Girona from Barcelona...need help planning

SF

We are trying to decide between taking a guided tour which can get expensive for three people or venturing there on our own by train.

Have some questions I hope others can help us with so we can make a decision soon.

1. I noticed you can pick up a train from Sants station or Passeig de Gracia to Girona but I am finding it hard to understand the RENFE schedule. Are there any trains around 9 or 9:30am for a Saturday in October? What is the cost for a return ticket? I believe it's about 90 mins. from Barcelona, is this correct?

2. Once in Girona how hard and how far is it to view the main attractions? We'd be interested in seeing the Historic Jewish Quarter, maybe a walk around the original walls of the town, the Arab Baths, the Houses on the Onyar, Sant Martí area, the shopping area and a good area to grab a light lunch.

Any help on costs and planning our day would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to compare the cost on our own vs. a tour. We know a tour would be more but we're trying to see how much more as our time is valuable also being there for such a short period. If we have to figure in taxi's plus the cost of the train (not sure of the price for ticket) it may just pay do opt for the little extra and go private.

I appreciate you taking the time to share the website but I already have it bookmarked but am having trouble navigating it to find the correct times and cost for the Passeig de Gracia station in Barcelona to Girona.

Which links do I use on the site...not sure of the train classification... is it commuter, medium distance etc...

We are trying to decide between taking a guided tour which can get expensive for three people or venturing there on our own by train.

Have some questions I hope others can help us with so we can make a decision soon.

1. I noticed you can pick up a train from Sants station or Passeig de Gracia to Girona but I am finding it hard to understand the RENFE schedule. Are there any trains around 9 or 9:30am for a Saturday in October? What is the cost for a return ticket? I believe it's about 90 mins. from Barcelona, is this correct?

2. Once in Girona how hard and how far is it to view the main attractions? We'd be interested in seeing the Historic Jewish Quarter, maybe a walk around the original walls of the town, the Arab Baths, the Houses on the Onyar, Sant Martí area, the shopping area and a good area to grab a light lunch.

Any help on costs and planning our day would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to compare the cost on our own vs. a tour. We know a tour would be more but we're trying to see how much more as our time is valuable also being there for such a short period. If we have to figure in taxi's plus the cost of the train (not sure of the price for ticket) it may just pay do opt for the little extra and go private.

We did this in May of this year. The return (roundtrip) ticket was 14.80 euros per person. When you purchase a ticket for Girona, ask them which platform you need to go to. You have to go to the platform that says the name of the last place that line stops. It is very confusing. The platform we were directed to said Cecbere, France, because that is where the line ended. You can get a schedule that shows the stops along the way. When you get off the train in Girona, walk out the station, go left. Walk until you come to a large modern looking building in a large square. An information office is in this building. There was a guy who spoke English when we were there. He gave us a map and pointed us in the right direction. The old walled town is very interesting.

We also took the train to Tarragona one day, and I really enjoyed it. I actually liked it better than Girona, but they are both nice and worth the effort. We took the train from the Sants station each time.

Thank you for all the great information. Sounds like Girona is very doable on your own by train. Could you tell me roughly how long a walk it is to the main tourist area and the bridge?

Also, did they accept credit card to purchase the train ticket or is it strictly cash? Is there a person there to help you purchase your ticket or is it done through the machine which at times can be confusing?

Girona is very doable by youself by train. We went to Sants to make sure we understood the schedule and got the correct tickets. Make sure to validate them before you enter the platform. At Sants this is easy since you walk through a turnstyle. In Girona you have to remember to put your ticket in the orange machine.

The call is about a ten minute walk from the station. Walking through the call you will reach the cathedral.

If you are going to shop, the stores did observe siesta starting at about 1:30.

Here is a link to my pictures.

http://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/362

SF, I had tried to post a link to the train times for this coming Saturday. If you give me the date you wish to travel I will check the times and post them.

At Sants station you will find helpful english speaking staff, I don't know about Girona since we have only passed through!

SF, I had tried to post a link to the train times for this coming Saturday. If you give me the date you wish to travel I will check the times and post them.

At Sants station you will find helpful english speaking staff, I don't know about Girona since we have only passed through!

We would need the times going from Barcelona this Saturday, Oct. 20th. If possible could you post morning times from both Sants station and Passeig de Gracia and afternoon return times from Girona. That would be great if possible and thank you for taking the time.

Appreciate everyone's help in planning this little venture.:)

Barcelona to Girona 20th October

15835 Regional 0646 arr 0817

15057 MD d0746 arr 0903

00370 Estrella d0753 arr 0920

15843 Regional d0846 arr 1022

15909 MD 0946 arr 1103

15845 Regional d1046 arr 1217

15079 MD d1146 arr1303

Girona to Barcelona

15072 MD d 1619 arr1739

15816 Regional 1736 arr1909

15092MD d1819 arr 1939

15920MD d1926 arr 2046

00373 Estrella d2042 arr2206

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more

Yes the departures are from Sants where most of the trains commence. The names such as MD and Estrella are train types that vary from region to region. I will see what the difference in time from Sants is but I expect it to be no more than 5 minutes.

The time differnce is 4 minutes between the 2 stations, Estrella is an express that starts in Madrid and you would need to reserve seats, the MD and Regional trains are the ones you want and star at Sants as far as I can see.

Thank you for all the great information. Sounds like Girona is very doable on your own by train. Could you tell me roughly how long a walk it is to the main tourist area and the bridge?

Also, did they accept credit card to purchase the train ticket or is it strictly cash? Is there a person there to help you purchase your ticket or is it done through the machine which at times can be confusing?

There are people there to purchase tickets from. My husband can speak Spanish, so that helps us a lot. But, there are some people there you can speak English. We never use a credit card to purchase tickets, but I imagine you can use them.

It is not a long walk to the bridge and the old walled part of town. It might be a mile or so. (My husband and I walk for exercise so we are used to walking longer distances.)

Good luck. When in doubt ask someone for help. Most people will do their best to help you.

Archived