Asia ports - tours

neenee61

Hi all, we will be on Millie April 2015 for 17 nights and very excited. In the past (not Asia) have always hopped of the ship and picked up independent tour/taxis at the port, agreed on a price and would take off for a private tour. Has anyone been recently on the Asian cruises and found this was available. Main ports we are looking at are Kaohsiung & Taipei (Taiwan) Nagaskai (Japan) & Busan & Jeju Island (Sth Korea). Have a 2n/3d tour for Beijing arranged with great CC people. The ships tours don't quite do it for me and was looking at winging it when we arrive at each port but not sure if readily available like on Caribbean cruises. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

Nagasaki is a port you can easily DIY via the tram system, depending on what you wish to see - there is an info office at the terminal exit. Busan has a HOHO bus of sorts, and there is a shuttle into town. You should research the port of call boards, recent past roll calls for the same cruise and any member reviews. Other than that the obvious thing is joining the roll call for your cruise?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Edited by harz99

We docked in Keelung last November. There are many taxis outside the terminal. There is someone to coordinate which tour you want to take and assign your driver. They have pictures showing all the places you can visit since the driver may or may not speak much English.

The rate was fixed at 3,300 NTD ($110) for a 7 hour tour. The taxi can be shared by four people. I believe there are taxis that will hold six for a higher rate.

We used these taxis both days in port and were very satisfied with the service.

Nagasaki is a port you can easily DIY via the tram system, depending on what you wish to see - there is an info office at the terminal exit. Busan has a HOHO bus of sorts, and there is a shuttle into town. You should research the port of call boards, recent past roll calls for the same cruise and any member reviews. Other than that the obvious thing is joining the roll call for your cruise?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Big difference in Asian countries/ports IMO is that they are huge cities with lots and lots of people swarming in patterns that are not exactly like ours. I spent a week in Beijing and only learned to fear crossing the street because the traffic rules are not consistant -- so many ways that traffic comes at you so walking difficult. You also do not read the language -- not even the first few letters to note where you are -- so many little shops all about the same -easy to get turned around and headed in the wrong direction. Street signs and warnings are not in a format that you recognize. Many entrances and exits from each site and station and you can be a mile away from where you thought your were. Guides manage to keep the beggars and touts away from you :p a big one for me as I get "bothered" and can't communicate with them. Guides also take you to better shops and if not cheaper -- better experience. Guides know how to use the local ATM's (many you have to know to place your card in a certain slot to open the door). Most local restaurants, taxi and other transport workers, even hotel workers do not speak a word of English so hard to get help in language with characters that take years to learn (DGD is studying Chinese as her school foreign language and it goes very slowly!).

The more I travel and the more the destinations are places that I probably will not visit again due to distance/cost and my age creeping upward: the more I think that an excellent guide who communicates well (as proven by the email exchange before hiring the guide and comments/recommendations of others) and will offer a buffer between me and the confusion of the large masses of humanity going about their daily business.

In the Caribbean, I rarely get off the ship for more than a walk around or some shopping -- rarely a tour or specific sight. In Europe, usually can manage and put together enough words (or enough other people speak "a little English" that I can get along and there are English guides or signs I can figure out. In Asia, the character based language, the huge crowds and chaotic busy traffic -- I want a guide and a very good one.

• 1 month later...

Looking for walkers to share guide in hiking on Jeju Is. We are in our mid 60s but still hike. We are doing the B2B so we will be there the 18th and 27th. Mari-Jo and Larry