World Cruise and Segments on QE 2017

pberk

Just starting checking pricing and availability ... We did the full world in 2008 on QE2 .. many other trips in between .. This itinerary looks good to us and we might be ready to go round again .. Amy is ready for sure .. but I'm not as sure, although I'm getting more and more up for it too.

Likely we'll get on in San Francisco and go to Southampton --- then take QM2 to New York and fly home to LA where we live.

Any one planning to go? At the end of the day the World cruise is all about who you meet along the way ..

We are getting the sell for the Boomerang cruise, which takes the QE from San Francisco to Sydney segment, then the Victoria back 2 weeks later.

Haven't put down the money yet, but we are quite intrigued.

Have been on the QM2, which is simply a magnificent ship, but have not been on the other Queens. Anyone care to provide some comparisons between QM2, QE and QV?

Bob and Sandi Swanson

Anyone care to provide some comparisons between QM2, QE and QV?

Bob and Sandi Swanson

We'll sailed all the Queens ... most recently on QM2 .. she's showing some wear but that's ok. She's also starting to take on that special feeling we had on QE2 .. mostly due to her guests and crew who keep coming back .. She's the last of the old ocean liners ... traveling in style and all that ... The Illuminations is the very best venue for lectures at sea ..

But right now my favorite is QE .. She is nearly identical to Queen Victoria but I like QE's decor better -- it's toned down -- buttoned down .. The smaller ships both have that advantage (being smaller) .. the Commodore Club (on both) is much nicer (IMO) than QM2 -- I actually like the Lido better than King's Court too .. I also like the position of the Queen's Room (on both) which is more central as it was on QE2 ... I also favor the Verandah specialty restaurant on QE over Todd English on QM2. I love the Catharina Cafe .. and I also like the look of the Britannia Club (single seating). We definitely want to be in there some day .. The Grills on the smaller ships are far better in my opinion than QM2 (lounge and deck area) .. It's hard to beat the Chart Room on QM2 (tops at sea) -- but I do like how the Golden Lion on the new Queens was done -- the Yacht club (to me) is a waste on the new ships -- Of course the QM2 has more venues .. but on the new ships, less can be more.

Overall, I favor the QE, Victoria Second -- unless you are just doing a crossing ... then it is QM2 all the way.

Edited by pberk

We just booked from San Francisco to Southampton. Voyage Q707J .. 92 nights .. We will have one friend with us .. but I'm sure we will make more friends along the way .. We have done so many crossings that we decided not to start this one in Southampton .. We've also been through the Panama canal 3 times over the years (last time on QE in 2011) .. So, living in Los Angeles area, getting on in San Francisco made perfect sense to us ...

This trip is still a long way off .. but part of the fun is anticipating it. Our last World Trip was in 2008. We got a map of the world then and put pins at every port. THat was such a wonderful experience -- due to the friends we made .. we still see many of them from far flung parts of the world.

So ... off we go ..

We'll sailed all the Queens ... most recently on QM2 .. she's showing some wear but that's ok. She's also starting to take on that special feeling we had on QE2 .. mostly due to her guests and crew who keep coming back .. She's the last of the old ocean liners ... traveling in style and all that ... The Illuminations is the very best venue for lectures at sea ..

Overall, I favor the QE, Victoria Second -- unless you are just doing a crossing ... then it is QM2 all the way.

Thanks so much for your insightful comments, very helpful.

• 1 month later...
We just booked from San Francisco to Southampton. Voyage Q707J .. 92 nights .. We will have one friend with us .. but I'm sure we will make more friends along the way .. We have done so many crossings that we decided not to start this one in Southampton .. We've also been through the Panama canal 3 times over the years (last time on QE in 2011) .. So, living in Los Angeles area, getting on in San Francisco made perfect sense to us ...

This trip is still a long way off .. but part of the fun is anticipating it. Our last World Trip was in 2008. We got a map of the world then and put pins at every port. THat was such a wonderful experience -- due to the friends we made .. we still see many of them from far flung parts of the world.

So ... off we go ..

My Father & Mother had travelled a great deal (inclusive of serving in WWll inclusive of D-Day) and years ago he did the map w/ pins and framed it to a 4x6 foot cork board. The pins are all over the map - literally and its one of my favorite things. He's gone now but the map hangs over my bed back at the old family home.

So keep adding to that ap...its a joy to see them!

I am booked for the Cape Town to Southampton leg of the 2017 world cruise. I am going to be traveling alone so would love to get to know people on this forum before I go.

Ok. By way of introduction, a little video (that's my thing, doing videos). We were on the way down to New Zealand on QE in 2013. Amy and I were joined by our friend Elaine who we met on the World Cruise in 2008 on QE2 and Queen Victoria. As I said, the best thing about longer cruises is the friends you make. This should give you an idea of what we get up to on the ship.

• 1 month later...
I see a note attached stating this has sailing has been moved but can't find where it was moved to??? Can someone help with finding the new location.

Thanks, C

Kennykat - - I checked the roll call section. You need to click on "Cunard Line roll calls" then "Queen Elizabeth" and then scroll way down almost to the bottom to the heading "World Cruise and segments on QE for 2017." All the posts from here are over there.

Kennykat - - I checked the roll call section. You need to click on "Cunard Line roll calls" then "Queen Elizabeth" and then scroll way down almost to the bottom to the heading "World Cruise and segments on QE for 2017." All the posts from here are over there.

I guess when I started this thread, I started it in the wrong place. They "moved" it to the Roll Call area where it should be .. but does a post make it rise the top of the list? .. I'm about to find out.

Weird.

I guess when I started this thread, I started it in the wrong place. They "moved" it to the Roll Call area where it should be .. but does a post make it rise the top of the list? .. I'm about to find out.

Weird.

Well. That's the problem. THey moved the thread but if you use the one they "moved" it does not update to the top of the list but stays at the bottom. We can't have that for a World Cruise! I think I'll start a new thread in the right place as 2017 World Cruise is just around the corner -- less than a year away.

Well. That's the problem. THey moved the thread but if you use the one they "moved" it does not update to the top of the list but stays at the bottom. We can't have that for a World Cruise! I think I'll start a new thread in the right place as 2017 World Cruise is just around the corner -- less than a year away.

Strange! Posts usually got to the top of the list. Hope your next attempt is successful. Cheers from one who who was on the 2008 world cruise too.

• 5 months later...
Can anyone tell me if there is a roll call for QE2 out of Sydney to Hong Kong & where can I find it

kj1254

There is a roll call for the 2017 QE World Voyage and Segments here. I noticed someone started a thread on another segment.

We decided a few years ago that splitting the roll calls into different threads became confusing. For example, you are planning an excursion on a segment roll call but someone on the full world would like to take that excursion. If there are separate roll calls for each segment as well as one for the full, you would have to be reading many different roll calls or possibly miss out on something.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done segments both ending in San F and also starting from there to Sydney and had a great time on both. The first time we stayed at the Marriott Fishermans Wharf and the second, the Sheraton Fishermans Wharf. Both were very good and well placed for the Pier and also very convenient for sightseeing and Buses etc. can recommend both. They were lovely.

By the way there is a roll call for the segments on Cunard Roll Calls. The thread is very quiet however, so the more the merrier.

• 3 months later...
Come over to the Cunard section on the Roll Calls thread and there is a group of fellow travellers for the QE World Cruise Segments 2017 to be found there.

Sorry I don't know how to post the direct link - help anyone?

All you have to do is right-click on the address in the address bar on that page, select "copy" and then in the reply box here select "paste". Nothing else to do. It will link automatically.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2306798