St Petersburg Private Tour Pricing

Bollinge

Hi,

Did you go on a two-day private tour in St. Petersburg in the last year with the usual suspects; Denrus, Red October, Alla, SPB, etc.?

How much did you eventually pay in Roubles on your credit card?

The rouble is on the way to be half what it was at the start of this year against the dollar. I wonder if the dollar price has dropped likewise.

Many thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Check with smaller companies who do not advertise as much, you will probably find their prices are based on Rubles. Several are offering the same tours as the once promoted on Cruise Critic for a lot less. Private tour are going to be more expensive than a 12-15 member group tour unless there are at least 8 people but even with only two, it ought to be around 14,000 rubles based on last year at 31.5 rubles per dollar, and today at 67 Rubles per dollar the dollar amount should being the dollar price down to $208/person for a party of two, tickets, guide and vehicle plus driver.

The companies spending $20,000 a month on advertising get more business as a result even though most of them have not been around very long or have any better tours and any of the others. They are gambling that no one will question the doubling of price, and they are probably right.

Thank you for great reply, SPBstan. I researched 2 day tours on SPB and all companies that are mentioned on Tripadvisor or Cruisecritic have the same price (Alla tours, SPB, Red October, DenRus, etc.) . It did not go up since last year, but it did not go down. The explanation – tour agencies provide blank visa for cruise guests that included in the price. Majority of museums has double pricing – for foreigners and for locals - that did not change from last year. There is now way that we can get quote in rubles – only dollars. If you know the tour agencies that provide blanket visa, excellent service and quote in rubles – please let us know.

Just a comment on what Stan has said. YES, you may get a better price with a 'smaller' tour company, but you also may not have a tour company when you arrive. There is plenty of business to go around, but over the years I have heard of several of the 'smaller' companies, not doing things the 'correct' way, some even folding up without any notice. Sure, I'm not saying this will happen, but it has.

Maybe I'm a bit anal, but if I am taking a one in a lifetime cruise, I want the best company to service me, even if it costs a few dollars more. I want to know when I arrive, they will be there, they have been around and know all the ropes, the tricks, the special things that make the entire experience, the best possible.

There are always small companies looking for new business, to get started, so they undercut the price. If you are a gambler, take your chance with them. Ourselves, I would rather go with some one who has a reliable track record, even if it costs a bit more. why worry over nothing.

Cheers

Len

Len, can you give an example of a smaller experienced company which did not show up or went out of business suddenly? I can't and know every one other 130 companies serving the port.

The only problems heard about in the last two years has been larger companies selling tours, knowing they did not have access to all the tickets they needed, and just skipped such places as Catherine Palace and had the guides tell hundreds of people that it was closed that day. That happened to SPb Tours customers a number of times last year. Or the many times Meteor Hydrofoil trips to or from Peterhof was not conducted when it was available but they just did not get tickets, some passengers had to pay an extra 500 rubles, again hundreds, or not be able to go. Small companies with more experience never do that. Remember the big companies, except Red October and DenRus who really started the independent tour concept in St Petersburg, are mostly pretty new with less experience than many smaller companies. The difference is advertising budget and profit calculations. Red October has lost market share by not advertising as much and DenRus was sold and is now a completely Russian owned company by a rich investor who put in place a very inexperienced staff and got rid of all the people who grew the company. The new manager has absolutely no experience or interest tourism, and staff are completely new also. So ad budgets have no reflection on quality or attention to detail, value or safety.

The point is, every one seems to prefer the company they choose, but have no experience of any others. So those who choose smaller more personal companies like them just as much but also don't have anything to compare with. If you really compare, the larger companies generally make their wider margins by cutting back on features. Such as one long experienced companies features 5-star hotel lunches and one of the big advertising companies cut out hot lunches and serve a cold box lunch of a piece of pie, , an apple and a bottle of water while riding in the bus/van. Same price although the cost to the tour company is $50 more that served better lunches. Another of the big ones is promoting a easy tour that simply drops all but 4 entrances but sells the tour for as much as some companies sells for 8 museums and palaces. You will not find the smaller companies doing that cost cutting.

Sometimes the higher priced brands are worse value, when profit margins approach that of the ship sold tours. The ships retain 50-80% of the selling price as sale commission. The big companies seem to be pushing for 50% themselves but this summer they are planning on 70% profit margin or more. That is why I spoke up, and why I think it is gouging. You apparently think that is fine. You would speak up also however if your gas station charged $4.40/gal when others were charging at the same profit margin as before when oil as $106/barrel, on $60/barrel current price. One poster said was just good business to charge as high as someone is willing to pay. He and you agree. It is another story if one supplier gives more value for their price but that is not the case here, in fact in a number of ways they give lower value but know no one will notice because they do not compare in an informed way.

Spbstan, very interesting write up. You are there so you see more than we do from afar.

My question would be this. If the case you present is true, and I have no reason to not believe you, how would one find one of these great small tour companies that we can feel confident will do all this? When we research SPB tours, there are a top few who show up. We then research reviews that are independent to make our decisions based on the information we can find.

Len, can you give an example of a smaller experienced company which did not show up or went out of business suddenly? I can't and know every one other 130 companies serving the port.

The only problems heard about in the last two years has been larger companies selling tours, knowing they did not have access to all the tickets they needed, and just skipped such places as Catherine Palace and had the guides tell hundreds of people that it was closed that day. That happened to SPb Tours customers a number of times last year. Or the many times Meteor Hydrofoil trips to or from Peterhof was not conducted when it was available but they just did not get tickets, some passengers had to pay an extra 500 rubles, again hundreds, or not be able to go. Small companies with more experience never do that. Remember the big companies, except Red October and DenRus who really started the independent tour concept in St Petersburg, are mostly pretty new with less experience than many smaller companies. The difference is advertising budget and profit calculations. Red October has lost market share by not advertising as much and DenRus was sold and is now a completely Russian owned company by a rich investor who put in place a very inexperienced staff and got rid of all the people who grew the company. The new manager has absolutely no experience or interest tourism, and staff are completely new also. So ad budgets have no reflection on quality or attention to detail, value or safety.

The point is, every one seems to prefer the company they choose, but have no experience of any others. So those who choose smaller more personal companies like them just as much but also don't have anything to compare with. If you really compare, the larger companies generally make their wider margins by cutting back on features. Such as one long experienced companies features 5-star hotel lunches and one of the big advertising companies cut out hot lunches and serve a cold box lunch of a piece of pie, , an apple and a bottle of water while riding in the bus/van. Same price although the cost to the tour company is $50 more that served better lunches. Another of the big ones is promoting a easy tour that simply drops all but 4 entrances but sells the tour for as much as some companies sells for 8 museums and palaces. You will not find the smaller companies doing that cost cutting.

Sometimes the higher priced brands are worse value, when profit margins approach that of the ship sold tours. The ships retain 50-80% of the selling price as sale commission. The big companies seem to be pushing for 50% themselves but this summer they are planning on 70% profit margin or more. That is why I spoke up, and why I think it is gouging. You apparently think that is fine. You would speak up also however if your gas station charged $4.40/gal when others were charging at the same profit margin as before when oil as $106/barrel, on $60/barrel current price. One poster said was just good business to charge as high as someone is willing to pay. He and you agree. It is another story if one supplier gives more value for their price but that is not the case here, in fact in a number of ways they give lower value but know no one will notice because they do not compare in an informed way.

Stan

Obviously you are there and I am here, but being on this board for many years, I have heard stories of people booking tours with people no one has ever heard of (CC and/or Trip Advisor) and then no one ever showed up to meet them at the port. Names, I cannot give you, but why would people lie about it? And please don't tell me it couldn't happen. If a company is well known and they have an excellent reputation, why would I go with some company that isn't even rated anywhere, just to save a few dollars? These companies want and need your recommendation and will bend over backwards to assure you have a marvelous time in St Petersburg. Your recommendation is their livelihood. I understand your point and I am not pushing anyone to use any particular company, but reading these boards, very rarely do we get a report that anyone had a bad time when using these companies> Why take a chance on companies no one has ever heard of, except you, and several others, when we know what we are getting by using a major player. Again, I understand your point, but for me, anyway, I would not chance it. I want to know what I am getting for my money and rest assured I WILL have the time of my life. And because so many others have used these companies I can sleep well at night knowing I made the right choice. Not worry whether or not some one will be there to meet me.

Plus your example is not a good one. If I wanted to buy a car, a TV, a tablet, would I run and buy the cheapest one I could find, where there are NO reviews on this item, no one saying that it is good or bad, or even working when I get it. Sure some may find a lower price attractive, but I want one that many people have tried and recommend very highly even if it costs a few dollars more. Would you buy a Ford TV? Do they even make TV's? And if they did how do you know it is any good? Just because some one I don't know says that they are good? Sorry, but that's not for me. I want a TV made by some one who will stand behind their product and one that thousands of others have used and recommend very highly. That way I know I am getting my monies worth. Even if the cheaper TV was good, I have no way of knowing that except for the cheaper price.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.

Cheers

Len

Thank you for great reply, SPBstan. I researched 2 day tours on SPB and all companies that are mentioned on Tripadvisor or Cruisecritic have the same price (Alla tours, SPB, Red October, DenRus, etc.) . It did not go up since last year, but it did not go down. The explanation – tour agencies provide blank visa for cruise guests that included in the price. Majority of museums has double pricing – for foreigners and for locals - that did not change from last year. There is now way that we can get quote in rubles – only dollars. If you know the tour agencies that provide blanket visa, excellent service and quote in rubles – please let us know.

We went on SPB Tours in St Petersburg and thought they were fantastic. When you use a tour company there you have Visa for when you are with them. You have to stay with them when off of the ship. They showed us so much, all fees were included in ou price. They took care of us as if we were family. They told us this, best tour we have ever had.

We went on SPB Tours in St Petersburg and thought they were fantastic.

Yes, I am sure they are, but if their costs have by decreased by half due to currency fluctuations, why are they still charging top dollar for their tours?

I want a quote, and to pay in Roubles! I'll take the risk of exchange rate changes, as others did last week when the Swiss Franc went up by 30% against the euro in one day.......

please let us know if you find a reliable tour company that will quote you in Roubles. I haven't had any success there. My guess....they know what they are doing and we are either willing to pay or not. That said, would love to hear from you if you find a winner!!!

SPBStan - I'm willing to go with a smaller company because I'm having trouble getting the larger companies to see what I'd like to see, rather than saving dollars or rubles. I'm interested in seeing Alexander Nevsky monastery, Smolny Convent, Church of the Dormition, and hopefully hearing choral church music somewhere along the way. Would love to hear the Optina choir for example. I'd like to learn from our guide about Russian Orthodoxy. None of the main tour companies seem willing to do this. Would you have any suggestions on smaller agencies who might be willing to do something like this? I don't care whether it's dollars or rubles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found out that the cruise lines pay around $55 per person per day for an eight-seater private a/c van with guide and driver for St Petersburg tours, including admissions.

Evening trips, such as to the ballet cost the cruise lines $15 per person for an eight-seater van, plus theatre admission tickets.

And I note that they sell a two day tour, plus evening theatre excursion for around $500..........

That's capitalism!

Edited by Bollinge

The only problems heard about in the last two years has been larger companies selling tours, knowing they did not have access to all the tickets they needed, and just skipped such places as Catherine Palace and had the guides tell hundreds of people that it was closed that day. That happened to SPb Tours customers a number of times last year. Or the many times Meteor Hydrofoil trips to or from Peterhof was not conducted when it was available but they just did not get tickets, some passengers had to pay an extra 500 rubles, again hundreds, or not be able to go.

We're going to be in St Petes end May and have tied up with SPB Tours, so your post gave me a bit of a fright. Did you mean SPB Tours skipped Catherine Palace and some of the others places or did you mean some operators in St Petersburg? We have a big group from our RC, so switching to someone else at this point is going to be hard, how do you suggest I go about ensuring we see all the sites, or at trying to ensure we do? Thanks for your suggestions and comments:)

Id4Elizabeth - have found the same thing as you - tour operators have their set schedules - each with slightly different twist - but none that I can find with ANY flexibility in their schedules......would love to hear if you find any....dollars or Rubles....and dollars are the only quoted pricing....

We're going to be in St Petes end May and have tied up with SPB Tours, so your post gave me a bit of a fright. Did you mean SPB Tours skipped Catherine Palace and some of the others places or did you mean some operators in St Petersburg? We have a big group from our RC, so switching to someone else at this point is going to be hard, how do you suggest I go about ensuring we see all the sites, or at trying to ensure we do? Thanks for your suggestions and comments:)

Did you check the tour itinerary when you booked the tour? If it says you will see Catherine's Palace, then you WILL see Catherine's Palace. That is one of the major highlites of each tour and there is no way it would be skipped if the itinerary says you will see it.

I am not positive, but since Catherine's Palace is one of the main attractions I would think just about every 2 day tour would go there. Unless something dramatic happens on the road or at the Palace, I see no reason why it would be excluded if you were promised to see it.

Cheers

Len

Did you check the tour itinerary when you booked the tour? If it says you will see Catherine's Palace, then you WILL see Catherine's Palace. That is one of the major highlites of each tour and there is no way it would be skipped if the itinerary says you will see it.

I am not positive, but since Catherine's Palace is one of the main attractions I would think just about every 2 day tour would go there. Unless something dramatic happens on the road or at the Palace, I see no reason why it would be excluded if you were promised to see it.

Cheers

Len

Len, the itinerary does include Catherine Palace and the Amber Room, what got me worried was spbstan's comment that some operators skipped the palace claiming it was closed. I've heard only good reports for SPB Tours and hope they would not put their reputation at risk bu resorting to such money-saving tactics.