Self-Planned tour with three stops...on the cheap

I plan on showing up to the island in November and have from 8AM until 3PM to do what I do. My preference is to spend some time in downtown Phillipsburg, in Marigot and Orient Beach. Most of the tours have additional stops and don't seem to offer much time in Phillipsburg before my ship departs.

I've thought about going to just Marigot and Phillipsburg via bus as one option. However, that eliminates Orient Beach as a bus doesn't go there from either place. I don't want to pay for a private tour and think my own option may be to rent a car. What is the most economical choice?

John

$4, bus for two to Marigot. Find the bus on Backstreet, downtown Philipsburg.

Taxi for two from Marigot to Orient, $20.

Orient to Cruise Facility or downtown P'Burg for shopping, $18 for two, or wait for a group to form and it's $6 pp.

gary

I did look into his two basic tour options. I even contacted him. My only thing is it takes me places I don't care about and it has limited time in Phillipsburg. I don't want to be too late back to the ship. I'd like at least 2 hours at each location...understanding it may be more like 1.5 hours. I could do it in 1.5 hours each location if the traffic is fair for the bus/taxi.

Must do at Phillipsburg: Yoda Man's shop!

Must do at Marigot: Sarafina's shop and the fort that overlooks the water/town

Must do at Orient Beach: Swim in the ocean and enjoy the sun!

@gtaylor. That may be the best option. Around $50 total. Still cheaper than a tour that doesn't give me all I want.

I may have to plan another cruise to this port to do other lesser desired activities like Maho Beach and the landing of airplanes. That seems too cool!

<snip>

I may have to plan another cruise to this port to do other lesser desired activities like Maho Beach and the landing of airplanes. That seems too cool!

What does this mean?

gary

about lesser desired options. I have about 10 things I'd love to do. But, I don't have three days there. So...I must pick the top 2 or 3. That is what I'm referring to. This seems to be the most interesting port on the itinerary.

about lesser desired options. I have about 10 things I'd love to do. But, I don't have three days there. So...I must pick the top 2 or 3. That is what I'm referring to. This seems to be the most interesting port on the itinerary.

Your time in port seems unusually short for a port stop in St. Maarten. Which ship are you on?

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of six and will be in St. Maarten in Nov. We were thinking of just getting an island tour from shore. What are our chances of this and how much? Dont want to pre-book anything. Not interested in beach time or shopping - just the sights. I know there are 3 ships in port that day so will there be a problem. Thanks.

Kate,

I have been doing a lot of research and if there are enough people...a private tour could be your best bet. Or...if you just paid for a taxi to take you guys everywhere and be exclusively yours for the day. I bet gtaylor (gary) will have a much better answer to this. I've never been there. I don't have the best answer.

I just wish I had 2-3 days at this port to enjoy it all. My guess is I will need to do another cruise to this location another day.

John

I'm not exactly sure what is happening with the Dutch Side Taxi Association website, but it redirects to a private company right now.

The President of the association tells me that they were not hijacked, but are redoing their own website at this time.

I have captured some information from their website about all day tours that apparently do not need to be booked in advance.

th_adt.jpg th_adttext.jpg

(click)

You can read on this board about book-in-advance options, but you rule that out.

gary

Kate,.

I just wish I had 2-3 days at this port to enjoy it all. My guess is I will need to do another cruise to this location another day.

John

We were just there for the 5th time last Nov on the Ruby, only 2 ships were in, traffic was a tad tight. We are there again this Nov, 6 ship will be in, it will be busy. Allow time to get from point to point. You will want to go back again!

And need to, too see a very wonderful country.

Edited by wallie5446

We were there last December and are returning again in December of this year. Last year there were 4 of us and we rented a car (Hertz at the port, $60 for the day) and drove ourselves around. We went to Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho Beach but didnt' get to spend as much time in Phillipsburg as we wanted. This time there will probably just be the two of us (most of the group are doing other excursions) so we are debating between another car and going back to Orient Beach, or just getting the bus to Marigot, then to Maho, and back to Phillipsburg. We would take the ferry into Phillipsburg from the port. $7 pp for all day. How reliable are the buses between Phillipsburt-Marigot, Marigot-Maho, and Maho-Phillipsburg. It seems like the cost would be about half that of renting a car. Of course if we decide on Orient Beach we will just rent the car, but not sure if it is really worth driving back there or not. I'd rather spend more time in Phillipsburg.

We were there last December and are returning again in December of this year. Last year there were 4 of us and we rented a car (Hertz at the port, $60 for the day) and drove ourselves around. We went to Orient Beach, Marigot, and Maho Beach but didnt' get to spend as much time in Phillipsburg as we wanted. This time there will probably just be the two of us (most of the group are doing other excursions) so we are debating between another car and going back to Orient Beach, or just getting the bus to Marigot, then to Maho, and back to Phillipsburg. We would take the ferry into Phillipsburg from the port. $7 pp for all day. How reliable are the buses between Phillipsburt-Marigot, Marigot-Maho, and Maho-Phillipsburg. It seems like the cost would be about half that of renting a car. Of course if we decide on Orient Beach we will just rent the car, but not sure if it is really worth driving back there or not. I'd rather spend more time in Phillipsburg.

If it is just the two of you, it doesn't make sense to rent a car to go to Orient. Just grab a taxi from the dispatch area and be there. Perhaps before your rental car was ready, and probably cheaper.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

Re: the bus, it is dependable, but it is not on a set schedule. They just come by when the driver is ready. It is not a bus system, just a number of bus drivers with no set schedule or even route. If you see an empty bus that says Mullet Bay, you could ask if they want to take you to Marigot, instead.

The bus from Marigot to Maho would involve a 'transfer' and another two dollar charge. You'd have to get off the Marigot-P'Burg bus before it goes over the hill, then walk a hundred yards or so to the KFC and wait for a P'Burg - Mullet/Maho bus.

gary

Gary you are so full of information! I have a few questions....going to be in St Martin in March 2014. Was thinking Bernards tour, but not sure I want to spend much time at Orient. Is it possible to take a taxi to Mullet Bay beach and stay for awhile, then head over to Maho Beach (by taxi) to watch the planes then, again by taxi, back to Philipsburg (was thinking of stopping at GetWet bar). If I'm correct in what I read - I can take a water taxi back to port? We have to be back on board by around 4:15 and we get there at 7 AM. Is this a feasible way to see and enjoy St Martin or am I better off with a Bernards tour? Thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...
Gary you are so full of information! I have a few questions....going to be in St Martin in March 2014. Was thinking Bernards tour, but not sure I want to spend much time at Orient. Is it possible to take a taxi to Mullet Bay beach and stay for awhile, then head over to Maho Beach (by taxi) to watch the planes then, again by taxi, back to Philipsburg (was thinking of stopping at GetWet bar). If I'm correct in what I read - I can take a water taxi back to port? We have to be back on board by around 4:15 and we get there at 7 AM. Is this a feasible way to see and enjoy St Martin or am I better off with a Bernards tour? Thanks in advance :)

Unless you have mobility issues you can easily walk to the port from Phillipsburg as well.

• 4 months later...

I understand that the busses aren't on a set schedule. But how far do they go? are they just within city limits of marigot, phillipsburg, and maho area? we are trying to get to paradise peak and the $22 taxi fare one way is a little pricey. ideas? I do not want a whole tour, as we did our own jeep tour last year and loved it. suggestions? is there a website where i can find this bus system information? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
If it is just the two of you, it doesn't make sense to rent a car to go to Orient. Just grab a taxi from the dispatch area and be there. Perhaps before your rental car was ready, and probably cheaper.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

Re: the bus, it is dependable, but it is not on a set schedule. They just come by when the driver is ready. It is not a bus system, just a number of bus drivers with no set schedule or even route. If you see an empty bus that says Mullet Bay, you could ask if they want to take you to Marigot, instead.

The bus from Marigot to Maho would involve a 'transfer' and another two dollar charge. You'd have to get off the Marigot-P'Burg bus before it goes over the hill, then walk a hundred yards or so to the KFC and wait for a P'Burg - Mullet/Maho bus.

gary

Gary, do you know how long the bus ride is from Phillipsburg to Marigot?

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, We are a group of six incl. a 3 year old and a 6 years old. Would you say renting be more economic? Do they have car seats to rent, too? I'm thinking about this route: philipsburg - marigot - butterfly farm - la galion beach. TIA!

• 2 months later...
Gary, We are a group of six incl. a 3 year old and a 6 years old. Would you say renting be more economic? Do they have car seats to rent, too? I'm thinking about this route: philipsburg - marigot - butterfly farm - la galion beach. TIA!

Were you able to get feedback for this on a different thread? This EXACTLY what we're looking to do and in that order (maybe Phillipsburg at the end). Thanks!

~Lisa :p

Were you able to get feedback for this on a different thread? This EXACTLY what we're looking to do and in that order (maybe Phillipsburg at the end). Thanks!

~Lisa :p

It would probably be better to hit Marigot first, then go across the north end of St. Martin, passing through Grand Case on your way to Le Galion (which is right next to the Butterfly Farm)!then down the east side of the island to Phillipsburg - for your last stop - there is lots of parking along the salt pond if you wanted to shop first and then drive back to the port to drop off the car.