60+cruiser

60+cruiser

We are taking our Grandson on the Liberty of the Seas in October, visiting the port for Rome 23 October. Can anyone recommend a taxi service to collect us from the ship, and take us around Rome, returning to the ship in plenty of time before sailing. The ones I have looked at so far are horrendously expensive!!

I suggest you put "cab in Rome" in the title. CC puts your 'name' there if you don't have a question there. Then no one knows what you're asking. Try posting again with this title and check Rome under ports here. Maybe post there also.

We are taking our Grandson on the Liberty of the Seas in October, visiting the port for Rome 23 October. Can anyone recommend a taxi service to collect us from the ship, and take us around Rome, returning to the ship in plenty of time before sailing. The ones I have looked at so far are horrendously expensive!!

I'm not surprised that the taxi's quote is horrendous considering the distance that Rome is from the port. It takes nearly 2 hours by road. Depending on traffic conditions of course.

Imagine hiring a taxi in Southampton and asking the driver to "take you around" London for about 6 hours. What do you think it would cost? Since you already live in Europe (at least some in the UK will admit they are part of Europe) you should be familiar with the cost of things within the EU. Italy is not much different...price wise. If you want to see Rome "on the cheap" just buy a BIRG ticket and take the train into Rome. A BIRG will cost you about 12 Euros (might be a little more now) and includes round trip regional train to Rome plus all days use of Rome's Metro and Bus system. You can then invest a little money in a decent guide book (we like the Rick Steves guide) and just follow the walking tours.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Don't know what you feel is too expensive. We always use Romecab.com to transfer us between the ship and hotel or airport in Rome. Using costs us 140 euros each way, don't know what there day tours cost but you can check them out on line. They are very professional and relieable. We have used them 4 times, booked on line, pay on day of service. We are booked again this October.

If you look over on the Italy board, you will see many venders who provide tours of Rome, including the wonderful and professional Rome in Limo.

It is not two hours from Civi to Rome. More like 75-90 minutes.

It was 1hr 55mins from exiting the gangway to getting off bus at first tour stop in Rome. Granted it was height of summer, but that was the time it took!

It was 1hr 55mins from exiting the gangway to getting off bus at first tour stop in Rome. Granted it was height of summer, but that was the time it took!

Strange! I can do that drive in about an hour using the A12. If there is a major problem on the A12 there are some alternate routes that would take me about 1:15. I am talking from the Port to a parking garage near Termini.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm not surprised that the taxi's quote is horrendous considering the distance that Rome is from the port. It takes nearly 2 hours by road. Depending on traffic conditions of course.

She would do better to take a train to Rome and then get a car service. still pricey. That is why we just when with a tour booked on ship $195 a person; but none of it is cheap.