Missing the Boat (On Purpose)

bignflfan

On my cruise around Italy this summer, I want to to get off the ship at Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy and drive/train to the next port at Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.

What's the protocol with the cruise line for doing this?

I'm guessing they will recommend not doing it...

On my cruise around Italy this summer, I want to to get off the ship at Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy and drive/train to the next port at Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy.

What's the protocol with the cruise line for doing this?

I'm guessing they will recommend not doing it...

Contact the cruise line. On Royal, you would have to get clearance ahead of time to do this.

Hello,

Looks like you are cruising with Celebrity...here is the info from their website:

Can I Join My Cruise After It Starts Or Disembark Before It Ends?

It depends on the specific itinerary of your cruise, your nationality, and various United States and foreign laws. Joining the cruise at one of its ports of call or leaving the cruise prior to its scheduled termination point may be prohibited by law. If you need to join late or leave early, or both, submit your request in advance and we will tell you whether your proposed changes will be permitted.

For more information, call 800-256-6649. There is a cut-off date for submitting this information, so make your request early. Please note that no refunds, prorated or otherwise, are granted to customers who join their cruise late or leave their cruise early. Certain governments impose fines or other charges when a guest permanently disembarks from a cruise before its final port of call. The guest will be responsible for those charges.

BBL

People do things like that all the time.

However, you really have to get permission in writing (e-mail is fine) in advance of your cruise from cruise line headquarters. Bring that confirmation with you and be sure to verify with the front office on the ship early in your cruise IF that permission is granted.

Keep in mind, it is always possible the ship could miss one or both of those ports for any number of reasons and you may or may not have advance notice.

Yes, contact the cruise line to get this idea coordinated.

If you don't coordinate, when you hand your cruise card to Security after you return, you will find out that it has been canceled and Security will not join you in joyful celebration for your return from your side trip.

Bob

If you get permission and you leave the ship, be sure to keep a copy of the permission with you when you try to return to the ship. Port security might not let you enter the dock area without that information.

Why would anyone do taht? Sos sorry but married an Italian and ride the trains all the time. Why not go early or catch a cruise out of Rome (CIVI), ride the trains for a week. Italians are famous for saying "We're on strike! " because it's a holiday they didn't get off. We had it happen to us when we wanted to go from Vienna to Rome on a Friday. NO TRAINS the ticket sell screamed at me!

Why would anyone do taht? Sos sorry but married an Italian and ride the trains all the time. Why not go early or catch a cruise out of Rome (CIVI), ride the trains for a week. Italians are famous for saying "We're on strike! " because it's a holiday they didn't get off. We had it happen to us when we wanted to go from Vienna to Rome on a Friday. NO TRAINS the ticket sell screamed at me!

You have an excellent point, what you describe happened to us on a visit to Italy

You may need to meet with the customs officials before you depart the ship. That happened to us in Tahiti. We had made reservations to stay in one of the "over-the-water" bungalows on the island of Moorea and had gotten permission from HAL corporate also. The morning we docked in Tahiti we were called down to one of the public rooms to meet with the government officials hw looked at our passports and our hotel reservations. He put a form in our passports and we were off. It was very easy to do in the end, but we had to do it.

Since we planned to stay on the island of Moorea we took the ferry over later the morning we docked in Tahiti and the next morning we saw our ship coming into the island of Moorea from our "over-the-water" bungalow's balcony. It was an amazing sight.

When we got back to the ship they took back our passports and the form.

Good luck if you deicide to do it and I hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by Hflors