Melia or HIlton Day Pass with small kids

traveler1980

After reviewing options, I think we are leaning towards a day pass at either the Hilton or Melia. Our boys are 4 and 7. All they really care about is being on a beach. Doesn't take much to entertain them! They may also enjoy just getting to be in a pool as well. Which of these do you think would be good for a family?

I had also looked into Blue Lagoon Island, but looks like everything there costs extra after paying the original price for the day and could end up being pretty pricey. I also saw our youngest son isn't old enough to be with the dolphins so kinda figured we might want to do that kind of activity for another trip. Let me know though if you really think this would be a better option.

The convenience of walking to the Hilton and being right there seems like a plus to me right now!

yes for small kids the British Colonial Hilton is fine and the food voucher just to let you know will only cover like the burger (which was really great) and i think it came with fries and i had a daiquiri with it. the selections end up being like $22 or something like that and the drinks another $10 plus they add tax and then with the tip- you are done but that said, the food was great and the beach is really nice and it has a really nice pool also. The kids will have fun and you will be able to relax. It is never very busy at that beach. A very easy walk. I have been to Melia and personally it is my favorite with multiple pools, a great beach and just a beautiful resort but very pricey considering they do not offer the lunch option at the buffet anymore. You have to walk a few blocks to catch one of the little jitney buses but it drops you right in front of the resort and picks you up right across the street from it. Trust me when i say go with the easier- the British colonial Hilton with small children as they will not appreciate the ambience of the Melia as much as you and your husband would. And it is a bit pricier considering no food is included.

We went to The Hilton on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. There are servers on the beach and lunch is included. Water is calm so it's good for kids. The pool area is nice as well. They also give you a towel. Have not done the other resort but will probably go back to the Hilton again. I enjoyed being able to lounge on the beach and not be bothered by people selling stuff like at the free beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We went to The Hilton on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. There are servers on the beach and lunch is included. Water is calm so it's good for kids. The pool area is nice as well. They also give you a towel. Have not done the other resort but will probably go back to the Hilton again. I enjoyed being able to lounge on the beach and not be bothered by people selling stuff like at the free beach.

Hello,

Did you book the day pass in advance, or did you just show up? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Did you book the day pass in advance, or did you just show up? Thanks in advance.

We had not booked in advance but just showed up. But I think we got there early morning.

Hello,

Depending on the season, it's usually best to book in advance. Especially during spring break, easter and other holidays. In addition, on days there are weddings and other events, passes are sometimes unavailable.

I just emailed the Melia resort earlier this week and received a wonderful response. The representative provided the menus, maps and all of the activities, some included, some not. I think my husband and I are going to give it a go!

Our day passes can be purchased once you arrive on property at the front desk registration area from 9am - 5pm daily. They are not all-inclusive and cannot be purchased in advance. The cost is $45.00 per adult (age 12+) and $25.00 per child (age 2-11).

Please be advised that snorkeling (inclusive of snorkel, mask and fins), lounge chairs, pools, and use of towels are included in your day pass rate. All other water sports will be at an additional cost (see brochure attached).

Presently, we are offering a promotion on day passes, where the adults will receive a free Starbucks beverage with each adult day pass purchase.

DS and DIL will be in Nassau in 2 weeks. They were planning to stay on the ship-they have been to Nassau a few times and it's not their favorite port of call! I have heard of British Colonial Hilton and have seen it, but never been, so I suggested they might enjoy it. They like to have something to eat and a few drinks, BUT they will have their children, my grands, almost 8, 5 1/2 and 1 1/2. From a few of these responses they will probably enjoy it, but would love to have some other opinions. Also, does anyone know the prices now? The 5 1/2 yo and 1 1/.2 year old probably won't eat much. They will most likely just snitch some fries from the almost 8 year old's plate! :evilsmile: TIA for any info.

DS and DIL will be in Nassau in 2 weeks. They were planning to stay on the ship-they have been to Nassau a few times and it's not their favorite port of call! I have heard of British Colonial Hilton and have seen it, but never been, so I suggested they might enjoy it. They like to have something to eat and a few drinks, BUT they will have their children, my grands, almost 8, 5 1/2 and 1 1/2. From a few of these responses they will probably enjoy it, but would love to have some other opinions. Also, does anyone know the prices now? The 5 1/2 yo and 1 1/.2 year old probably won't eat much. They will most likely just snitch some fries from the almost 8 year old's plate! :evilsmile: TIA for any info.

Hilton Details from resellers site:

Hilton Day Pass

clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gif

Total Price: $65.00

Deposit Required: 17.00

Balance due to resort upon arrival: $48.00

btn_addtocart_small.gif

clear1x1.gif

Includes $40 Food & Beverage Credit! Located on the only private beach

in downtown Nassau - walking distance from the pier!

Children's price from $30. Children 5 and under play and eat FREE with paying adult meal!

Depending on the season, it's usually best to book in advance. Especially during spring break, easter and other holidays. In addition, on days there are weddings and other events, passes are sometimes unavailable.

Here are some current black out dates for the Hilton:

SOLD OUT: March 13, 16, 17, 19, 23, 27, 30, April 3, 5, 6, 13, 14, 20

The food and drink credit is for the whole family, not per person, so you pool all the credits and it's subtracted from your bill. A couple years ago, I got my kids the kids chicken tenders and then had a drink using their credit. Does that even make sense? Lol

Thanks for the replies. They will be in Nassau on 3/30 which is sold out according to Scubagirl, so we will scratch that off the list! I think they will just stay on the ship. It's the Anthem OTS so there will be plenty of things to do!!

• 2 weeks later...
I just emailed the Melia resort earlier this week and received a wonderful response. The representative provided the menus, maps and all of the activities, some included, some not. I think my husband and I are going to give it a go!

Our day passes can be purchased once you arrive on property at the front desk registration area from 9am - 5pm daily. They are not all-inclusive and cannot be purchased in advance. The cost is $45.00 per adult (age 12+) and $25.00 per child (age 2-11).

Please be advised that snorkeling (inclusive of snorkel, mask and fins), lounge chairs, pools, and use of towels are included in your day pass rate. All other water sports will be at an additional cost (see brochure attached).

Presently, we are offering a promotion on day passes, where the adults will receive a free Starbucks beverage with each adult day pass purchase.

Thank you for this info! Could you post the menus they sent you? I'm trying to decide between purchasing a Melia day passes for myself, my husband and our 3-year-old; or using my Marriott points to book a room at Atlantis for access to the aquarium, pools, water park, beach, etc. I will be in Nassau on 3/30 on the Anthem, too.

It's cheaper to book Atlantis (with the points, at least), but I'm not sure it won't be overwhelming for my son (he'll enjoy the aquarium, the pools and maaaybe the beach, but we won't use the slides at all). And I'm worried about the food costs in both locations, which could tip the scale significantly.

If anyone has an opinion on Melia vs. Atlantis, assuming the cost is the same, I'd love to hear it!

Thank you for this info! Could you post the menus they sent you? I'm trying to decide between purchasing a Melia day passes for myself, my husband and our 3-year-old; or using my Marriott points to book a room at Atlantis for access to the aquarium, pools, water park, beach, etc. I will be in Nassau on 3/30 on the Anthem, too.

It's cheaper to book Atlantis (with the points, at least), but I'm not sure it won't be overwhelming for my son (he'll enjoy the aquarium, the pools and maaaybe the beach, but we won't use the slides at all). And I'm worried about the food costs in both locations, which could tip the scale significantly.

If anyone has an opinion on Melia vs. Atlantis, assuming the cost is the same, I'd love to hear it!

I think food is more expensive at Atlantis, but both are very pricy (I paid $10 for a large bottle of water at Atlantis). If you have plenty of points, Atlantis is fine, but kind of a waste for a 3 year old - the first time we went, we took our 9 and 11 year olds, and left our 4 and 6 year olds on the ship with the grandparents. It's a huge property, the slides are the big draw.