180 Day World Cruise

Dcoy

I read yesterday in the USA Today that the Oceania Insigina will do a 180 day world cruise in 2015. Leaving Miami Jan 10th and returning July 8th.

Think of the planning and cost to book this. You better make sure you pick the right cabin as it will be your home for 1/2 year.

Don

I read yesterday in the USA Today that the Oceania Insigina will do a 180 day world cruise in 2015. Leaving Miami Jan 10th and returning July 8th.

Think of the planning and cost to book this. You better make sure you pick the right cabin as it will be your home for 1/2 year.

Don

Wow! My dream cruise! Hapag Lloyd does one that is 175 days but my German is very limited.

It is a long one.

I've taken 108/109 day ones and also have been on for 120 days on a different line.

For anyone taking such a long voyage I would be sure you have sailed that ship before. There are some ships we could do a cruise that long and others we couldn't.

Keith

Keith, wondering if you have done any long (50+ days) on Oceania and if so what you thought of it.

We are currently booked on the Princess Jan. 2015 w/c but are thinking of moving over to Oceania as the early booking discount makes the 2 cruises about the same daily price.

Waynetor, I have not doen anything on Oceania. We have taken several World Cruises mainly of 108 days with Crystal Cruises.

Reading through the information about the Oceania World Cruise I saw many positives about it. I would caution on a few items.

-The itinerary is West to East which means a lot of time changes throughout the cruise involving forwarding the clocks.

-I could be wrong but I am not sure how many people will sail the full World Cruise. One of the nice aspects of the full World Cruise are that there are many people who stay on the entire time and you really have the opportunity to bond with them. That includes both passengers and crew. Interestingly enough most of the officers would not be on the entire time plus many of the crew.

-The ship. I would have thought it would have been interesting if one of the two newer ships were used for this although pricing might have been an issue since it likely would have to have been priced higher.

With that said, as I mentioned there are certainly many nice attributes to consider.

Keith

Keith, Lord knows that I have flown West to East too many times with the resulting jet lag. Since ships are much slower, timing would not seem so bad...or does it eventually catch up with you?:eek:

Keith, Lord knows that I have flown West to East too many times with the resulting jet lag. Since ships are much slower, timing would not seem so bad...or does it eventually catch up with you?:eek:

It's actually worse on the ship. When we fly it's hard but we get over it all at once. This way there will be a lot of forwarding the clocks. Yes, we did it in 2012 when we went from Japan to Los Angeles on the last leg of the WC but it was a Pacific Rim cruise so there was no choice. On this one there is. I will tell you that when you have to forward the clock one hour each say for 8 of 10 nights it get old. I really like East to West and realize it's not always an option but they could have done it on this one in my humble opinion.

Keith

I have the opportunity the experience both east and west bound time changes as my world voyage starts in Florida, travels to Sydney and turns around and returns to Florida. Eleven time changes, each way.

Loose a day then gain a day. We celebrate Saint Patrick's twice as we cross the international date line on that date. Two days of green beer. :D

Don

I did a Transatlantic on her several yrs. ago in rough seas. She may not have had stabilizers; remember a really rough ride. But a wonderful small ship. Not much to do but perfect service . Food style just to my taste. Very fresh menus. I remember kitchen staff shopping at local markets in Europe. But, on 180 days pool too small, activities, lectures probably miniscule.I guess for me boring would be operative word on WC.

I did a Transatlantic on her several yrs. ago in rough seas. She may not have had stabilizers; remember a really rough ride. But a wonderful small ship. Not much to do but perfect service . Food style just to my taste. Very fresh menus. I remember kitchen staff shopping at local markets in Europe. But, on 180 days pool too small, activities, lectures probably miniscule.I guess for me boring would be operative word on WC.

Your points are excellent.

I think the type of ship is very important consideration on a world cruise.

We were very hesitant several years ago taking a world cruise given the amount of time on a world cruise. When we made the decision to do it the type of ship was very important to us.

For example, we have sailed some very small ships and enjoyed that for say a 18 day sailing but we weren't going to do that for 108+ days. We would get bored after awhile.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Keith, wondering if you have done any long (50+ days) on Oceania and if so what you thought of it.

We are currently booked on the Princess Jan. 2015 w/c but are thinking of moving over to Oceania as the early booking discount makes the 2 cruises about the same daily price.

The longest I did on Oceania was 25 days and it went very quickly. Our 28 day Princess seemed longer because we had more sea days. The Oceania World cruise is very port intensive, so I think it would go faster than a cruise with a lot of sea days. I love the small Oceania ships.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived