Ketchikan Excursions

Rambler5678

you don't indicate how long you're in port, your interests, physical ability, and if there are children in your party.

Your cruiseline will have MANY options for you to look at..... was there nothing of interest there ? Is there something of interest but you want an independent vendor ?

Look at past trip reports to get ideas. Look at the town web site and download the Visitor Guide.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

http://visit-ketchikan.com/

Family of four, kids 7 and 14. Like wildlife, shopping etc. Going gold mining, Salman lunch, gold mining, whale watching in other ports. In port from 11 am to 7 pm. We have seen a lumberjack show so wouldn't be interested in that.

My favorites in Ketchikan are the hike and crab feast, Deadliest Catch tour, boat trip to Misty Fjords, Saxman native village, and fishing trips. It is also a good port to walk around in. There's a free shuttle that goes to the cruise ship berths and up to the totem pole museum and then south to the Safeway mall. There's also a shuttle out to the Walmart used mostly by ships crew and people desperate for diet Dr. Pepper or whatever items they forgot to pack. I drop about $100 every summer on Ray Troll fish and fossil shirts at his gallery on Creek Street and spend more than I should (and eat more than I should) at Ketchicandies (chocolate covered oreos, truffles, etc.)

Last time we were there I got some beautiful earrings at one of the small shops that run sideways from the Main Street. There are several little streets with lots of little shops side by side in them, this one was mostly jewelry. It seemed slightly more high-end then some other shops and it was September so she was heavily discounting everything. I got a pair of wolf earrings with a tribal print and a copper pair of whale tails earrings that were engraved with a pattern on them. They were beautiful. I wear them constantly still and they are in great shape. They had a little bio in their box about the artist. I always take things like that with a grain of salt, anybody can put artist information in anything. However these do seem authentic. I think I paid about $40 a pair. I do think that if I buy any more jewelry this year it will be in Ketchikan.

We did the duck tour which was fun and pretty affordable and your kids might think it's fun to go from Land into the water on the same vehicle. It didn't take too long and it took us around the city two or three times. It made us want to explore Parts on our own that we saw while on the duck tour. So we went out on our own when we got back. Then we got lunch right by the pier at one of those highly recommended fried halibut places. It was okay. And then we did souvenir shopping. It was September so everybody was just blowing out everything! Ketchikan has one of those giant Alaska souvenir stores. We got quite a few things there. Of course everything is made in China but it always is. We were there from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and people were still lining up to get on the ship at 11:40. It wasn't enough time for that port.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Have you considered snorkeling? The kids might really enjoy that. As excursions go, it's not that expensive, and snorkeling in Alaska is totally different from warm water places. The kelp forest is interesting and you see plenty of different colorful star fish. The guides are great. You wear a 7mm wet suit with hood, booties, and gloves, so you are warm in the water. I think you can book independently, although we did it through the ship.

Have you considered snorkeling? The kids might really enjoy that. As excursions go, it's not that expensive, and snorkeling in Alaska is totally different from warm water places. The kelp forest is interesting and you see plenty of different colorful star fish. The guides are great. You wear a 7mm wet suit with hood, booties, and gloves, so you are warm in the water. I think you can book independently, although we did it through the ship.

RSF Cruiser

We are considering the snorkeling excursion, but are concerned about water temperature in May. What time of the year did you do this? 60 degree water in August with a wet suit is fine, but I'm not sure about May when temps may be 40s- low 50s.

RSF Cruiser

We are considering the snorkeling excursion, but are concerned about water temperature in May. What time of the year did you do this? 60 degree water in August with a wet suit is fine, but I'm not sure about May when temps may be 40s- low 50s.

I was there the beginning of August. I don't remember the water or air temperatures, although it was raining a bit and the sky was grey, so it must have been cool. What I do remember is how hot I was once I had the wet suit on and before I got in the water. The only part of me exposed was a small portion of my face. I couldn't wait to get in the water to cool off! The wet suit is thick enough I don't think the May temperatures will be a problem.

I'll be there in May. After looking at the excursions I thought that there was nothing that really stood out so have decided just to enjoy the town itself. With a little research you should be able to find lots to do.

Exactly my plan. We are always so anxious to get off boat and head off we often forget the small towns we dock in. We are in port at 6:30 am til 1:00. Plenty of time to visit small shops in town.