2.5 days pre-cruise -Orlando/Canaveral/or mix?

alwalaska

To get out of the cold longer, we are flying into MCO on Wednesday for our Saturday cruise on the NCL Spirit.

I will want to stay near the port the night before the cruise. Other than that, I can't decide where I want to stay and what I want to do.

We probably will not want to spend the money to do Disney, Universal, or Seaworld, but it is not a complete impossibility.

We like culture, nature, history, and more. We are not lay on the beach for days people, but we would enjoy a stroll along the beach and a little time relaxing overlooking the water, etc.

Any recommendations?

Our cruise is Feb 20th if that matters.

Last year, we went to Disney's Coronado Springs and nearby Animal Kingdom. It was a mid-priced hotel- very good location.

Then, we stayed at the Radisson Resort in Port Canaveral. Have stayed there several times- we sign up for the cruise shuttle right when we arrive.

To get out of the cold longer, we are flying into MCO on Wednesday for our Saturday cruise on the NCL Spirit.

I will want to stay near the port the night before the cruise. Other than that, I can't decide where I want to stay and what I want to do.

We probably will not want to spend the money to do Disney, Universal, or Seaworld, but it is not a complete impossibility.

We like culture, nature, history, and more. We are not lay on the beach for days people, but we would enjoy a stroll along the beach and a little time relaxing overlooking the water, etc.

Any recommendations?

Our cruise is Feb 20th if that matters.

Since you want to be warm, why don't you drive a little further down A1A to Stuart or Port St. Lucie and have some pool time?

The drive will only take you about two hours and you'll be guaranteed much warmer weather and at the very least, pool weather.

Thanks all! We have been to Cape Canaveral and thoroughly enjoyed it. Anything else like that would be great.

Maybe we'll stay in the Disney area and visit the resorts and downtown Disney and just not spend the money on a one day pass. Disney just seems so expensive if you aren't going for at least 4 days.

Is there really a significant difference in temps if we go farther south? Although, anything about 50 will probably feel wonderful to us in Feb. :rolleyes:

and you'll be guaranteed much warmer weather and at the very least, pool weather.

Is there really a significant difference in temps if we go farther south?

it depends .... what BH mentions is a difference of under 100 miles so the difference is probably gonna be minor. BUT the real issue is, people THINK "FLORIDA" and assume 80 plus degrees. Today in Melbourne the high was 65 (and I LOVED it)

Today Miami's high was 76

Stuart's high was 68

is any of this 'pool weather'?

MAYBE .... when my relatives from up north visit in the winter they jump right in my pool when the air is in the 70's and the pool water is in the 80's .... I think they are NUTS. But it IS a matter of perspective.

For OP

you know what is available in the Orlando area

lesser known things around Port Canaveral include

airboat rides into the northern Everglades .... gator spotting

ECO tours where you can see dolphins and manatees and maybe gators

these can be by boat or kayak

Brevard Zoo and the associated zip line attraction

Cocoa Village ... eclectic shops and antiques

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt - thanks for the info. I saw your rental car map in another post and am very appreciative of the time you took to do this.

My husband was looking at info on the Canaveral National Lake shore. Is that worth a visit?

I think we will spend Wed night after we fly in near Disney, and then we'll spend Thursday and Friday nights in Port Canaveral.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We'll wait until we are in the Caribbean to swim (not a big priority for us), but like I said, we'll be happy with weather in the 50s.

Canaveral National Lake shore

You mean 'sea' shore?

http://www.nps.gov/cana/index.htm

nice beach .... non commercial

but you can just as easily start at Jetty Park and walk south for miles and miles and miles ... yes it is populated but you'll see restrooms and restaurants too! If you start just a bit north of Patrick AFB and head south it is much less built up.

IF CSS is for you, then all of Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge will probably be too .... there is an excellent manatee viewing area ...

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Merritt_Island/

Brevard Zoo offers off-site kayaking trips led by trained naturalists. This unique experience is ideal for visiting family, reunions, corporate outings, tours and special groups of 6 or more. Paddle around the local waterways of Manatee Cove on Merritt Island and Sebastian River, and enjoy up-close encounters with native wildlife including pelican, osprey, eagle, roseate spoonbill and reddish egret. Guests may also encounter manatee, dolphin, sea turtles, horseshoe crabs and more!

Choose from two locations featuring a variety of animals and habitats:

Manatee Cove, Merritt Island

Sebastian River, Sebastian

https://brevardzoo.org/adventures-packages/

Yes Capt, I mean sea shore. We visited the National Lake Shore in MI this August and I bet it will be much warmer when we visit the National Sea Shore in February. It was amazingly beautiful but crazy cold for August.

The birds were one of the main draws to the National Sea Shore area, so the Merritt Island refuge looks amazing.

Thank you for all of the information. I am now convinced that we will have more than enough to keep us very interested and busy for 2 days.

The birds were one of the main draws to the National Sea Shore area, so the Merritt Island refuge looks amazing.

If birding is your thing you'll find PLENTY of places to go around here ..... this is BIG bird watching country.

In addition to the big areas mentioned consider taking an airboat ride, or visiting Viera wetlands. This is also 'scrub jay' country, a very threatened species .... eagles, osprey are all over the place, sandhill cranes, blue heron, wood stork ....

there are national birding events here every year. I'm no bird watcher but even I recognize this place has a bunch of variety!

Yes, the difference between Orlando and South Florida can be 15 degrees.

So 65 in Orlando can be 80 down here.

CAN be

Today's high in Miami 75 .... Melbourne 72

Orlando being more inland can be significantly different from the ocean side

Orlando only saw 70 today

but still only a 5 degree difference . . . O to M

Edited by Capt_BJ