DIY walking trails Icy Strait Point?

elaine5

I read that some had just DIY walked on the trail by the sea and actually saw whales, sea otters, etc. The excursions are so $$ at Icy for a family of 5. We usually DIY and was wondering if there is enough to fill up 2 hours or so of walking trails and has anyone done this? Also, I read about a show for cruise visitors? Is it free/nomimal fee? We plan to take a whale watching boat the week prior from Vancouver island.

Edited by elaine5

I was in Icy Strait in August 2012. My sister and I first did a whale watching tour, but then walked around Hoonah. There is a paved road from the dock into Hoonah that follows the rocky beach. It's about a mile, maybe a bit longer. There is a shuttle that runs between the dock and the town. ($5 is what sticks in my mind, though don't quote me on it.)

Hoonah is small (population about 750), and there isn't a lot to do. It's a nice little town to walk through - the houses and yards often have quirky or crafty things in them, there's an old cemetery with some lovely and interesting markers -- but unless you're into photography, not much exciting to do.

Considering switching your whale watch in Vancouver Island to one in Hoonah as there's a LOT to do besides whale watches in and around Vancouver Island.

As to seeing wild life - we saw eagles, otters, seals and whales -- no bears. Good chance of seeing at least eagles and whales even if you're not on a tour. For instance, while the whale watch was great, the best picture I got of a whale was in the harbor, before we even got on the boat.

whale1.jpg

Edited to add - there are some shops at the dock (a converted cannery) with locals in native dress which is fun to wander around. And if you're eating lunch in Hoonah, stop at the Chipper Fish. You won't be sorry! (https://www.facebook.com/AKChipperFish)

Edited by TheSecondSister

thanks. Whale watching at Icy is $225PP X 5--ouch! We would rather travel more and spend less. Others have posted that they saw whales just walking around near the shore. We are from the East Coast, so all the Pacific NW topography is interesting to us. Hoping for some non-excursion things to do.

there is a loop trail at the Icy Strait "compound". The "show" you are talking about- is it the dancers? There is a charge for that.

As mentioned there is a free Cannery Museum. You can just take a walk along the marina, up and back. A few food options that are "different". :)

I agree, that there is a whole lot you can do in Victoria, and the whale watch tours, aren't 100%, Hoonah is pretty close to 100% for humpbacks. :)

It's also an excellent opportunity for brown bears, without a flight. You do need to verify the salmon runs.

I googled Icy Strait Walking and found this photo from a blog, I plan on taking it with me when i go.

Icy-Strait-Point-map.jpg

this is the "compound" I mention above. The Cookhouse is also excellent for halibut. :)

It's a small, easy strolling area.

thanks. Whale watching at Icy is $225PP X 5--ouch! We would rather travel more and spend less. Others have posted that they saw whales just walking around near the shore. We are from the East Coast, so all the Pacific NW topography is interesting to us. Hoping for some non-excursion things to do.

Whale Watch is $160 here:

https://hoonahtraveladventures.com/activities/premier-whale-watch-tour/

As mentioned, there are some walking trails right near the dock in ISP. I enjoyed the walk to town: nice paved walkway with locally carved benches. I picked up a town walking map. There is a scattering of interpetaive signs.

thanks for the link to whale watching. I was under the (mistaken) view that for Icy excursions had to be booked via the ship. $160 X5 is within our range. Plus, looks like we could do the walking trail stuff before/after. Lastly, our ship would be in port 3:30-10pm. Seems like w weird time. Anyone have an idea about whale watching @4pm? Maybe we are better to just walk around? Don't know what we could do up til 10pm?

We are whale watching at around 3:30. I don't have any concerns. Keeping my fingers crossed.

One note on the maps, I do believe ISP is putting in a new dock for Cruise ships so they don't have to tender. That may affect where you get off the ship. I am not sure of the location. Maybe someone else has more details.