Paris family hotel help

Don't ask me why, but I have decided to take my family (DW, 2 sons and myself) to Paris for 4nights/3days before our cruise out of Harwich on the Jewel of the Seas.

The plan is to fly into Heathrow the morning of the July 12th. Then take the Eurostar over to Paris. Enjoy Paris. Then make our way Harwich. Cruise leaves the afternoon of July 16th.

I am having trouble finding a hotel good for the family. Should we stay near the Eurostar train area and does it have good access to the ugly tourist sites in Paris.

I would like to keep the hotel expense below $ 500.00 U.S. per night.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated

I would NOT stay in the Gare du Nord area if I were you. It's not close enough to anything to make it worth while.

You might consider an apartment rental, the Hotel Relais Bousquet, which is a prime area near the Eiffel Tower, has apartments they rent out in addition to their hotel. Easily under $500 a night.

Another option I've heard of, but haven't tried is Pad-a-Terre Paris rental apartments, they sometimes have good deals and places in good neighborhoods.

Just google either of these for more info...Hope it helps.

I would NOT stay in the Gare du Nord area if I were you. It's not close enough to anything to make it worth while.

You might consider an apartment rental, the Hotel Relais Bousquet, which is a prime area near the Eiffel Tower, has apartments they rent out in addition to their hotel. Easily under $500 a night.

Another option I've heard of, but haven't tried is Pad-a-Terre Paris rental apartments, they sometimes have good deals and places in good neighborhoods.

Many thanks for the info.

Scott

Hi Scott, My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Familia last summer. It is nice and in a good location, walking distance to many of the great sites of Paris, including just a few blocks to Notre Dame, the Marais district, an on the edge of St. Germaine area--and just a block or so from a metro stop that goes to Gare du Nord. It is not a luxury hotel but very clean, friendly and they have family suites--breakfast is included. My son and his new wife also stayed there, last spring for part of their honeymoon.

Here is a link: http://www.familiahotel.com/

We took our two teens to Paris several years ago and they loved it, and tell us it was one of our best vacations ever. Bon voyage!

PS Scott, I just noticed your are going on Jewel of the Seas...would that be the Baltic Cruise?? Fantastic, we sailed on the Jewel summer of 2005 for the Baltic cruise and loved it. The itinerary was great. You probably have some tours for St. Petersburg lined up, but if not, I can make a recommendation. We went on a private tour and it was really interesting--got to choose exactly what we wanted to see and no waiting in any lines. Our guide was a 20something Russian lady that spoke excellent English. Anyway, the mention of the Jewel brought back great memories...sorry to run on!

PS Scott, I just noticed your are going on Jewel of the Seas...would that be the Baltic Cruise?? Fantastic, we sailed on the Jewel summer of 2005 for the Baltic cruise and loved it. The itinerary was great. You probably have some tours for St. Petersburg lined up, but if not, I can make a recommendation. We went on a private tour and it was really interesting--got to choose exactly what we wanted to see and no waiting in any lines. Our guide was a 20something Russian lady that spoke excellent English. Anyway, the mention of the Jewel brought back great memories...sorry to run on!

Can you send me the info on the private tours company you hired?

many thanks

Hi Scott, My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Familia last summer. It is nice and in a good location, walking distance to many of the great sites of Paris, including just a few blocks to Notre Dame, the Marais district, an on the edge of St. Germaine area--and just a block or so from a metro stop that goes to Gare du Nord. It is not a luxury hotel but very clean, friendly and they have family suites--breakfast is included. My son and his new wife also stayed there, last spring for part of their honeymoon.

We took our two teens to Paris several years ago and they loved it, and tell us it was one of our best vacations ever. Bon voyage!

Many thanks for this info.

I am going to check it out.

Scott

My son and I were in Paris this past summer and stayed at the hotel Garden Elysee which was very nice and reasonably priced (we paid about $ 200 per night). Our room was a standard room and was a good size. They also have suites there.

It was in a very good location for walking. We walked easily to the Eiffel Tower, the Arc D Triumphe and the Champs Elysee. Never needed a taxi once we got to the hotel.

We walked to the hop-on-hop-off bus (about a five minute walk) and used this to circumnavigate the city. I have heard that people enjoy the Batobus but I personally thought you see more of the city via the hoho bus.

Don't ask me why, but I have decided to take my family (DW, 2 sons and myself) to Paris for 4nights/3days before our cruise out of Harwich on the Jewel of the Seas. The plan is to fly into Heathrow the morning of the July 12th. Then take the Eurostar over to Paris. Enjoy Paris. Then make our way Harwich. Cruise leaves the afternoon of July 16th. I am having trouble finding a hotel good for the family. Should we stay near the Eurostar train area and does it have good access to the ugly tourist sites in Paris. I would like to keep the hotel expense below $ 500.00 U.S. per night.

I would also check with http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe. This "vacation rental by owner" site has a number of apartment and larger options. Some are weekly rentals, but many have options for three or four nights. I would stay in a more charming areas such as the Marais or Left Bank. Some hotels are very cramped in space and in areas that are more "commercial". You need to enjoy Paris by staying in the areas with more "character". That way you get more of the feel for why Paris is so special. $500 a night is a decent budget level and you will like the apartment room and comfort. You can also check http://www.chezvous.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I would also check with www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe. This "vacation rental by owner" site has a number of apartment and larger options. Some are weekly rentals, but many have options for three or four nights. I would stay in a more charming areas such as the Marais or Left Bank. Some hotels are very cramped in space and in areas that are more "commercial". You need to enjoy Paris by staying in the areas with more "character". That way you get more of the feel for why Paris is so special. $500 a night is a decent budget level and you will like the apartment room and comfort. You can also check www.chezvous.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Terry,

Thank you for the information.

Scott

Check out the Best Western properties in Paris , especially the "Premier" ones. They are not chain hotels , they each have their own personality.

Hilton Arc de Triumphe(sp?) has rooms that accomadate up to 4 people-nice art deco style hotel.Less than $500 a night and well-located.

Kim

We booked a 2 day tour of St. Petersburg with DenRus. Our particular tour guide's name was Oksana Bezbabnykh. Here is their web link: http://www.denrus.ru/

If you search CruiseCritic boards, you will probably find lots of discussion and info. The other popular tour company for St. Petersburg is RedOctober.

I do not recall the total price, it was more expensive but we saw so much more than the ship organized tours. They meet you at the pier when you get off the ship and handle all the arrangements--you do not need to get your own visa.

Day One we toured: The Hermitage, lunch at a typical local restaurant, Russian Artillery museum, Russian Naval museum (would skip this if doing again), visited Cruiser Aurora, in addition to stopping at the old city market where many everyday Russian's shop (this was very interesting) and a driving tour/description of sights along the way, stopped in during a service at Church of St. Nicholas. Returned to ship NOTE-my husband is a real military history enthusiast, the reason for so many "military" sites on our tour!

Day Two: Drive to Peterhof and grand tour of palace, fountains and garden; return to the city for lunch, toured Russian State museum, visited Church of the Resurrection (aka Church of the Spilt Blood). Also at the end of the day private visit to a very nice souvenir shop with vodka tasting.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't ask me why, but I have decided to take my family (DW, 2 sons and myself) to Paris for 4nights/3days before our cruise out of Harwich on the Jewel of the Seas.

The plan is to fly into Heathrow the morning of the July 12th. Then take the Eurostar over to Paris. Enjoy Paris. Then make our way Harwich. Cruise leaves the afternoon of July 16th.

I am having trouble finding a hotel good for the family. Should we stay near the Eurostar train area and does it have good access to the ugly tourist sites in Paris.

I would like to keep the hotel expense below $ 500.00 U.S. per night.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated

Scott,

We went to Paris last year with our granddaughter and stayed at the Best Western Hotel Louvre Piemont (22, Rue De Richelieu FR Paris, FR 75001 - Phone 33 1 42 96 44 50). The hotel is located in the heart of historical Paris and just steps away from the Louvre Museum and the Tuileries Gardens. Several of the rooms will accommodate three people. It is a very small, three story hotel, with about 12 rooms that have recently been renovated with new marble bathrooms, etc.

We were there shortly before Bastille Day and had a hard time finding hotel rooms. This hotel was almost a last resort, but it turned out to be a nice little hotel in a great location. We were very pleased with cleanliness of the rooms the service from the people at the front desk. The people at the desk speak perfect English and are very friendly and accommodating.

The Metro station Palais Royal Musee du Louvre is located about about two blocks from the hotel. You can book the hotel though the Best Western website.

Click on the link below for information on viewing videos of our visit to Paris that have been posted on Youtube. Look for the Katie In Paris series. There is six short sightseeing videos of Paris.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Enjoy your visit in my favorite city.

Cruzer Two

spacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gif

Suitehotel Paris, part of Accord Hotels group. We booked a suite for an upcoming post cruise stay. Near station and bus stop, very reasonable rates. Nice newer hotel, has good reviews at Tripadviser. We decided to give it a try.

http://www.suitehotel.com/gb/hotel-4983-suitehotel-paris-porte-de-la-chapelle/index.shtml

Would really like to know how your stay goes at this property.

Sounds nice.

Scott

• 1 month later...

I am spending 1 night Paris coming in by train to Gare du Nord leavinf CDG next day --been to Paris before, only hope to squeeze in Sacre Couer, are hotels near Gare Du Nord ok for this purpose? Am looking at Merryl And info? Thanks!!! you can email: travelgramtx at yahoo dot com

Make that another vote for the Familia, they have some larger rooms for triples and quads that will actually fit 3 or 4 (rare in Europe)

My daughter and 2 friends stayed there and felt safe etc.

Archived