DANCING ON THE QM2 -- September Update

Slow Foxtrot

We are now in the final week of a four weeks cruise on QM2 from the UK to Canada (via the USA) and Cunard has provided a good variety of dancing opportunities for the social and casual dancer. But first let it be said that, in reality, the much-vaunted QM2 dance floor is simply not big enough for the amount of passengers who wish to dance. Yes, it's a lovely big ballroom but unfortunately the actual dance floor takes up only about a fifth of the total ballroom area. Most of it is seating so the architect was obviously not a dancer!

But all credit to Cunard for providing dancing on every night of the cruise. Normally the evenings begin with dancing to pre-recorded music and this is followed by live music featuring the Queens Room Orchestra under the direction of new leader Andrew Hillier. Congratulations to Andrew for getting the strict-tempos just right. However, the pre-recorded music leaves much to be desired with some of it just unsuitable for strict-tempo ballroom dancing. As good S.T. Dance CDs are easy to find this should be corrected as a matter of urgency.

During the daytime there are free dance classes given by the resident professional dancers Ilona and Wilfried. They give demonstrations of their dancing skills at the various 'Balls' and their Slow Foxtrot demo was the best I've seen on any ship. There are also special Sequence Dancing sessions mainly for the British dancers and these are much appreciated although they mystify most Americans. These are arranged by James Paul who aims to keep all the dancers happy. In addition there are Line Dances, whilst disco dancers are catered for in the G32 nightclub.

It has to be said, however, that on busy nights (especially 'Ball' nights) there is no chance of ballroom dancing in the proper manner. The floor is often chaotic with little room to move and with a variety of 'dances' being performed by budding Fred Astaires, some blundering around the floor in blissful ignorance. The dreaded arm-flailing is also often in evidence.

Nevertheless, anything is better than nothing, but maybe one day a ship's architect will realise that a vessel which carries upwards of 2500 passengers requires a dance floor that will allow sensible dance space to more than around 20 couples. We live in hope. Bit don't hold your breath!

Foxy.

We are now in the final week of a four weeks cruise on QM2 from the UK to Canada (via the USA) and Cunard has provided a good variety of dancing opportunities for the social and casual dancer. But first let it be said that, in reality, the much-vaunted QM2 dance floor is simply not big enough for the amount of passengers who wish to dance. Yes, it's a lovely big ballroom but unfortunately the actual dance floor takes up only about a fifth of the total ballroom area. Most of it is seating so the architect was obviously not a dancer!

But all credit to Cunard for providing dancing on every night of the cruise. Normally the evenings begin with dancing to pre-recorded music and this is followed by live music featuring the Queens Room Orchestra under the direction of new leader Andrew Hillier. Congratulations to Andrew for getting the strict-tempos just right. However, the pre-recorded music leaves much to be desired with some of it just unsuitable for strict-tempo ballroom dancing. As good S.T. Dance CDs are easy to find this should be corrected as a matter of urgency.

During the daytime there are free dance classes given by the resident professional dancers Ilona and Wilfried. They give demonstrations of their dancing skills at the various 'Balls' and their Slow Foxtrot demo was the best I've seen on any ship. There are also special Sequence Dancing sessions mainly for the British dancers and these are much appreciated although they mystify most Americans. These are arranged by James Paul who aims to keep all the dancers happy. In addition there are Line Dances, whilst disco dancers are catered for in the G32 nightclub.

It has to be said, however, that on busy nights (especially 'Ball' nights) there is no chance of ballroom dancing in the proper manner. The floor is often chaotic with little room to move and with a variety of 'dances' being performed by budding Fred Astaires, some blundering around the floor in blissful ignorance. The dreaded arm-flailing is also often in evidence.

Nevertheless, anything is better than nothing, but maybe one day a ship's architect will realise that a vessel which carries upwards of 2500 passengers requires a dance floor that will allow sensible dance space to more than around 20 couples. We live in hope. Bit don't hold your breath!

Foxy.

Yes I understand your dilemma ,but on the new cruise ships

about the same size of the QM2 ,holding 4000 to 5000 passengers and no grand ballrooms.....you may appreciate what you have on the QM2

Cheers

Foxy.

Interesting comments Foxy.

Heard any more about the current band on QV and who will be featured in the late October cruise diary....has Maurice actually left yet and if so who is band leader now?

I am wondering what you mean by there is no room to dance 'in the proper manner'. Personally I feel that the people who insist on using the Queens Room like a competition floor in full ballroom hold, trying to do a full on quickstep, or any other dance for that matter can be a little 'annoying'.

Just my opinion.

I'm a keen dancer, just returning to it after 20-plus years without any dancing. It took me a couple of cruises to adjust but I realised that cruise ships are all about social dancing, not strict ballroom dancing. It's a completely different skill.

I would love the dance floors to be bigger but I'm a realist. On average nights the dances do not cater to enough people to justify a larger size in the ship. Economically a ship cannot afford to put aside too large a space for what might be only a hundred people.

I thoroughly appreciate what we have. I am now learning the new skills involved in floormanship and following on a crowded dance floor. Treat it as a different challenge, rather than a chance to practise skills you already have.

I would love the dance floors to be bigger but I'm a realist. On average nights the dances do not cater to enough people to justify a larger size in the ship. Economically a ship cannot afford to put aside too large a space for what might be only a hundred people.

I thoroughly appreciate what we have. I am now learning the new skills involved in floormanship and following on a crowded dance floor. Treat it as a different challenge, rather than a chance to practise skills you already have.

Dances don't justify a larger floor? Not economical? Then how do they justify wasting 80% of space in the Queens Ballroom on seating and having only 20% for the dance floor?

No matter what floor craft you have you cannot dance when you cannot move on a dance floor!

Somewhere there should be a happy medium, having sufficient space for dancers to dance reasonably freely and for plodders to have their space too. If you had been on the Queen Mary on Ball nights you would realise this quickly enough.

Foxy

Interesting comments Foxy.

Heard any more about the current band on QV and who will be featured in the late October cruise diary....has Maurice actually left yet and if so who is band leader now?

Only know that Maurice Williams is no longer on QM2 but his successor Andrew Hillier (new bandleader) is getting a lot of favourable comments for his band's ability to play correct strict tempo for what is, after all, the Queens Ballroom.

Dances don't justify a larger floor? Not economical? Then how do they justify wasting 80% of space in the Queens Ballroom on seating and having only 20% for the dance floor?

Remember that the Queens Room is not just for dancing. It's the place for afternoon tea as well.

I did not dance during my time on QM2, so I can't remember the situation, but I know that on the QV it can sometimes be difficult to find a seat. You have to go early and stake out your place! :D Dancers are not on the floor the whole time; they need somewhere to sit and rest. Other people enjoy the opportunity to watch the dancers and relax with a drink.

I am wondering what you mean by there is no room to dance 'in the proper manner'. Personally I feel that the people who insist on using the Queens Room like a competition floor in full ballroom hold, trying to do a full on quickstep, or any other dance for that matter can be a little 'annoying'.

Just my opinion.

hear hear!!! can get your jaw broken

Hi, All....

Enjoyed all your comments. Recently, we thoroughly enjoyed dancing aboard the QM2. At times, the dance floor was a bit crowded, but one must always adjust to the crowd. I suspect most people in the large Queen's Room are not dancers.

We thoroughly enjoyed the band, 'XtaSea' in G32... a very good band. Even though the club floor is small, we enjoyed ballroom steps, NC2S, ChaCha, Fox Trot, and various swing dancing to live club band music.

The Queens Ballroom is designed large to accommodate people who go there to socialize, watch the dancers, maybe dance themselves, and from Cunard's point of view.... buy drinks. That's the name of the game.

Absolutely no complaints regarding QM2 dancing. It was so much fun, and we're not "arm-flailers", I guess.

Foxy, suspect you might not like line dancing ditties on the hardwood floor, either. We enjoyed watching those folk have fun, too.

Question, any additional comments on the Queen Victoria ballroom?

Thanks

PS. Remember, there are NO "dance police"

Tom & Carol

If Cunard wants to be a commodity cruise line offering a commodity product, they need to offer commodity prices. To justify a price premium over Carnival, they need to remember what makes them different and market accordingly (not just dancing).

I found that with decent recorded music during the band breaks you can get a lot of time on an uncrowded floor. And I also agree the Caribbean bands are a much under-appreciated resource, they can do some very nice latin when given the opportunity.

What really outrages me are these asinine "party nights" when no alternative is offered elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

I've debated on whether to reply to this or not.

My sailing is still upcoming, but I suppose I'm going to qualify for this category. Not for want of showing off, but for the fact that I actually do not know how to dance any other way? As a hardcore competitor, I haven't done much social dancing at all. It's all down to muscle memory. If I'm in frame, I'm in frame.

That said, as an American Style dancer, I don't know the first thing about Quickstep, so the floor is safe from me on that dance.

I've debated on whether to reply to this or not.

Not for want of showing off, but for the fact that I actually do not know how to dance any other way? As a hardcore competitor, I haven't done much social dancing at all. It's all down to muscle memory. If I'm in frame, I'm in frame.

Appreciate your point that it's difficult for a good dancer to dance in a slovenly way but a basic social foxtrot usually fits the bill on a busy floor. In fact one could teach the basic social foxtrot to a chimpanzee in five minutes.

However, the point is that even this simple dance becomes almost impossible when dancers are jostled and crammed on the floor with hardly any elbow room, let alone floor space. That's how it was at the special 'Ball' nights on QM2 last month.

Of course, with the latin dances the social foxtrot is no use whatsoever.

Those posters who rush to assert that the Queens Ballroom is quite big enough make one wonder exactly what they know about dancing.

As a 'hard core' competitor I would have thought you would have easily been able to dance socially - I've seen ex world champions dance socially

:)

This is what we'll see come next year. :D Like I said, I've never really had the occasion to. Aside from some general dancing on the last night of competitions, danced with my teacher.

Not being a competitive ballroom dancers, but people who enjoy social dancing before dinner and after, will we enjoy the Cinard dance experience? We enjoy dancing on Crystal, but I fear from reading this thread that the dance floor will be filled by people doing "proper ballroom dancing" and we will be uncomfortable dodging the bodies twirling around the floor.

Not being competitive ballroom dancers, but people who enjoy social dancing before dinner and after, will we enjoy the Cunard dance experience? We enjoy dancing on Crystal, but I fear from reading this thread that the dance floor will be filled by people doing "proper ballroom dancing" and we will be uncomfortable dodging the bodies twirling around the floor.

Have no fear. The floor will not be 'filled by people doing proper ballroom dancing'. For most of the time there are too many people on the floor to dance smoothly and progressively. However, you may feel 'uncomfortable dodging the bodies twirling around the floor' but these won't be the bodies of competent dancers! Anything goes on the QM2 dancefloor so just go and enjoy yourself.

Foxy

I fear that these days folk are watching too much 'Strictly' and Dancing With the Stars......to me, this is not ballroom as most folk know it. Years ago when a dance floor was full one would just do a crush step to the music and still enjoy.

The big bands are still quite fabulous, when they get it right, but sadly there is too much playing to the audience now and the so called 'balls' and themed nights don't help those who want to enjoy the proper stuff.

Having said that and to balance my humble opinion, there are times when the 'ballroom' dancers do tend to try and take over the floor, thus putting people off joining in. This happened on my very last voyage on the wonderful Queen Elizabeth 2 and it saddened me.

Best

Judy

Maybe the strictly ballroom, showy, exhibition-orientated, dancing-w/da-Stars type flash-dancers do not know how to dance when his trained partner is taken away.

And..... realize that without his dance step routine, and without his practiced partner, his dancing house of cards crumble.

To put this thinking to a test, one of you gutsy ladies politely ask for a dance from one of these strictly showy ballroom male dancers. See if the poor guy has the ability to enjoy basic steps with you (at your dance skill level) while chatting about the ship's daily activities on a crowded ship's dance floor.

The real mark of a talented dancer is the ability to adapt to the skill level of his partner, and to enjoy his partner's company. And, when he walks you back to your table, assess his graciousness.

BTW, the QM2 Queens Ballroom is quite large and most enjoyable. Simply, go, enjoy! Lastly, don't worry at all about the more advanced dance couples flying around the floor... they are the ones who must precisely guide their steps through the crowd. If, after crashing into 3 or 4 couples, they'll either slow down or leave the floor.... hopefully the later.

Don't concern yourself with these showboat dancers. Simply, go have fun yourself.

Comments from any 'Dancing-with-da-Stars' practiced routine dancers?

Bye

......That said, as an American Style dancer, I don't know the first thing about Quickstep, so the floor is safe from me on that dance.

Yes, but it's not safe from many of your fellow Americans. On the crossing from Southampton to New York we could do reasonable quicksteps. As soon as we left New York for Quebec things changed. When many Americans hear Quickstep music they just do jive and similar dances. This means that the way is then blocked for anyone wishing to do a quickstep which progresses around the floor. The international quickstep is a fairly easy and smooth dance which flows quite nicely on all sizes of dancefloor in the UK. Indeed, it is one of the main dances.

But, as several posters have pointed out, the QM2 ballroom is not the place for reasonable ballroom dancing. More of a chaotic free for all!

At least it's good for a laugh - and that's a plus point.

Foxy

Strictly, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe American-style etiquette is for slower dancers to move to the middle of the floor, which would have left room for foxy.

Bob, mention dancing etiquette to most of the dancers on QM2's last cruise and they would wonder what you were talking about. Obviously, if you don't dance regularly then you've never heard of it. Hence the free for all!

Foxy

Archived