Marseille to Aix on your own?

gatorphin

We'd like to travel from Marseille to Aix on our own. How hard is it? Which is better: bus or train? How much time does it take to see the city? Are we better off staying in Marseille or travelling to Aix? Thanks in advance for our help and insight.

We really have no preference between bus and train and, for us, it would just depend on which was more convenient at the time. Both the bus station and train station (St Charles) are in the same area. As to choosing between Marseille and Aix, our preference would be Aix. That being said, for those who do spend a day in Marseille there are some decent restaurant/cafes and a boat ride over the Chateau d'If is interesting.

Hank

from Marseille to AIX ...is this an easy process via bus ??

we are on a cruise with very small roll call and the only outside excursion is booked ...so we would like to try to do this on our own

if its not an easy task we may opt for the overpriced ship excursion

We are planning to go to Aix. Will take bus or train there. Depending on what time we get to station. Will take the other back . It really looks quite easy and beautiful. Then spend a !title time in Marseilles. Hope this will work. Want to sit in a cafe in Provence and watch the world go by, if only for a short time.

We tried to take the train to Aix and our credit cards would not work in the machine to buy tickets. We tried our debit cards and finally gave up and took the bus. It was fine on the outbound. The driver told us where to wait to go back to Marseille. We waited there(by the terminal) for over an hour and a half. The bus was actually stopping down and across the street. My husband walked down to confirm the stop. We got back to Marseille after losing over two hours trying to return. Make sure you allow time to buy the train ticket at a window and make sure you are in the right place for the bus. This was one of the biggest disappointments of all of our travels. We didn't have time to see Marseille after losing so much time. We had shared a cab to the train from the ship, which is a good idea.

We tried to take the train to Aix and our credit cards would not work in the machine to buy tickets. We tried our debit cards and finally gave up and took the bus. It was fine on the outbound. The driver told us where to wait to go back to Marseille. We waited there(by the terminal) for over an hour and a half. The bus was actually stopping down and across the street. My husband walked down to confirm the stop. We got back to Marseille after losing over two hours trying to return. Make sure you allow time to buy the train ticket at a window and make sure you are in the right place for the bus. This was one of the biggest disappointments of all of our travels. We didn't have time to see Marseille after losing so much time. We had shared a cab to the train from the ship, which is a good idea.

Most US issued credit cards will not work in European credit card machines because they require a Chip/PIN card (not chip/signature). This has been discussed online (here on CC and just about every other travel forum) for several years. US magnetic debit/ATM cards will usually work in European ATMs...assuming you are within your daily withdrawal limits. But one should always notify the issuing bank of their itinerary and also notify all the major credit card companies. We also advise that folks carry enough Euros (just get them out of an ATM at your first EU port) to cover the situation when a credit card does not work.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
Most US issued credit cards will not work in European credit card machines because they require a Chip/PIN card (not chip/signature). This has been discussed online (here on CC and just about every other travel forum) for several years. US magnetic debit/ATM cards will usually work in European ATMs...assuming you are within your daily withdrawal limits. But one should always notify the issuing bank of their itinerary and also notify all the major credit card companies. We also advise that folks carry enough Euros (just get them out of an ATM at your first EU port) to cover the situation when a credit card does not work.

Hank

We were in Europe in 2012 and had no issues using our credit cards even though the US had not added the chips yet and they were already standard in the EU. Besides notifying the card companies of your travel plans, it's a good idea to request a PIN number for the card. Be aware that this will process as a cash transaction, but when nothing else will work it will allow you to make purchases when the machine requires a pin as well as the chip.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

• 2 weeks later...

How long does it take to get to Aix from the Marseilles port/cruise ship? Based on google maps near what I think is the cruise ship port, it looks like it will take about 1.5 hours total. Does that seem right?

Also, is the bus any more scenic than the train? I tend to get bus sick but would be willing to put up with that to drive through fields of lavender :)

After doing some research, we are planning to take a cab from the ship to the train station (rather than take the shuttle bus and ride the metro to the train station). Then we will take the train to Aix. It seems to be very doable on your own. You can take an official excursion but Aix doesn't seem to be the type of place where you would need--or want--a tour guide.

After doing some research, we are planning to take a cab from the ship to the train station (rather than take the shuttle bus and ride the metro to the train station). Then we will take the train to Aix. It seems to be very doable on your own. You can take an official excursion but Aix doesn't seem to be the type of place where you would need--or want--a tour guide.

That sounds like a good plan. We have been to Aix, it is lovely but you do not need a guide to say "oh look how lovely it is" :D

I'm planning to do exactly the same. But I'll take advantage of the on board Internet and try to request an Uber to the pier, looks cheaper and the fare is charged to my credit card. For the trip back to the ship from the train station, I have no option than taking a regular cab.

I'm planning to do exactly the same. But I'll take advantage of the on board Internet and try to request an Uber to the pier, looks cheaper and the fare is charged to my credit card. For the trip back to the ship from the train station, I have no option than taking a regular cab.

How does,one know if uber is there...and do i use my regular uber app?? Does,it show in euro...

Confused

Hmmm. Like that idea. I'm not planning to purchase internet on-board, though. Wonder if there is wi-fi at the port. I'll have to look that up.

Hard to say. UBER app works on set location (i.e. address, landmark) so I'd guess that unmarked pier would be hard to find. I guess it should be ok outside port gates assuming one has data connectivity on the cell phone.

I've read that people's excursions can not pick them up at ship. I'm assuming we will have to take a shuttle out of port. I think the taxi to Train station sounds the way to go. I'm thinking of getting a Vacation sim for this trip, so may try the uber option.