Weather on a Pacific Coastal end of April

emerald777

impossible to predict .... might be sunny and 75 all the way, or, rainy windy and 50.

Best thing to do is look at a 5 yr history using a site like wunderground. Plug in the ports, the dates and go back 5 yrs. Maybe start with Vancouver since that's the most northerly port.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/

Edited by mapleleaves

We are doing a LA to Vancouver, BC the last week of April. Anyone have an idea of what the weather will be like? Thanks!!

We did a repositioning cruise a few years ago from San Francisco to Vancouver. The weather was very nice but windy. Especially San Fran and Astoria.

I live in California. 2 days ago it was 80 °. Today it's about 68 and windy. We may get some rain in a few days or maybe not. So what I am trying to say is check the weather channel for right before your cruise and pack accordingly.

Same here. I also live in So Cal. It's definitely not tropical at the end of April. Today it's beautiful sunny and 70, but too cool to swim. Could be a little drizzly or cloudy.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I just got off a three-night on the 22nd of March - LA to Vancouver. Weather was sunny the first two days, and most of the third day until about 5pmish.

Typically, we've had pretty awesome weather on the late April - mid May sailings. I recall one rough night in like 7 northbound repos.

As others have said it can be warm and sunny or rainy and stormy. Have had both for this itin.

Also the ride north can be bumpy as you're going against the Alaskan Current.

I'm from Seattle - think gray, cool, sometimes rainy, with a little spring sunshine. One of my first cruises was a Pacific Coastal from LA to Vancouver. The onboard shops totally sold out of sweatshirts and anything resembling a jacket.

The Pacific Ocean is a cold ocean and the winds that blow off the ocean are cool. Reiterating the advice of other cruisers: check the forecasted weather, including winds, and consider layers.

When you talk about weather in California, you need to narrow in on what part. The typical climate of San Diego is different from San Francisco. You can't just say the weather right now in California is ---- if someone is interested in Tahoe or Eureka or Temecula.

We've had strong winds up here in the upper San Fernando Valley that has warmed us up quite a bit (even though we still get the cool weather early in the morning) but it's likely that most passengers who come to LA to start a cruise aren't stopping pre- or post-cruise in the Valley unless it's to go to Universal or Warner Brothers.

My previous post was basically directed toward one poster who said the weather in California was.... Doesn't help not to narrow it down, and say whether it's in an area that passengers would visit on a port stop.

When you talk about weather in California' date=' you need to narrow in on what part. The typical climate of San Diego is different from San Francisco. You can't just say the weather right now in California is ---- if someone is interested in Tahoe or Eureka or Temecula.[/quote']

Also hot is a relative term. 73F in Eureka and the locals are passing out from the heat. lol

Also hot is a relative term. 73F in Eureka and the locals are passing out from the heat. lol

My daughter got into the college near there and is excited about the climate -- she's not a sun bunny so the three digit summer weather here is a pain for her.

My daughter got into the college near there and is excited about the climate -- she's not a sun bunny so the three digit summer weather here is a pain for her.

Humboldt? Hopefully she'll love it there as much as our DD does.

Not easy to get back and forth. Either she catches a ride or Greyhound to Oakland then flies home. (It's students and extremely mellow people ;) on that route.)

Humboldt? Hopefully she'll love it there as much as our DD does.

Not easy to get back and forth. Either she catches a ride or Greyhound to Oakland then flies home. (It's students and extremely mellow people ;) on that route.)

She hasn't told her father yet...that should be interesting. She messed up on sending her test scores on time to CSUN, which she could drive to (once she gets her license:rolleyes:). But it's nice it's a college town (which both her father and I eventually ended at -- Santa Cruz and Columbia, MO) and a small number of students. And currently her plan is to major in Environmental Sciences or Environmental Engineering (she's listed as an ERE major and it's supposed to be one of the best places to get that degree). And the marching band there looks like it's a 180 degree turn of her high school one that she dropped out of this year (change of teacher from a dedicated one to a nasty one with a nasty staff who feel field competitions are more important than performing for the fun of performing music).

Like many parts of the country, weather in the spring can be unpredictable. Check out the 10 day forecast (not promise!) shortly before your departure. I live in the SF Bay Area (never San Fran or Frisco). Our winter was unusually mild and, sadly, dry. However, they are predicting drizzly weather for the next few days and we need every drop of it. Also, as someone posted earlier, northern CA and southern CA are different, weather wise. Regardless, have a wonderful cruise!

Supposed to start raining anytime now in Northern California and then here in LA on Tuesday. Will help residents when it comes to conserving water -- won't have to water one's lawn for a few days. But it's snow levels in the mountains that need to be increased to help the drought situation.

Probably by late April, the likelihood of rain to the south will go down, but you can still get rain up north, in places such as San Francisco at that time.