PHL - US Air Domestic to Trans-Atlantic

toberman

I've finally booked flights CLT-PHL-ATH return (same route). Layover both ways in PHL is 3-4 hours, so that (hopefully) works.

It appears that US (domestic) goes into terminals B, C, and A-East.... unless it's a RJ which would go to terminal F. Trans-Atlantic departures are from A-West.

I'm scheduled on a wide-body in and out of PHL to CLT, but know that can change, so I should end up at B,C, or A-East in PHL. If I end up getting changed to a RJ then I'll go to terminal F from which US offers an 'airside' shuttle to A-East.

Question is... going from B or C terminals to A-West - are there any people movers etc? Looks like a looooong walk and wife is not able to walk that far without stops. Just planning. Thanks all.

Question is... going from B or C terminals to A-West - are there any people movers etc? Looks like a looooong walk and wife is not able to walk that far without stops. Just planning. Thanks all.

They have the motorized carts to get you to the different terminals/gates.

Have used them several times at PHL.

If you phone the airline or ask your travel agent to add a note on your reservation you may discover that at most large airports they will have an agent with one of those powered golf carts waiting for you and zip you over to the connecting gate.

Not certain of the specifics at PHX. I have only ever done Air Canada (YYZ-PHX-Rome) route. It is a long walk from where Air Canada and US have their gates.

Edited by em-sk

There are moving walkways., but depending on the gate, (I seem to always get the farthest one ) it could be a walk. I have noted, the carts can be "selective". They aren't just for able bodied people who want a ride.

I just left out of A east last month. a usual walk for me, pushing my husband in a wheel chair. :)

A few notes...

There are moving walkways, but they only cut out about 30% of the walk between A West and B or C. There is a moving walkway between B and C, but it's hidden behind a wall along the windows and most people miss it. If you need to go to F, you will still need to take the bus, you can't take a cart the whole way. The walk in F can also be quite long, and there are no moving walk ways there.

It is a full mile from the furthest gate in A West to the furthest gate in C as an FYI. Nice walk and stretch if you are in good health, difficult if your aren't or are dragging kids along.

Edited by ducklite

Can you stay all airside now at PHL? I had a connection there that went from Delta to Air France (AF doesn't fly out of PHL anymore) back a few years. Had to walk outside to from one terminal to another. The walk wasn't bad, but the TSA checkpoint there was horrendous. It was over 30 minutes waiting in line, and nasty barkers barking at us the whole time. Swore me off any connection, anytime at PHL...

Can you stay all airside now at PHL? I had a connection there that went from Delta to Air France (AF doesn't fly out of PHL anymore) back a few years. Had to walk outside to from one terminal to another. The walk wasn't bad, but the TSA checkpoint there was horrendous. It was over 30 minutes waiting in line, and nasty barkers barking at us the whole time. Swore me off any connection, anytime at PHL...

Via bus, yes. You can get from A to E without leaving the sterile concourse by foot, getting to F still requires taking the bus (still sterile). I have heard that eventually the entire sterile concourse area will be accessible by foot, but that's still probably several years off.

ducklite.... thanks for that info - I was looking for info on the moving walkways, that really helps. Especially looking for the one from C to B.

My guess, looking at airport diagrams was a mile from the end of C to the end of A-West, thanks for the confirmation.

ducklite.... thanks for that info - I was looking for info on the moving walkways, that really helps. Especially looking for the one from C to B.

My guess, looking at airport diagrams was a mile from the end of C to the end of A-West, thanks for the confirmation.

As you come out of C into the connecting area you'll see the coffee shop kiosk in front of you.

Keep to the left and right after gate 18 as soon as you can make a left turn, that's where the moving walk way that connects B to C is. (If you end up in the shopping area, you've missed it, it begins behind the watch place--I think it's called Flight Time or something like that.)

Follow that to the end. I want to think it "ends" at about the halfway point and then about 15 feet later starts up again. When it actually ends at the entrance to "B" there will be a shoe shine place, and you might be able to see either the sign indicating the line for Dunkin Donuts or the NBC News Shop. You'll also see to your right an elevator door which is how you get up to the US Airways Club, and there is usually signage for that as well. Walk slightly to the right between the corner of NBC News and the security guard and that will be the corridor to the "A" Terminal. Despite lot's of signage, I've seen many people turn to the right and walk out of the sterile concourse at that security guard, go between him/her and NBC News and you'll be fine.

There is a moving walkway between "B" and "A" East (which is often broken) and another in the connector between "A" East and "A" West. The "A"'s are the longest part of the walk with some inclines, and I urge you to take an electric cart from the "B" area to anyplace in the "A's" if you don't take one from your gate to begin with. Any gate agent can call one for you, even though they'll probably huff about it. (Electric carts are only for US Airways, if you are flying another carrier you'll need to use a wheelchair.)

A few more things... I have lost track of how many times I've flown CLT to PHL, a few dozen minimum, and I've never been on a regional jet on any of those flights. The chances of coming into F from CLT are slim to none. With a 3-4 hour layover, I would walk slowly to the Marketplace and have a nice lunch/dinner at one of the restaurants or the food court. (I'm partial to Legal Seafoods.)

From there go to the closest US Airways gate and ask them to call for an electric cart for you.