First Timer Rome DIY

Justprettynpink

This will be our first trip to Europe :-) (Next month yay!)

Will have arrival day and one full day in Rome before our cruise. We want to play it by ear but I want to make sure I have done everything to save money and time. I am not looking to see everything just get a great experience (If I don't see everything, I have to go back right? ;) )

This what I have learned so far in searching the boards:

Euros: Using ATMs (found a bank that does not charges fees)

Hotel: Hilton FCO - using points and they have a free shuttle into Rome

Advance Tickets in hand: Vatican Museum/ Sistine Chapel (Day 2)

Colosseum (day 1)

Restaurants- Have some places in mind. Suggestions for a family owned/non touristy pasta dinner? (Can we do it for not over $100? )

If we go to a small restaurant, and there is no room, any suggestions as to where we can take our food? Can we have alcohol in public?

Transfer: Private shared shuttle

Anything else I am forgetting?

Any other tips?

Thank you all :-)

Edited by Justprettynpink

My husband and I went to Europe a couple of years ago and I must say it was magical. Our itinerary was different, but did go to Capri. It is very expensive and very touristy, but we had a wonderful pasta lunch (water front). We took the tram up a very steep hill and found a place for coffee, limoncello and cake and the views are to die for. There are also shops (very high end), but very nice. We were told that Naples was the armpit of Italy, so can't comment on that. Some guests stayed port-side in Naples and had a wonderful time. I hope you give a review, so we can hear about the rest of your trip. We hope to go back next year, but not cruising next time. There is so much to see and do in Italy, so enjoy. Joyce

There are hundreds of great, small restaurants around Rome. As long as you get more than one block away from a major tourist site you should be fine.

There really isn't the concept of take away food from a restaurant. You can buy from a deli or a supermarket but you'll find that Europeans in general and Italians, specifically, do not walk around eating in public (with the notable exception of gelato).

The Hilton shuttle used to drop off and pick up near Teatro Marcello, if that's still the case it would be good to look for a restaurant in the ghetto so you don't have far to go for your bus. That could be particularly important if you're trying to make the last bus of the evening.

Edited by euro cruiser

For a light meal or snack, Panepiu Bistrot gets the highest marks on the Italian version of Trip Advisor: https://www.tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d3707469-Reviews-Panepiu_Bistrot-Rome_Lazio.html

For an actual dinner Il Giardino Romano is highly recommended: http://www.ilgiardinoromano.it/web/#_=_

Both of these restaurants are just steps from the Hilton bus stop (unless, as noted above, it has moved since I last saw it).

My husband and I went to Europe a couple of years ago and I must say it was magical. Our itinerary was different, but did go to Capri. It is very expensive and very touristy, but we had a wonderful pasta lunch (water front). We took the tram up a very steep hill and found a place for coffee, limoncello and cake and the views are to die for. There are also shops (very high end), but very nice. We were told that Naples was the armpit of Italy, so can't comment on that. Some guests stayed port-side in Naples and had a wonderful time. I hope you give a review, so we can hear about the rest of your trip. We hope to go back next year, but not cruising next time. There is so much to see and do in Italy, so enjoy. Joyce

Not sure what this had to do with the OPs questions regarding Rome.

To the OP your plan to split visiting the Vatican area and Ancient Rome is very wise, as to often people try to jam to much into one day. Do not know what time you plan the colosseum/forum visit but earlier in AM might be best. Then you would be well positioned to wander to the pantheon,trevi, and the steps on foot. This would be a good visit day with time for lunch and/or gelato.

What else you add to your Vatican day would depend on when you started and how long you spent at the museum. In afternoon or evening you could pick a museum or gardens, lots to chose from depending on your interest.

Should be able to get euros at any ATM, remember to let your home bank know your on the road. Also get extra as you may need some for ports on your cruise.

Are you staying at the Hilton FCO because you are an HHonors member? That would be the only reason for staying out there at the start of a trip. I love that hotel and stay there at the end of a trip because I don't like getting up real early for that early AM flight home and I've always been upgraded to a nice room on the Lounge Floor as an HHonors Gold ;) If you are an HHonors member, see if you have enough points to splurge at the Rome Cavalieri…

Along with the free shuttle, you can also pay and take the train back to the hotel at night if you miss the shuttle. Just keep an eye on the schedule for that day…

For a family pasta meal, well, I'll recommend my favorite "first night in Rome" restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. It is a very small trattoria that is noted for it's Roman cuisine. You MUST have reservations - you can make them on their website. Every time I've gone in there, there has been a mix of local families, groups of friends, travelers. I'm mostly a vegetarian (I prefer no red meat), so I will make a meal out of an appetizer and one of their plates of pasta. I have never had a bad meal there. The price is reasonable but it will cost you more than $100. I guess if you just got pasta and drank tap water you could do it, but you're missing out on other good things. You have to save room for their Roman Torta for dessert!!! It's location can't be beat - it is about a block away from The Pantheon.

Edited by slidergirl

Are you staying at the Hilton FCO because you are an HHonors member? That would be the only reason for staying out there at the start of a trip. I love that hotel and stay there at the end of a trip because I don't like getting up real early for that early AM flight home and I've always been upgraded to a nice room on the Lounge Floor as an HHonors Gold ;) If you are an HHonors member, see if you have enough points to splurge at the Rome Cavalieri…

Along with the free shuttle, you can also pay and take the train back to the hotel at night if you miss the shuttle. Just keep an eye on the schedule for that day…

For a family pasta meal, well, I'll recommend my favorite "first night in Rome" restaurant - Armando al Pantheon. It is a very small trattoria that is noted for it's Roman cuisine. You MUST have reservations - you can make them on their website. Every time I've gone in there, there has been a mix of local families, groups of friends, travelers. I'm mostly a vegetarian (I prefer no red meat), so I will make a meal out of an appetizer and one of their plates of pasta. I have never had a bad meal there. The price is reasonable but it will cost you more than $100. I guess if you just got pasta and drank tap water you could do it, but you're missing out on other good things. You have to save room for their Roman Torta for dessert!!! It's location can't be beat - it is about a block away from The Pantheon.

Yes we are using points. :-)

I made our reservations at Armando al Pantheon :-)

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions...looking forward to continuing to get ideas and suggestions...

Edited by Justprettynpink

Yes we are using points. :-)

I made our reservations at Armando al Pantheon :-)

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions...looking forward to continuing to get ideas and suggestions...

Yeah, I used to get sucked into the "points hole" back when I traveled as part of my job and had a boatload of SPG points. The past 6 years, I've been sucked into the "employee rate" hole. Between winning free stay at the Cavalieri, the $59-89/night rates at other decent brand hotels, the 5 free nights/year from my current employer, well, I'll take the price over location ;)

I do hope you enjoy Armando - definitely listen to the daily specials before deciding. I usually end up with the daily appetizer offering if it is an artichoke or a special bruschetta. If it's Thursday, the gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce is yummy.

don't miss the small pizza places around along the streets. you go in and order a piece of pizza to take with you. you get the feel of what the locals eat and you may be surprised at the choices. great for lunch as you go from site to site. Most important.... relax and enjoy rome. that is the true experience.