First Time in Bermuda - Snorkel Recommendations

mdv31616

This is our first time in Bermuda. We are in our late 40's and enjoy snorkeling in the Caribbean. We have snorkeled from tours on Catamaran / Boats and also from the beach. I am not finding much regarding Sail or Power Boat tours in Bermuda that includes snorkeling. Any recommendations or info, including what to expect as far as water temp? We are on the Summit, May 11-18. Thanks.

This is our first time in Bermuda. We are in our late 40's and enjoy snorkeling in the Caribbean. We have snorkeled from tours on Catamaran / Boats and also from the beach. I am not finding much regarding Sail or Power Boat tours in Bermuda that includes snorkeling. Any recommendations or info, including what to expect as far as water temp? We are on the Summit, May 11-18. Thanks.

We like to snorkel at Tobacco Bay and Church Bay, however, CB tends to be rough and you need to be careful. Have you Google snorkeling in Bermuda? Some watersport sites should come up that do have snorkeling boat tours. I can't recommend any since I personally have not done one. I have heard people say they saw more fish at TB than on a tour but, of course, you mileage may vary. My friend who scuba dives said she saw fish at TB that she didn't see on her dives when we snorkled at TB. You need to get there early before too many people churn up the water, making it hard to see. The fish like to hide in all the rock formations so sometimes I just stay in one place and wait for them to come out.

Edited by iheartbda

Went on a snorkel tour 3 years ago with "Jessie James" tour. Chloe ( the owner and guide ) was really good with us.

The water temp. was ( late May ) 76f-78f...it was Bermuda day and the office of tourism was telling the water temp was 80f...Chloe was laughing and told us it was not that "hot" and she had a wet suit in her boat in case she would have to get in that "cold" water :eek:

For us, from Montreal, 76f-78f is a normal pool temperate in the summer without a heater...so we jumped in the water and enjoyed our snorkel.

Have fun !

• 3 months later...
We went on The Rising Son II Catamaran Sail & Snorkel last summer!

Loved every minute! Found them through Royal Caribbean, took us right out of Dockyard!:)

Do you remember what the name of your tour was? Royal Caribbean does not tell which tour operators/boat names they use in their descriptions :confused:

Thanks much!

Donna

Do you remember what the name of your tour was? Royal Caribbean does not tell which tour operators/boat names they use in their descriptions :confused:

Thanks much!

Donna

Found it on RC page under Shore Excursions

Ultimate Catamaran Swim, Sail & Snorkel - BK18

Board the Rising Son II Catamaran for a day of fun and variety. Snorkel, Kayak, Paddleboard, swim or just lounge. One complimentary beverage included and a cash bar is available during your return cruise. Participants must be competent swimmers. :)

We also would recommend Rising Son II.

Took their catamaran snorkel and swim through NCL July 10th. There wasn't a lot of fish, but it was still fun. They have the snorkel gear, kayaks, swim noodles and paddle boards.

Nice boat, nice crew.

Tell Steve he can stop looking for my travel mug. Found it later in my bag. Free rum swizzles on the way back.

You can also book through the little pink hut at the dockyard. $10 less than ship cost.

http://www.islandtourcentre.com

Have fun!!

P.S. You are going to fall in love with Bermuda :D

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

We also would recommend Rising Son II.

Took their catamaran snorkel and swim through NCL July 10th. There wasn't a lot of fish, but it was still fun. They have the snorkel gear, kayaks, swim noodles and paddle boards.

Nice boat, nice crew.

Tell Steve he can stop looking for my travel mug. Found it later in my bag. Free rum swizzles on the way back.

You can also book through the little pink hut at the dockyard. $10 less than ship cost.

http://www.islandtourcentre.com

Have fun!!

P.S. You are going to fall in love with Bermuda :D

~Robin

How many people were on your tour through the ship? I just booked through Island tour Centre and they said our tour is not ship sponsored so I was hoping they have less people.

Thanks!

Donna

How many people were on your tour through the ship? I just booked through Island tour Centre and they said our tour is not ship sponsored so I was hoping they have less people.

Thanks!

Donna

Hi Donna,

We were a group of 10 family members on the 10am excursion. We booked through NCL only because we wanted to ensure we were able to go together. My sister and her husband gave the excursion as Christmas presents to her family.

When i looked up the 10am excursion for that day on islandtourcenter.com about 3 weeks before our actual sailing, they showed only 5 spots left, and I didn't want to miss out, so I called NCL to book it.

I would say there were about 30 people on our cat trip, but there's no way to tell who booked through the ship and who didn't. I didn't ask anyone. We were met at the end of the Heritage Wharf pier where Breakaway was docked. The more people the merrier on this one!!!

I hope this helps!

Have fun!

~Robin

Hi Donna,

We were a group of 10 family members on the 10am excursion. We booked through NCL only because we wanted to ensure we were able to go together. My sister and her husband gave the excursion as Christmas presents to her family.

When i looked up the 10am excursion for that day on islandtourcenter.com about 3 weeks before our actual sailing, they showed only 5 spots left, and I didn't want to miss out, so I called NCL to book it.

I would say there were about 30 people on our cat trip, but there's no way to tell who booked through the ship and who didn't. I didn't ask anyone. We were met at the end of the Heritage Wharf pier where Breakaway was docked. The more people the merrier on this one!!!

I hope this helps!

Have fun!

~Robin

30 people sounds great! The boat holds 75, now that's way to many :eek:

It said there were only 5 spaces when I booked today.

Thank you again for your help :D

Found it on RC page under Shore Excursions

Ultimate Catamaran Swim, Sail & Snorkel - BK18

Board the Rising Son II Catamaran for a day of fun and variety. Snorkel, Kayak, Paddleboard, swim or just lounge. One complimentary beverage included and a cash bar is available during your return cruise. Participants must be competent swimmers. :)

We're going to Bermuda in September, and this tour is not available :( We only have 3 snorkeling excursions available:

Bermuda Triangle Shipwreck Snorkel - BK04

Catamaran Coral Reef Snorkel - BK43

Devil's Isle Cruise Beach Snorkel - BKF8

Has anyone done any of these? I thought the Catamaran tour would be the same one, but it's on a boat called "Restless Native". Shame, I was looking forward to the Rising Son II after everyone's great reviews!!

We're going to Bermuda in September, and this tour is not available :( We only have 3 snorkeling excursions available:

Bermuda Triangle Shipwreck Snorkel - BK04

Catamaran Coral Reef Snorkel - BK43

Devil's Isle Cruise Beach Snorkel - BKF8

Has anyone done any of these? I thought the Catamaran tour would be the same one, but it's on a boat called "Restless Native". Shame, I was looking forward to the Rising Son II after everyone's great reviews!!

Restless Native gets very good reviews also! I think it might be a bit smaller and Rising Son II offers more amenities (except the cookies) :D

I booked right through http://www.risingsoncatamaran.com/ for the first day so there are no worries of making it back to the ship on time :eek:

They are very good at communicating via e-mail too.

Restless Native gets very good reviews also! I think it might be a bit smaller and Rising Son II offers more amenities (except the cookies) :D

I booked right through http://www.risingsoncatamaran.com/ for the first day so there are no worries of making it back to the ship on time :eek:

They are very good at communicating via e-mail too.

Oh great idea! I had forgotten that we are in Bermuda for three whole days so I wouldn't have to worry about that. Definitely something to consider, thanks so much! :D

Restless Native Catamaran gets our vote.:D Zander Dill and his crew were terrific. This was the second time in the past seven or eight years we sailed with them. We sailed this past Friday to a cove where we dropped anchor and had over 2 hours of exploration time in the caves and island; saw many fish and some squid. Rum swizzles were served throughout as well as fresh baked chocolate chip cookies -- yum!

Just wondering if you have any idea as to where they take you when you go with a booked excursion or if anyone does the snorkeling on their own. If you do it on your own, where do you go? Hubby doesn't like crowds plus you usually get to see more with less people.

Restless Native Catamaran gets our vote.:D Zander Dill and his crew were terrific. This was the second time in the past seven or eight years we sailed with them. We sailed this past Friday to a cove where we dropped anchor and had over 2 hours of exploration time in the caves and island; saw many fish and some squid. Rum swizzles were served throughout as well as fresh baked chocolate chip cookies -- yum!

NYR Fan, did you book through the ship?

To CruiserJ&C21 -- we did not go on our own; there were about 20-25 others on board the Restless Native which is a tour company. I don't remember the name of the cove we visited; it was about 15-20 minutes from the cruise ship pier.

• 2 weeks later...