Maui Questions

rjeffler

If you decide to park at a hotel I would suggest the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, with daily valet parking at $14, self parking $12. If you go to their website there is a nice photo of Black Rock from the hotel. Cherie

That's a convenient option...mahalo. :)

• 1 month later...

Silver Sweethearts user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

No. We just live here on Maui and try to pass along information that may be helpful to visitors. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the islands!

In hopes you or Astro or another of the wonderfully helpful people see this........We've given in and rented a car to get to Lahaina. Now that we will have a little more free time, where would you suggest for a meal? The usual tourist place like Cheeseburger in Paradise? Any good out-of-the way not-so-touristy ones? We'll be whale watching and then spend time in the town before driving back to the POA. Thanks for any advice.

In hopes you or Astro or another of the wonderfully helpful people see this........We've given in and rented a car to get to Lahaina. Now that we will have a little more free time, where would you suggest for a meal? The usual tourist place like Cheeseburger in Paradise? Any good out-of-the way not-so-touristy ones? We'll be whale watching and then spend time in the town before driving back to the POA. Thanks for any advice.

As of last Tuesday, Nov 22, Cheeseburger in Paradise is closed for an extensive remodel. I would guess it won't be open again for 6 months or so.

There are many good eateries...it depends on what you want to eat. An new branch of the Paia (spelling?) Fish Market opened in the old Burger King, on the main square in Lahaina. We are looking forward to eating there next time- it has a very good rep.

Mick Fleetwood (Fleetwood Mac) has a restaurant on Front St. Haven't eaten there- pub-ish, limited menu, a bit expensive last time we looked.

What are your food tastes?

Silver Sweethearts user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

No. We just live here on Maui and try to pass along information that may be helpful to visitors. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the islands!

We take visiting friends to the Hula Grill's Barefoot Bar at Ka'anapali's Whalers Village.

There are tables & chairs in the sand (also some on concrete) under umbrellas across from the beach & they regularly have free entertainment. Their lunch menu averages $15-$20 and they validate parking. It's a fun outdoor dining experience & everyone enjoyed their meal.

http://www.hulagrillkaanapali.com/menus/barefoot-bar

http://www.hulagrillkaanapali.com/uploads/plugins/MediaPdf/restaurantlocationmenu/id/90/hgk_daybar081416.pdf

If you'd like some tasty local-style food including some typical luau type of food, Aloha Mixed Plate next to the Old Lahaina Luau is an oceanfront casual dining restaurant. It's owned by the same company as the OLL and Feast at Lele and all of them have some ono-liscious food.

It's a short distance from the Lahaina Harbor & across the street from the air-conditioned Lahaina Cannery Mall.

http://www.alohamixedplate.com/menu.html

If you could say what type of food you enjoy, maybe we could offer some other suggestions.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Bruce and Astro, Thanks for the recommendations! We aren't picky eaters. I'll try most anything (yes, if I've never heard of it, I'll likely try it once); husband won't eat fish but does like "seafood that crawls" Mostly, I'd like to try some place that isn't the usual tourist-trap. Looking forward to my first trip to Hawaii!

Bruce and Astro, Thanks for the recommendations! We aren't picky eaters. I'll try most anything (yes, if I've never heard of it, I'll likely try it once); husband won't eat fish but does like "seafood that crawls" Mostly, I'd like to try some place that isn't the usual tourist-trap. Looking forward to my first trip to Hawaii!

I'm guessing that you're coming from Kahului & there's another place that we enjoy...Da Kitchen.

It's located near the airport & Kahului cruise ship pier & it's always busy with locals. It's table service meals with local-style food so that could be another option. Large portions of good food if you like Hawaiian local grindz not at a usual tourist-trap.

http://dakitchen.com

http://dakitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/KA-T-O-1.2016-no-price.pdf

One suggestion for your first trip to Hawaii...don't see too many things from a vehicle & take some time to more fully enjoy the Hawaiian experience.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thank you once more! I've read all the menus and now am hungry! Noticed there's a Da Kitchen in Honolulu, too. We're there a few days before so will have to see if it's anywhere near us. Definitely will try one of these suggestions! We have some NCL excursions on the front days at Honolulu then have booked some private tours in other ports as well as a whale watching trip. Husband has been many years ago and always wanted to go back but I'm just making it. Better late than never!

Thank you once more! I've read all the menus and now am hungry! Noticed there's a Da Kitchen in Honolulu, too. We're there a few days before so will have to see if it's anywhere near us. Definitely will try one of these suggestions! We have some NCL excursions on the front days at Honolulu then have booked some private tours in other ports as well as a whale watching trip. Husband has been many years ago and always wanted to go back but I'm just making it. Better late than never!

There's another Da Kitchen in Kihei Maui with counter service & indoor seating.

Many decades ago the USN provided my first "visit" to Hawaii...arriving on an aircraft carrier at dawn in Pearl Harbor is a memory that's firmly ingrained in my mind!

In Lahaina on Front St...pretty good Italian- Longhis.

Hard Rock and Bubba Gumps. There are a couple of pretty good seafood places, but doesn't sound like that is happening.

Seafood is fine; he loves shrimp, lobster, etc. (crawls) Just doesn't like the finny kind. LOL What are the good seafood spots?

Thanks!

There's another Da Kitchen in Kihei Maui with counter service & indoor seating.

Many decades ago the USN provided my first "visit" to Hawaii...arriving on an aircraft carrier at dawn in Pearl Harbor is a memory that's firmly ingrained in my mind!

Can't imagine all the emotions on that "visit!" I work with a Navy guy but most of his USN trips were Vietnam. Now he's battling some sort of leukemia caused by agent orange. You Navy guys are tough!

Found the DaKitchen in Honolulu. Would have to take a taxi. Suspect we can find good food closer to our hotel (Marriott)

Thanks!

In Lahaina on Front St...pretty good Italian- Longhis.

Hard Rock and Bubba Gumps. There are a couple of pretty good seafood places, but doesn't sound like that is happening.

CruiserBruce - Word has it that the Hard Rock Cafe in Lahaina is closing the first part of next month. Have you heard if there is any truth to the rumor?

Ate there Nov 22. Didn't see any indicator...but wasn't looking. Closed, like going out of business?

The information came from more than one server there, but that is no guarantee of accuracy. Supposedly will happen (closing Maui location only) the first part of December. That's all we know.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

The information came from more than one server there, but that is no guarantee of accuracy. Supposedly will happen (closing Maui location only) the first part of December. That's all we know.

Searched online & found this posted on a website about store closing.

"HARD ROCK CAFE MAUI CLOSING

Was there tonight 11/19/2016. All merchandice is 50% off. Staff says the closing will be December 6,2016".

As of last Tuesday, Nov 22, Cheeseburger in Paradise is closed for an extensive remodel. I would guess it won't be open again for 6 months or so.

I checked Cheeseburger's FB site & they state that they closed on 11/1 for remodeling.

"Aloha to Everyone in our Cheeseburger In Paradise Ohana! We've got some great news...We are, after 27 years, finally able to guarantee 27 more years of Cheeseburgers, Mai Tais & Rock and Roll at 811 Front Street by renovating and improving our restaurant! This will require us to close for 8 weeks with a planned date for reopening January 6, 2017".

14915447_425263234264594_2509240665612435451_n.jpg.8cde4f2c6272d25b9856f8c81378a519.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

I checked Cheeseburger's FB site & they state that they closed on 11/1 for remodeling.

"Aloha to Everyone in our Cheeseburger In Paradise Ohana! We've got some great news...We are, after 27 years, finally able to guarantee 27 more years of Cheeseburgers, Mai Tais & Rock and Roll at 811 Front Street by renovating and improving our restaurant! This will require us to close for 8 weeks with a planned date for reopening January 6, 2017".

Unless they had to use that time period, it doesn't seem too smart to close during high season and then reopen after holiday visitors have gone home.

I actually was there, and looked in the building. It was in dire need of repair and remodel. If it is open by Jan 6, great, but I would be very surprised. The dry rot and other damage looked extensive.

Unless they had to use that time period, it doesn't seem too smart to close during high season and then reopen after holiday visitors have gone home.

Their statement about they're now guaranteed another 27 years makes me wonder if they just renewed their lease? And maybe the renovation was badly needed & they had to make repairs ASAP.

Even so, it's an odd time to close down for renovation during the busy holiday season. I'd think that April/May would have been a better time to shut down for renovation. They did wait until the day after the Lahaina Halloween celebration to not miss that income.

I actually was there, and looked in the building. It was in dire need of repair and remodel. If it is open by Jan 6, great, but I would be very surprised. The dry rot and other damage looked extensive.

I was composing my reply & missed your post which confirms my speculation that repairs were needed now. I'd be surprised if they opened on that date knowing how things done on Island-time always takes longer...especially when winter surf is up! ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Our Princess cruise disembarks at Lahaina. Is there a bus service or a hop-on hop-off bus in Maui between Lahaina and other areas?

No hop on hop off. But there is a shuttle to Ka'anapali (discussed here from time to time), which is probably the only other place (besides Lahaina) on the west side of Maui you would want to go. Going anywhere else would require a taxi, rental car, the public bus, or excursion.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Our Princess cruise disembarks at Lahaina. Is there a bus service or a hop-on hop-off bus in Maui between Lahaina and other areas?

Your CC name looked familiar & I see that we're both sailing the Star early next month & are posting on the roll call. We split time between the Mainland & Maui and looking forward to island-hopping by ship after the holidays. :)

As Bruce posted there is a limited service public bus system & if you could post where you'd like to visit I could provide you with that information.

Edited by Astro Flyer