves or silver platters but timely and attentive service is paramount on a trip such as this. Do people feel that regent can deliver this?

Any perticular regent ships that are better than others?

In terms of "white glove" service, that is pretty normal for luxury cruise lines.

We are currently on Regent's newest ship, the Explorer. The food and service is excellent which is typical for Regent. Sometimes when people talk about slow service, it has to do with the main dining room, Compass Rose. After one of Regent's special events (night of the Captain's Reception Cocktail party for instance), if 300-400 people decide they want to dine there, it becomes difficult (as it would for any restaurant where everyone shows up at once).

Regent's level of alcohol include Patron tequila, Grey Goose vodka and other top shelf choices. IMO, Explorer is the best of the Regent ships by far. - very luxurious but also comfortable with large double-sinks in the bathroom, large balconies and beautiful public spaces. It would be hard for any luxury cruise line to top the Explorer. The biggest "complaint" about the Explorer is the dark woods and black marble used in some areas. If that is the worst thing people can say about the ship, they may be looking for things to complain about.

Look at the Windstar Windsurf with the beverage package added. Max is around 300 passengers, open seating every meal (eat as part of a group or alone, your choice based on how you feel that night.). Business casual all dinners, ages will range from 30's to 70's, unpretentious, interesting people.

And there is nothing as romantic as being under wind power when they unfurl the sails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ducklite