Need Southampton Hotel Recommendation

psygist

I am looking for a hotel in Southampton for a one night stay prior to a cruise, preferably some place convenient to the port and downtown (will be returning a car rental). Would appreciate any recommendations from those that have stayed here.

The Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker.. which is about the closest is getting a bit tattered. The Devere Grand.. too expensive.

Try the Novotel. Centrally located.... walk to shopping.... modern and comfy rooms. Priced right, too.

just returned from brit isles cruise. stayed at the holiday inn, herbert walker drive, right near the port. you cannot walk to the ship but it is a short taxi ride. the hotel is not TOO expensive (we stayed on points) but their breakfast is terribly costly and a poor choice for food. we "pubbed" it on lower High Street (less than 1/4 mile from the hotel) and had a wonderful brunch at 2 for 7 brit pounds. hotel is NOT, in any way, exquisite but has been re-done recently and is decent for the cost.

Hi,

check Holiday Inn, which is next door to AVIS

(near Gate 4 - QEII-Terminal (CUNARD))

check Ibis, which accomodate also EUROPCAR in their building

(near Gate 10 - CityCenter Terminal (RCCL) and Mayflower Terminal (Princess/P&O))

Regards,

HeinBloed

We stayed 1 night at the DeVere Grand & thought it was worth the price. It's walking distance from the train & breakfast is included.

Meg

We're booked for one night post-cruise at the DeVere. Can you please answer a few questions for me?

First, Did you use the train to or from the airport and the hotel (we're flying in/out of Gatwick)? For transportation to/from the port did the hotel offer their shuttle or did you take a cab (how long of a ride is it?)?

Any dining recommendations within walking distance? Looking for a good relaxing pub:D .

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

I recently stayed at the Ibis, and while pretty basic its OK for a night or two for the price. Room was small but for just me it was fine. It's a 5 minute walk from either the National Express bus terminal or the train station. Also a short walk over to the big shopping mall. Right next door is a Macdonalds and TGIF Fridays if you don't feel like heading far for food.

Archived