Taking medications with me to Singapore?

MetravelUtoo?

I have read the posts on this thread from 2014 and have also reviewed Singapore's guidelines on the web, which by the way almost made me want to cancel my upcoming trip...been a long time since I was "caned" for anything!:eek:

Traveling with mi madre 85, and I'm 50. We both take quite a few vitamins, supplements and a few maintenance drugs for cholesterol etc. I also like to pack different OTC & RX meds "just in case". A couple of my "just in case" RX are controlled or prohibited and require pre-approval etc. Note, I had planned on taking very small amt and have current prescriptions for all.

Anyone have more recent experiences or advise? Not sure if the extra hassle is worth it. I wouldn't have a problem bringing the controlled meds in the RX bottle but can't image packing all the others in original bottles when we normally just use little pill organizers.

We are arriving in Singapore via airport on 03/11 and leaving on 16 nt cruise on the 13th. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!!

I've never had a problem with medications in Singapore but I always take them in their original packaging. I think that is important.

Also take a photocopy of the prescription from your doctor.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We have been to Singapore 3 times and no. 4 planned for April. We have never had any problem with drugs/prescriptions. The advice to have everything in original container, labeled with your name, and a copy of your prescription (or a letter from your Doctor) is very good advice and we do this even when we are travelling to the United States.

As for canings, we have never seen any problems. Most people know how to keep a low profile in a foreign country. The Singaporeans are a very polite and gentle nation. The subways are clean, absolutely no graffiti and on time. Just one word of advice - DO NOT TAKE GUM of any form with you. They do not tolerate it at all.

I'm a Singaporean and lived in California before. Singapore is probably very much safer than California. I'm not sure what you have read but whatever you read do note we don't cane genuine visitors to our country unless you intend to do similar what that American Michael Fay did when he was in Singapore. Most Singaporean felt that the number of strokes he got his caning shouldn't be reduced for what he did here.

As for medication, it had already been answered.

In all our visits to Singapore, I've never declared or taken a letter descibing the medicines I am carrying - be they prescribed or over the counter. I have had my most important medications in my hand luggage, both entering and leaving Singapore, in their original packaging, and have never been questioned or searched. Nor have I gone the red route through customs. But I would certainly obtain a letter from your GP, which if nothing else will put your mind at rest.

Enjoy singapore it a wonderful city & have a marvellous cruise :D

In all our visits to Singapore, I've never declared or taken a letter descibing the medicines I am carrying - be they prescribed or over the counter. I have had my most important medications in my hand luggage, both entering and leaving Singapore, in their original packaging, and have never been questioned or searched. Nor have I gone the red route through customs. But I would certainly obtain a letter from your GP, which if nothing else will put your mind at rest.

Enjoy singapore it a wonderful city & have a marvellous cruise :D

Thank you so much!!! I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I shall certainly pay it forward!

~Jyl

I take my meds in origional packaging and a letter from my GP stating what I am carrying.

Prior to travelling I count the days of travel add maybe 5 or so extra days to cover any delay in returning home, and put those meds away for the trip. It means if all goes well I will be returning with many packages of only 5 tabs making it lighter and easier. I do like the blister packs for this purpose as I can cut off the extras of a strip to leave home. I also have to take filled syringes of a blood thinner. Don't take extras of them as they are already an issue due to having to keep out of the heat.