Food & Service Not good in "inclusive" Restaurants?

din2play2

Just back from the Dawn. This is our sixth cruise, across three ships (Dawn 3x, Jewel 2x, and Breakaway once). For my wife and I, it's specialty all the way.

We love going out to eat, and enjoy the entire experience - service, ambiance, and (of course) food quality. And all three are vastly superior at the specialties. It's simply not close.

To me, the buffet is awful. Even worse than the "$10 all you can eat" place many towns have. And the MDR's are, at best, equal to food you get at a budget-conscious wedding. Whereas the specialty places are equal to the best restaurants in most US towns. I'm not saying it's NYC 5-star food, but they are as good, if not better, than that fairly pricy place you go to when you leave the kids at home. If I had to guess, the typical specialty experience is a $100 - $200 (per couple) meal locally.

But that's us. To each their own. Cruise and eat how you like.

DH and I have always been very happy with the food in the MDRs. The only time we eat in one of the specialty restaurants is if we have a taste for a very specific food that you'll only find there, like if we're wanting sushi.

I don't think "most people" do go to the specialty restaurants, I think it's safer to say that "many people" go to the specialty restaurants. We have always found the food and service in the MDR to be good to excellent.

We do as well! Sometimes on our longer cruises 12-14 nights, we just feel like a change of pace. We only do 1, maybe 2 at most. LeBistro is # 1. Maybe this time we'll try Modernos, and that's it.

To be honest, we've tried all of the specialty restaurants except Le Bistro and have been unimpressed with most of them. Probably the worst service we've ever had was in Moderno on the Jewel out of New Orleans. The service was very slow and after we finished eating we were waiting on our slip for the wine we had left. Our server disappeared for a long time and then ignored us when we tried to flag him down. The manager took care of us when we waved him over. Maybe it was because there was a table of officers in restaurant but other than that, they weren't really busy. Maybe it's because we're paying extra so I expect it to be a little better service and quality of food. Now we really loved the tex mex restaurant (can't remember the name) but Moderno replaced it. I'm usually happy with whatever I have in the MD.

New to NCL and I am just wondering why most people go to the Specialty Restaurants.

Is the food and service not good in the inclusive restaurants? Why spend the extra $$ if you don't have to? What would I be missing if I don't go to them?

The food and service is fine in the dining rooms. The reason for going to specialty restaurants is the food is more upscale and the service more personal since the waiters don't have as many tables to service.

The MDR is fine. I never understood the whole "we only eat in specialty restaurants" thing. The only thing I can surmise is they don't go out to dinner much, and feel it's extra special. I'm really not sure. None of them have been anything to write home about for years now .... they aren't horrible or anything, just nothing special.

No the MDR food isn't horrible, its just not very good on NCL!

The specialty rests. are usually much better on the cruises we've taken like our recent Getaway!:)

I would be perfectly happy with the main dining options and thought I might not want a sit down dinner every night. But here's why I chose the ultimate dining package (UDP) and plan to dine at specialty restaurants every evening.

• My wife and I never go out, and the idea of having a relaxing dinner, especially on the waterfront sounds nice. Our young son will be happy with the buffet and will want to go to the kids club asap, not sit with us at a longer dinner.
  • I like seafood and steak, and the specialty menu items look better for my personal tastes.
  • Illusionarium on the 1st night being included (on the Getaway) will offset the cost of the UDP.
  • The UDP allows more than 1 restaurant a night. Perfect for me. I don't like huge meals. So we can have appetizer and entree for our early dinner. Then go to a different specialty later around 9:30pm maybe for dessert and coffee. Or a late night appetizer while we look over the waterfront and talk.

Edited by SeaWatcher65

Thank you all for your comments.

We will probably try one specialty restaurant and hopefully will not get hooked on the experience :rolleyes:

Since the OP last posted on this thread a month ago...

We should just let them try a specialty restaurant, and hopefully will not get hooked on the experience :rolleyes:

Edited by $hip$hape

Last time we went on NCL we ended up in the MDR once. Went to the specialties for a few days, then the MDR. Wasn't impressed. I felt like the free style dining meant that you got an understaffed dining room and lost the whole personal touch of your waiter learning your preferences over the cruise. Food was okay, but its all in what you're used to. If you dine at places like Chilies or applebee's it might be just what you expected. Its not *bad* per se. Its just not good. So back to the specialty places where you get more attentive staff and a better fare.

As I mentioned, prior to my cruise, I had read a lot of posts here and also reviews that caused me to have serious concerns about the quality of the food in the MDR's in general these days, and on Norwegian specifically.

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised to find the quality quite good and no need to spend extra $$$ on specialty restaurants. We pay enough for the cruise experience, no need to put out extra dollars for something not really needed or wanted. For my wife & I, while we certainly want to enjoy our food, eating is not the be all/end all. A good tasty meal, a nice environment, is all that's needed. And both of the Sun's MDR's provided this nicely.

My experience on a recent sailing on the breakaway was that the complimentary meals were pretty good.

the service for the MDR was a touch slow but the show/entertainment easily made up for it.

but the two other complimentary dining rooms during lunch time were spot on.

the waitress remembered my previous ask and brought me out an extra plate of what i asked for without me asking!!! that was both excellent service and a great surprise.

i found food wise, lunch was better than dinner

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

• 3 weeks later...
The MDR's are just fine in my opinion. That is where we eat most of the time but will splurge for a specialty at least once or twice.

Mdr's are fine, they're really good, but the difference is the for fee restaurants are excellent.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

New to NCL and I am just wondering why most people go to the Specialty Restaurants.

Is the food and service not good in the inclusive restaurants? Why spend the extra $$ if you don't have to? What would I be missing if I don't go to them?

MDR is fine. Speciality restaurants are superlative.

Last time we went on NCL we ended up in the MDR once. Went to the specialties for a few days, then the MDR. Wasn't impressed. I felt like the free style dining meant that you got an understaffed dining room and lost the whole personal touch of your waiter learning your preferences over the cruise. Food was okay, but its all in what you're used to. If you dine at places like Chilies or applebee's it might be just what you expected. Its not *bad* per se. Its just not good. So back to the specialty places where you get more attentive staff and a better fare.

This is the PRIMARY reason I like Freestyle. There's ZERO chance some waiter is going to pre-judge what I might want on a particular evening.

Hell, my partner of 21 years doesn't know!

In fact, I'd HATE that a waiter assumed that I want today, what I wanted yesterday. What am I, a cat? I don't want the same thing every day. Just because I wanted Iced Tea yesterday, doesn't mean I don't want a mojito today.

The idea that they can expedite dinner by pre-supposing my wishes, is really anathema to my way of living. It's one of the reasons I love NCL so much.

Stephen

This is the PRIMARY reason I like Freestyle. There's ZERO chance some waiter is going to pre-judge what I might want on a particular evening.

In fact, I'd HATE that a waiter assumed that I want today, what I wanted yesterday. What am I, a cat? I don't want the same thing every day. Just because I wanted Iced Tea yesterday, doesn't mean I don't want a mojito today.

The idea that they can expedite dinner by pre-supposing my wishes, is really anathema to my way of living. It's one of the reasons I love NCL so much.

Stephen

I didn't know that traditional dining meant the waiter didn't hand you a menu and that he just brought you what he feels you should eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stephen

Pretty much summed up what I didn't like about Splendor's MDR waitstaff that I had - Don't assume that because I'm fat, I want more food; if I'm telling you "No' then respect my answer that I don't want any more food. Stop asking me after the plates for the appetizer and entree have been cleared if I want a second helping of those; "no' but you bring me the dessert menu and I will tell what I want for the 3rd course. It was very annoying on top of already tense issue with table-mates (if it wasn't for the ocean waves, all one could hear at that table was dead silence) Believe me when I say I will not mind having a table for one for myself and it will be way more entertaining than that mess......

Just off the Gem from last week. There was a total of four adults, we had made reservations on line the week before the cruise for Cagneys. First I should say I do not like steak, salmon or lamb, but I am a dessert person. Ours friend ate steak and said it was good. Hubby and I ate shrimp also good. When it came to dessert the raspberry crème brulee was horrible so I order the oreo cheesecake, one bite and I wanted to vomit. Extremely disappointed. Not to mention we went on the first night, 6pm, the place was nearly empty and they sat us in the next to the kitchen and where they rang up the tabs. The beef is only angus not prime. I serve only angus in my home. No biggie. Waste of money for us. Our friends tried La Bistro it took three hours for the meal and service was bad and they weren't too impressed with the food. Went to the dining room a few times, found something we liked each time. Service was quick. I won't say food in MDR is bad, we just didn't care for most stuff. Please don't hesitate to go to the MDR, I am sure you will enjoy.

Stephen

This. Exactly. I realize there are others who are very regimented in how they like to eat...same time, same place, same pre-dinner drink, etc. That's not for me, which is why Freestyle is so great!

I've done restaurant reviews for three publications, am rather picky, and was conditioned to expect a sub-par performance in the MDR. Instead, I found the food in the MDR quite good, the service uniformly excellent, and the ambiance in the Tropicana Room (Getaway) a delight, especially with the Cuba-inspired music. One night, I decided to order a steak (rare), just to see what I would get. It was as good as any I've had in several years. While the menu isn't as finessed as it once was, good items are available at every meal. We also tried the specialty restaurants, which were quite nice too, especially Le Bistro. The decor in Taste and Savor was rather chic.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

IMO, the food and service in NCL MDRs is not good. For our upcoming cruise we've bought the UDP and factored that into the price of the cruise. No dinners in the MDR. The steakhouse is a solid steakhouse, not outstanding, but good, and the French restaurant is very good (great duck confit!). The Brazilian place is good, the Italian terrible. The Asian deeply meh.

I wonder what people who like NCL MDR dinners normally eat at home! Dominoes Pizza and McDonald's and Applebees ?!

Just off the Gem from last week. There was a total of four adults, we had made reservations on line the week before the cruise for Cagneys. First I should say I do not like steak, salmon or lamb, but I am a dessert person. Ours friend ate steak and said it was good. Hubby and I ate shrimp also good. When it came to dessert the raspberry crème brulee was horrible so I order the oreo cheesecake, one bite and I wanted to vomit. Extremely disappointed. Not to mention we went on the first night, 6pm, the place was nearly empty and they sat us in the next to the kitchen and where they rang up the tabs. The beef is only angus not prime. I serve only angus in my home. No biggie. Waste of money for us. Our friends tried La Bistro it took three hours for the meal and service was bad and they weren't too impressed with the food. Went to the dining room a few times, found something we liked each time. Service was quick. I won't say food in MDR is bad, we just didn't care for most stuff. Please don't hesitate to go to the MDR, I am sure you will enjoy.

"Angus" is pure marketing BS. Ask a butcher what it means - in the US it means the cow was more than 50% black in color, that is all. Nothing to do with the Angus breed, other than real Angus cattle also happen to be black. Seriously, ask a butcher :)

In the MDR the food quality has gone down, but what bothers me most in the MDR is the slow service.

On my past two NCL cruises I ate in the buffet. The food and soups are very good. The hunt for a table is hard, because so many people want to eat between 5:30 and 6:00 in order to get to the theater early to get good seats.