Oasis Aug 20th Total Eclipse - What will Cruise Compass Look Like

Will be on the Aug 20th Oasis Total Eclipse Cruise with a modified Eastern itinerary. Days 2-3 at Sea, Day 4 St Maarten, Day 5 St Thomas, Day 6 Sea Day, Day 7 Nassau. Based on Eclipse events on Day 2 I imagine the Cruise Compass will look a lot different that day. What does everyone else think for the remaining days? Will the Compasses look similar to other recent Eastern sailings? Getting stoked for an awesome cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, the eclipse is on the 21st. According to the NASA site, the path of the greatest totality will be well north of any Eastern Caribbean island. so look for only about a 60-70% totality. Also the path would not reach that area until closer to 4PM in the afternoon ad probably only last under 2 minutes. So yes a big deal in the central US but not so big a deal in the Caribbean.

Good information and maps here.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE2017/TSE2017.html

First, the eclipse is on the 21st. According to the NASA site, the path of the greatest totality will be well north of any Eastern Caribbean island. so look for only about a 60-70% totality. Also the path would not reach that area until closer to 4PM in the afternoon ad probably only last under 2 minutes. So yes a big deal in the central US but not so big a deal in the Caribbean.

Good information and maps here.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono/TSE2017/TSE2017.html

Pretty sure the ship is alternating course to acquire totality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The RCI press release said that they would be sailing a course that would achieve totality.

Well you'll be far out to sea and heading northeast from the Antilles. Or north from Puerto Rico. Maybe since it's on the 21st not the 20th, that would be doable as they can then turn west to Miami. And since it's later in the day for you, you might at least get 90%+

Hey, PM....

Sorry, I think I misread your post and then didn't check your itinerary on line. So the cruise starts, Aug 20th. and you're not in St M until the 23rd. That would then be possible for them to position the ship along the Total track and they sail toward the island, not from. My bad. :o. Grab an aft pool seat though!!

Hey, PM....

Sorry, I think I misread your post and then didn't check your itinerary on line. So the cruise starts, Aug 20th. and you're not in St M until the 23rd. That would then be possible for them to position the ship along the Total track and they sail toward the island, not from. My bad. :o. Grab an aft pool seat though!!

[emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

• 2 weeks later...

we recently booked this cruise specifically because it will be in the Path of Totality on Aug 21. The eclipse will last over 90 minutes while the total eclipse will be seen for a little over 2 minutes. It's a once in a lifetime event and can't understand why there isn't more excitement. Just read that RC will be providing glasses for all passengers as they must be used before and after the sun is completely covered. During the 2 minute total eclipse it is safe to look directly without the glasses and see the corona. Just hoping it's a nice day...

Thanks for posting the map of the path. I would think the following days will be normal cruise sailing. For those interested I read that the surprise band on board for the event will be DNCE

• 2 weeks later...

We are excited to be on this eclipse cruise too. Worked out great since the ship leaves from the port right near our house. They are altering course to be within path of totality. I'm betting they are going to head up towards the Charleston, SC area. That's the last US city that will see totality as the moon's path goes into the ocean.

For all of you that are sailing on the eclipse cruise... it's an awesome experience! I was fortunate to experience one in 1998. We had 4 1/2 minutes of totality in the middle of the Pacific ocean a day after transiting the Panama Canal. Astronomy Magazine sent a crew onboard and we had lectures that were fascinating. Right before totality you will experience a significant drop in temperature, the wind will pick up and you'll see a strip of sunlight at the horizon completely around the ship. Depending upon the stars position, you may see upwards of 4-6 planets. We saw all of them up to Uranus. After going through that I can now understand how people in ancient times thought the world was coming to an end!

Have a great time...

Teri

We were soooo close to pulling the trigger on this one when the press came out, but it conflicted with our upcoming Hawaii trip...dang! So wanted to be with 'em.:')

Hope the cruise is fabulous for all you guys! Bon Voyage. I will expect photos!!!!!!!! Or even Vids!

The depiction of the ship on the map is pretty much where I would expect based on the sailing distances and the scheduled stop in St. Maarten on the 23rd. Now we just need the weather to cooperate as there are a few disturbances that may head in that direction. Positive thoughts, everyone!

I had the pleasure of seeing the 1991 eclipse in Hawaii. It truly was a magnificent sight and I'm looking forward to seeing this one on Oasis. Then, of course, there's April 8, 2024 to look forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best of cruising to all of you. I think by Monday the 92L will be west or southwest of your most likely course. but you could gettrailing showers. As long as those are past by 3:30 PM or so, the eclipse will be visible.

TS Harvey will be on shore by late Sunday and the next wave still very far away.