Bringing a 9-year old on PG?

MarLieb

Hi! We are contemplating doing PG next summer with our 9-year old on one of the cruises where they offer their Ambassadors program for children. I was just hoping to get feedback from other families who have done PG and the Ambassadors program with older children? Were there other children their age on the voyage? I feel I should mention, my son is a seasoned, well-behaved and inquisitive traveler who loves nature, water sports, etc. and engaging with others his age.

I remember when I was on the PG in 2006 the Captain asked a child of about 8 whether it was her first cruise. She responded that she had been on Regent 7 times.

Your child will enjoy the ambassadors program. I have seen a number of kids in the summer months eating dinner at Le Grill with ship staff.

My only suggestion is if he doesn't know to snorkel teach him before as he will have loads of fun. They also allow parents on some of the excursions as well.

Edited by Emdee

I don't have any first-hand experience. But from what I've seen and heard, the Ambassador programme is something pretty special. Also, a fair number of grandparent-age passengers are likely to make a fuss over him. So he may end up very environmentally conscious and somewhat spoiled. Both sound pretty good to me.

The key here is your going during a week that the Ambassador program is running and it's summer. There will be several other kids on board with many of them a similar age as your 9 year old.

The great thing about the PG is it's size. Large enough for there to be others of similar age but not so many that you get lost in the masses .......

You'll be fine and I'm sure this will be a trip that will stand out from others in the years to come

• 2 weeks later...

We took our 8 yr old son and 17 yr old daughter this past summer and they had a wonderful time. My 8 yr old has cruised a lot (20+ times) and says the PG was his favorite. Even though the program is for 9-17 yr olds they let him tag along on some of the Ambassador programs with his sister, and he loved it. He enjoys the water and science so it was right up his alley. I was worried he might be bored without all the things he was used to on the big cruise ships he has sailed in the past, but that was not the case. The counselors were fantastic and we found them very knowledgeable- go to their lectures if you can!