Crystal V Silversea

fudge

IMO, you can have excellent, mediocre or poor service from a person who comes from anywhere in the world. Some of the best service we have had are from people from the Philippines -- even though they do not speak English quite as well as in English speaking countries. Our favorite Captain is Scottish, favorite General Managers are Croatian and French. We also adore an Italian and Filipino Restaurant Manager.

When we sail (Regent or Silversea generally), we always get into conversations with the crew. We learned from a lovely bartender (from Estonia) that it is not typical for them to be open with strangers. This is something they are learning to do while working on a ship.

I try not to generalize people. Everyone is an individual, but we are a product of where we were raised. If I were to generalize, I would say that people from the U.S., U.K. and Canada do not make the best employees on cruise ships (except in officer positions). Firstly, at least in the U.S., there are laws protecting people from working the kind of hours that are required on a ship. Also, they are not raised to be subservient and, as you know, passengers on luxury cruise ships can be quite demanding.

The bottom line for us is that if service is good or bad, it doesn't matter where the person is from.

The bottom line for us is that if service is good or bad, it doesn't matter where the person is from.

No I agree but with experience you can learn to separate the good from the bad.

That's why for me Seabourn service has always been better than Silversea.

You will see for yourself if you ever sail with Seabourn.

But until that time.;)

Edited by Mr Luxury

Three years ago, our first night on Whisper. Wine woman approaches our table with a bottle in either hand. "We have this red and white. If you don't like either, you can order from the premium list." Sounds like the same person. That was one of four blunders made within first ten minutes in MDR.

Edited by oregon50

The reason I hate these "law suit" threads, as I call them.....one line vs. another...is that no one can ever win the argument. There will always be those who are partisan to one line and look for any reason to denigrate the other.

The reason I hate these "law suit" threads, as I call them.....one line vs. another...is that no one can ever win the argument. There will always be those who are partisan to one line and look for any reason to denigrate the other.

I suppose that we can all agree that RCCL is not the best cruise line for any of us who post here.

That might be true, but have a feeling Celebrity might look pretty good post April '15.

Oregon 50, your posts are witty and thought provoking, but I dont understand this one. Unfortunately the wizard left at 2 pm so no help on that side.

Regarding Filipino vs other waiters I do believe there is a training school there for cruise hospitality service. The pay is generally commensurate with the cost of living in the Philipines and to work on a cruise ship is considered a good enough job to sacrifice the long time away from family. I find Filipino staff to be almost always very hospitable, kind and charming.

April 2015....Celebrity is to rollout a suite program that could prove to be competition to the so called luxury market. Competition as it should provide a palatable consideration.

Celebrity has always offered the best bang for your buck in the cruise industry.

Celebrity has always offered the best bang for your buck in the cruise industry.

We booked one of the signature suites for my 70th birthday! We will miss some of the new suite benefits,as it is before April 15, but I have to say...even if you are died in the wool SS customers...we have never had an issue with celebrity. I love the new suite perks, and I can have one of the nicest suites at half the price as SS. We are still dealing with SS on an issue since last July. When Celebrity had a problem in the Galapagos last year, we were treated very well and will be going back the end of this year. I find Silversea to have the worst customer service in the industry.

Not to mention our Silver Shadow cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong. I was shocked after sailing all the luxury lines that dirty water coming out of the faucets and poor food was considered 6 star. When we arrived in Hong Kong they did not even have the ability to get currency on board. Thank goodness the Mandarin Oriental was a 6* hotel and put the cab fare on our hotel bill!

Derbylane, I believe Oregon50 is referring to the April 15 deadline to pay taxes in the U.S., a date that leaves much of the populace feeling a little poorer..

Perhaps I am just too thick headed to get it, but your explanation gave me a big laugh and that is always good!