winds & waves in December

3red7s

we will be visiting, via the POA the 1st week of December and would certainly like to visit the beaches. can anyone tell me what side of the islands, w/s/n/e would have the calmest waters during the month of December?

It is not possible to predict. However, it has been my experience, for what it is worth, the beaches are better on the west around to south sides of the islands. The north sides of the islands are where the surf events are held, which means the north is where the swell is typically greatest, making the beaches not for the faint of heart.

Thank you for your advice.....and that would make sense...if there is surfing going on that would NOT be the type of waves we would enjoy!

This Hawaii Weather Today website shows Maui monthly average weather conditions and for December states "Medium to large surf is very common on the North and West shores of the island". West Maui's Honolua Bay is great for snorkeling when the conditions are right but also is very popular for winter surf. North shore locations such as Jaws has some of the largest winter surf in the world. I'm not a surfer dude but those are the conditions I often read about.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

It also breaks down forecasted weather conditions by activity: dive/snorkel; windsurfing/kiteboarding; surfing; beaches. It also shows weather forecasts for the other Hawaii islands.

Edited by Astro Flyer