maps of port cities?

My husband and I are going on our first cruise together. We would like to explore most ports on our own.

I would like to get a map of each city centre. I prefer not to have to print them from google/the internet.

How can I get a map? Will they have them onboard the ship? If I write to each tourist board will they send me one?

Probably depends a bit on where you are going. At most European ports we've done, there is often someone from the local tourist board dockside handing out free maps. Try googling tourist information at your ports...some have an option on their websites to send you maps and info. Most places I just google for a map and print it off...normally it works out OK (haven't missed the ship yet through taking a wrong turn!!:D)

Simon

"Maps" provided by ships are invariably useless - of an inappropriate scale & with little information. They concentrate on showing where their recommended* shops are. There are usually good free maps available at cruise terminals, though that's no good for advance planning.

Hop-on bus routes (most have their route maps on their websites, but you need the operator's website, not just ticket agencies) are usually ideal, they're a good scale & show the main sights which of course are mainly along their routes.

Usually other useful maps on the web.

Googlemaps, as you've probably found out, isn't good because sights come & go according to the zoom level, and some major sights aren't even shown.

And I can never figure how to get good value out of a piece of paper with googlemaps :rolleyes:.

JB :)

* Translation of "recommended" is "pay the cruise line a kick-back" ;)

Edited by John Bull

I just went through this exercise because I want to pre-plan so need the map in advance. Have the Copenhagen map in hand. Oslo, Helsinki, and Gothenberg replied that they would mail me a tourist map. Could not find one for Berlin. Tallin's is to print at home only and don't need one for St. Pete. I went to the official tourism site for each city and sent a request.

Must chime in - I am a librarian. Most libraries have an excellent selection of travel guides. Borrow them, read them, make copies of the maps and other info that will help you. Not saying don't use the other resources mentioned, just saying don't forget the library!

You want maps, local info, ANYTHING about all the ports you are going, just Google each port, find the link to their tourism site and email them EXACTLY what you want and need. They will be more than happy to mail you whatever you ask for.

We wanted a walking tour map of Copenhagen, we did what I said and received several wonderful maps, with some great walking tours and many other great ideas of things to do. We did the same for Stockholm and Helsinki. We had printed out one for Tallinn, and a fellow CCer gave us one for Rostock, where we had planned to go from Warnemunde.

I am one who likes to have a plan A in place before we go and a Plan B in place when we get there if Plan A isn't very good. Having these in advance helped tremendously.

Cheers

Len

You want maps, local info, ANYTHING about all the ports you are going, just Google each port, find the link to their tourism site and email them EXACTLY what you want and need. They will be more than happy to mail you whatever you ask for.

We wanted a walking tour map of Copenhagen, we did what I said and received several wonderful maps, with some great walking tours and many other great ideas of things to do. We did the same for Stockholm and Helsinki. We had printed out one for Tallinn, and a fellow CCer gave us one for Rostock, where we had planned to go from Warnemunde.

I am one who likes to have a plan A in place before we go and a Plan B in place when we get there if Plan A isn't very good. Having these in advance helped tremendously.

Cheers

Len

Thanks! this is great. I just wasn't sure if the tourist offices would do this! Hope my maps arrive in the mail soon!

Cheers

Len

Yes! I have discovered that having a plan "B" makes plan "A" behave much better ;)

Also, if you are a AAA member ask them - they have a huge array of maps and travel guides, some of which may need to be ordered (many are on hand at your local office, but more likely "Spain & Portugal" than a Barcelona detail map at least at our local branch).

...Usually other useful maps on the web.

Googlemaps, as you've probably found out, isn't good because sights come & go according to the zoom level, and some major sights aren't even shown.

And I can never figure how to get good value out of a piece of paper with googlemaps :rolleyes:.

I have also noticed that many online mapping sites are not particularly print friendly! Not sure why...

For making online maps fit on a piece of paper, I use a combination of free screenshot capture software and pasting into spreadsheet or word processing programs to get the size I want & to be able to add info on sites. If you have addresses lined up, you can make your own multi-pinpointed site map using the website http://batchgeo.com/. Sometimes the Michelin map site is easier to use than google or mapquest imo.

Yes! I have discovered that having a plan "B" makes plan "A" behave much better ;)

Also, if you are a AAA member ask them - they have a huge array of maps and travel guides, some of which may need to be ordered (many are on hand at your local office, but more likely "Spain & Portugal" than a Barcelona detail map at least at our local branch).

I have also noticed that many online mapping sites are not particularly print friendly! Not sure why...

For making online maps fit on a piece of paper, I use a combination of free screenshot capture software and pasting into spreadsheet or word processing programs to get the size I want & to be able to add info on sites. If you have addresses lined up, you can make your own multi-pinpointed site map using the website http://batchgeo.com/. Sometimes the Michelin map site is easier to use than google or mapquest imo.

For Stockholm there are several other options hen google and mapquest.

Swedish options such as http://kartor.eniro.se/ or http://www.hitta.se/karta#center=6580592:1628992&zl=10&bounds=6120416:-279712,7865312:3652448&rlm=1&type=map

Then there is international map services like open street map: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/59.3290/18.0696

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I did what one of the posters suggested - emailed the tourism boards at each location. I just received my maps in the mail. Like one of the others mentioned - their maps are a bit better options than google that is limited to an A4 size and doesn't always highlight what you would need as a tourist.

Have you thought about downloading a few apps? I use the Trip Advisor city guides and an app called Ulmon (city maps 2 go)

Both are easy http://www.tomsportguides.com/portguides.html

Here's another vote for the Ulmon App. It is great. You decide which maps to download before the trip. Then, no need to use phone data at all to access them while traveling.