Amsterdam?

jarand

We will be on the Amsterdam's Panama Canal sailing in a few weeks. We're in an OV room looking out onto the lower promenade. We've had a similar cabin before, so I'm aware of the pros/cons.

Any words of wisdom on the ship itself? Is she tired, as some HAL ships seem to be? Where are the great places to hang out? Besides the bow, is there a place you'd suggest to watch the crossing? Any other tips? Thanks!

We will be on the Amsterdam's Panama Canal sailing in a few weeks. We're in an OV room looking out onto the lower promenade. We've had a similar cabin before, so I'm aware of the pros/cons.

Any words of wisdom on the ship itself? Is she tired, as some HAL ships seem to be? Where are the great places to hang out? Besides the bow, is there a place you'd suggest to watch the crossing? Any other tips? Thanks!

I did a 45 day on Amsterdam in October 2012. She is one of HAL's flagships and is in great shape. Because she does "Grand Voyages", I was told the crew is "hand picked". I also thought the quality of the food was a bit better than other HAL ships. The stern of the ship is also a good viewing point in my opinion. The object is to see both sides of the locks.

Have a great cruise!

My wife and I did a partial transit on the Zuiderdam. We found that the the best place place to view, was from the balcony in front of the fitness room, it was not too crowded so there was room to move about and see both sides of the ship. If I remember correctly I found out about this location on this CC board.

Love the Amsterdam - am anxiously looking forward to my third time on her this coming May 17th (North to Alaska - woo-hoo!:D). We love the aft 'secret deck' on Navigation deck, just one flight of stairs down from the aft Lido pool. There are also 'secret' aft decks on Main and deck 6 as well.

Amsterdam just feels like home to me from the moment I step on board. Enjoy!

We have done the Panama Canal transit on the Amsterdam three times but the reverse of the upcoming voyage. I suggest watching the transit from all vantage points. The bow and access forward from Deck 6 are favorites of many. I personally prefer aft on the Lido Deck 8 where you see where you have been and can still watch the locks open and close, the water levels, other ships, etc. Also when the ship is lowering into the locks, from Deck 3 Lower Promenade you can experience being "in the chamber". A lot of folks hang out in the Crows Nest so that will be crowded. We generally walk all around - it is about an 8 hour transit so you can experience it from a lot of different venues.

As for the ship, she is one of the older ones but is my favorite - max of about 1380 passengers. She is coming off the World Cruise when you get on her on the 28th so there will probably be some change in crew but not all as most have 10 month contracts.

Places we like - Crows Nest in the morning for quiet space. if you eat in the Lido for breakfast and lunch, would suggest sitting in the Caneletto section as it is quieter. The Sea View pool area is great for sunning. Explorations Café is also a popular place. Amsterdam was in drydock in early December so the public areas have been refurbished.

It's a great ship to go through the Canal on and I hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

When we did the P.C. on the Amsterdam I was on the forward Verandah deck, and I would choose the same spot again. When you're down on the bow, unless you're right at the very forward point, there are people in most of your camera angles. :(

We were on the Amsterdam too many years ago to know anything about her condition now, but we liked it then! :)

I always tell people experiencing the Panama Canal for the first time to not spend the entire day on the upper decks. Going out on the Lower Promenade Deck as the ship goes through at least one of the locks is important, I think, to have the experience of actually rising or falling in one of the lock chambers. When one is on the upper decks, you know that the ship is going through one or the other of those motions, but you don't have the same sense of it happening unless you are on a lower deck.

Also, I strongly recommend you read The Path Between the Seas before your cruise. It will give you a historical perspective on what you will be experiencing.